The Student Room Group

3 AS levels instead of 4

So essentially due to medical reasons, I had to drop out of my AS last year, and I was curious to know if I would be at a disadvantage if I applied to university with 3 A levels without the additional AS level. I could possibly take up EPQ if that is any consolation. I tried to pick accredited A levels, for the most part, my college does not exactly offer any variety, so I thought Religious studies, English literature, and sociology.

My only issues aside from this are, Psychology, Textiles, and Art, are my only other options, Geography, one of my GCSE A* Grades overlaps with lit, politics was discontinued, History overlaps with RS and its all a giant mess!

I have had appointments and continually up until now, and this bombshell was dropped so late, all other intakes are now finished, I had a lot on for so long, and when I was given the options blocks, all the stuff I seriously enjoyed had been scrapped!

I wanted to do Politics,English literature,RE and perhaps sociology. But I have no GCSEs in Art and it's not my thing at all. So what do I do? Do I stay and only do my 3 and hope I get in?

It's just, everything left on offer has no interest to me, and I would rather focus all my time and energy into 3, as a post as going half-arsed into my 4th subject that I hate and dragging my overall grades down.

So anyone got any opinions?

Are English Literature, Religious studies, and Sociology A-levels enough to send me on my way?

(I have been looking at universities that in the ABB range from Primary education with QTS all the way to politics)

At GCSE I attained:

A*Geography
A*Religious studies
A History
A Literature
A Lang
A DT
A IT
AA Science dual award
C Mathematics (lmao)
Reply 1
I don't think you would be at a disadvantage, my University did not even count the AS Level in my UCAS points total as it was so poor!
I would do 4 if I were you. More UCAS points.
But isn't the UCAS gained from it negligible?
When I did my AS levels I took English, Media Studies (BTEC), History and Film Studies.

I ended up dropping Film Studies because the violent films we had to watch for the course upset me and I wasn't comfortable with the course. Even though I passed the AS Level and probably would have done well it would have just made me unhappy.

I went on to do my two A levels (English and History) and my BTEC in Media Studies.

I did terribly in History and came out with an E grade, frankly I was unwell a lot, missed loads of lessons and when you miss History lessons you miss a lot.
I passed Media with Distinction * and English with a B.

Effectively when I applied for university all I had to impress was one decent A level and a BTEC. I've already completed my first year at university with almost all firsts and I got conditional offers from all five universities that I applied for. Don't worry about only have three A levels at all!
Your GCSE grades are outstanding and it will be good for you to pile all your energy into getting three good grades instead of spreading out your energy over four, one of which you're not enthused about, and end up with more mediocre grades.

It's not as hard to get accepted into university as you think :smile: make sure you have a shining personal statement and show real passion for your subjects and I think you'll do great!
(edited 7 years ago)
I would do 4 if I were you. If your 6th form can't give you the options you require, go to another college
Original post by BanterClaus28
So essentially due to medical reasons, I had to drop out of my AS last year, and I was curious to know if I would be at a disadvantage if I applied to university with 3 A levels without the additional AS level. I could possibly take up EPQ if that is any consolation. I tried to pick accredited A levels, for the most part, my college does not exactly offer any variety, so I thought Religious studies, English literature, and sociology.

My only issues aside from this are, Psychology, Textiles, and Art, are my only other options, Geography, one of my GCSE A* Grades overlaps with lit, politics was discontinued, History overlaps with RS and its all a giant mess!

I have had appointments and continually up until now, and this bombshell was dropped so late, all other intakes are now finished, I had a lot on for so long, and when I was given the options blocks, all the stuff I seriously enjoyed had been scrapped!

I wanted to do Politics,English literature,RE and perhaps sociology. But I have no GCSEs in Art and it's not my thing at all. So what do I do? Do I stay and only do my 3 and hope I get in?

It's just, everything left on offer has no interest to me, and I would rather focus all my time and energy into 3, as a post as going half-arsed into my 4th subject that I hate and dragging my overall grades down.

So anyone got any opinions?

Are English Literature, Religious studies, and Sociology A-levels enough to send me on my way?

(I have been looking at universities that in the ABB range from Primary education with QTS all the way to politics)

At GCSE I attained:

A*Geography
A*Religious studies
A History
A Literature
A Lang
A DT
A IT
AA Science dual award
C Mathematics (lmao)

You're fine. Don't listen to people suggesting to do 4. All 4th AS grade requirements have been dropped for nearly all universities.
Reply 7
The one think I would say is that having a 4th subject would be useful if one of your main 4 didn't go well. For example, at AS I got AAAC, if I had only done 3 I would have got AAC and would have struggled to reach the requirements for top universities. But luckily, I was able to fall back on that 4th subject and managed to get high grades this year. As such, I think doing 4 is a good idea.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 8
If you were to apply to university with only 3, rather than 4, AS levels, you'd be extremely unlikely to be majorly disadvantaged. As others have already mentioned the only real benefit of an additional AS is the additional UCAS points which are unlikely to be useful to you as the degrees you're looking at sound like they are likely to be grade-based (e.g. ABB), rather than points-based (e.g. 320 points) offers.

I only did 3 AS's, having dropped Maths early on in Year 12. I also did the EPQ and, after having spent some time on-and-off on research, got 80% of it written in one afternoon/evening. I got a B in it and it felt like a pretty good trade-off time-wise compared to a year of hard effort in AS Maths for probably a lesser grade/points. If you know what you want to do it on, and think you can do it without affecting the effort you put into your other subjects, then I'd definitely recommend doing the EPQ as it will make up any shortfall in your points. As I say, you're unlikely to need them for Uni in terms of the institutions/degrees that you're looking at but you'll be surprised how often the UCAS points obtained question can crop up in the future when you're applying for placements/graduate jobs.
Original post by GradeA*UnderA
You're fine. Don't listen to people suggesting to do 4. All 4th AS grade requirements have been dropped for nearly all universities.

That name is all I needed to put faith in what you said lmao.
Original post by Pinkberry_y
I would do 4 if I were you. If your 6th form can't give you the options you require, go to another college

Its a tad late to be applying now.
Original post by BanterClaus28
Its a tad late to be applying now.

Well I'm sorry I was only trying to help :frown:
Original post by Pinkberry_y
Well I'm sorry I was only trying to help :frown:

I have tried, its just the fact a lot of places think I just left to have a year off, when in fact I was devastated I had to leave. I might just stick to my guns and stay where I am now, its just a shame :/ I should have really tried to apply earlier, its just I was signed off for a while, and the medication I had stopped me from going, I just don't want to go into an alien environment. It is just annoying.

But thank you so much for the response :biggrin:

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending