The Student Room Group

Bad ukcat results and getting into medicine 2017

Scroll to see replies

Original post by imanonymous123
That's great, I want to apply for either Lancaster or Brighton and Sussex for my BMAT option but I guess I'll just wait until school starts again so I can speak to my head of sixth form.

Yup! I daresay and don't take my word for it, I'm just speculating here but Lancaster may have fewer applicants
Original post by 123ash
Thanks for the reply. I keep telling myself I need to relax. I'm applying for GEM, so really need a high score if i'm to stand a chance, the thought of that makes me VERY nervous!

Good luck with your BMAT!

Good luck in your UKCAT and BMAT! And my recommendation is to go to the toilets before the exam and breathe before you go in. It helped me calm down, well up until I opened the first VR subtest. I hope it goes better for you!
Original post by Pinkberry_y
Yup! I daresay and don't take my word for it, I'm just speculating here but Lancaster may have fewer applicants

Yeah I'll do more research beforehand, it's not like I can submit it before the 1st of September anyway and I really want to improve my personal statement for now.
Original post by Pinkberry_y
What did you get in decision making? Your UKCAT is not the strongest but provided your AS levels are AAAA and you've got good volunteering and work experience you can still apply to some UKCAT places eg keele. Avoid new castle, Kings college and other UKCAT heavy universities though. Will you be applying to one or two BMAT universities?

Keele for 2017 entry is now A*AA and they are eliminating the bottom 20% of UKCAT scores.
Original post by Junioh
just googled it and found this, check out this website: https://www.jobtestprep.co.uk/ukcat_universities
i can only speak for scottish medical schools: aberdeen(yes, if the ukcat score is similar) dundee(yes, same as aberdeen) glasgow(no)

Hello there I'm also a Scottish applicant.
Original post by OneAfrica
Hello there I'm also a Scottish applicant.

hello~ : )
Original post by Junioh
hello~ : )

What universities are you applying to ?
HELP PLEASEJust did my UKCAT and did so bad 1870 so averages to 623!GCSEs : 6A*'s and 3A'sA level predictions: A* A A (maths, bio, chem)Work experience: GP's and attending home visits , week in a hospital + observing surgeries, 6 months part time at a care homeAnd I'm good for extra curricular.The only UKCAT university I'm really fussed about is St.Geogres but I think it's too low to apply. Any advice would be appreciated.I will do the BMAT as I want to go to Sussex.(I was in band 3 for situational judgement lol, but St.Geroges isn't looking at that this year. )
Original post by Asiangirl101
HELP PLEASEJust did my UKCAT and did so bad 1870 so averages to 623!GCSEs : 6A*'s and 3A'sA level predictions: A* A A (maths, bio, chem)Work experience: GP's and attending home visits , week in a hospital + observing surgeries, 6 months part time at a care homeAnd I'm good for extra curricular.The only UKCAT university I'm really fussed about is St.Geogres but I think it's too low to apply. Any advice would be appreciated.I will do the BMAT as I want to go to Sussex.(I was in band 3 for situational judgement lol, but St.Geroges isn't looking at that this year. )

Keele might be worth applying for? They only eliminate the bottom 20% and use the UKCAT for tie breakers. Possibly Bristol too? I did mine today also and got 627- I was hoping for a lot higher :frown:
Original post by 5soslovatoswift
Keele might be worth applying for? They only eliminate the bottom 20% and use the UKCAT for tie breakers. Possibly Bristol too? I did mine today also and got 627- I was hoping for a lot higher :frown:

Thank you I hope it all goes well!!
Thank you I hope it all goes well!!

No problem, thanks you too!

Woooo BSMS <3 slightly partial haha

I would probably say leave St Georges - last year their cut off was 650. Your predicted grades and work experience look quite good. There's Sheffield (Just about, the cut off is 1850) too. Both unis really like personal statements though. UEA will consider you as long as you have more than 600 - your GCSEs and predictions look good for there. Have you looked at Scottish unis? Aberdeen is an option too, they've interviewed people in the past with lower than your score. Don't fret, it's not game over :smile:
Reply 32
Original post by AnnekaChan173

I would probably say leave St Georges - last year their cut off was 650. Your predicted grades and work experience look quite good. There's Sheffield (Just about, the cut off is 1850) too. Both unis really like personal statements though. UEA will consider you as long as you have more than 600 - your GCSEs and predictions look good for there. Have you looked at Scottish unis? Aberdeen is an option too, they've interviewed people in the past with lower than your score. Don't fret, it's not game over :smile:

Can I strongly suggest you do your own research and draw your own conclusions when making choices that will affect the rest of your life. Use the university web sites...they are very informative and if in doubt then ring the admissions tutors and ask...they won't bite!

There is a lot of out of date info being banded around...IE this year's cutoff for Sheffield will not be the 1850 quoted...their guidance for this year is more like 2030..per their website....and no they won't be scoring personal statements. Now start digging,
(edited 7 years ago)

Thank you!!!!
Original post by Jir
Can I strongly suggest you do your own research and draw your own conclusions when making choices that will affect the rest of your life. Use the university web sites...they are very informative and if in doubt then ring the admissions tutors and ask...they won't bite!

There is a lot of out of date info being banded around...IE this year's cutoff for Sheffield will not be the 1850 quoted...their guidance for this year is more like 2030..per their website....and no they won't be scoring personal statements. Now start digging,

"In addition to the academic requirements, candidates must have achieved a score of 1850/2700 or above to be given consideration."

To be fair, I didn't realise they had a UKCAT cut off in that sense, I thought it was more a minimum, but you can correct someone without being so catty.
(edited 7 years ago)
Reply 35
[QUOTE="AnnekaChan173;67446778"]"In addition to the academic requirements, candidates must have achieved a score of 1850/2700 or above to be given consideration."

To be fair, I didn't realise they had a UKCAT cut off in that sense, I thought it was more a minimum, but you can correct someone without being so catty.[/QUOTE

The implication of your post could lead towards someone getting the wrong idea about a school's entry process...not withstanding that the general point I was making about checking facts thoroughly first and being responsible for own research. Nothing personal, I wish you all the best with your applications.
[QUOTE="Jir;67448582"]
"In addition to the academic requirements, candidates must have achieved a score of 1850/2700 or above to be given consideration."

To be fair, I didn't realise they had a UKCAT cut off in that sense, I thought it was more a minimum, but you can correct someone without being so catty.[/QUOTE

The implication of your post could lead towards someone getting the wrong idea about a school's entry process...not withstanding that the general point I was making about checking facts thoroughly first and being responsible for own research. Nothing personal, I wish you all the best with your applications.

correcting someone is one thing, but being so abrupt about it is another.

A big group of us on TSR are around often to help applicant queries and yes sometimes (i stress the sometimes) we get things wrong, we welcome all corrections and links to improve our knowledge but please be nice about it.

Best of luck x
Hi,
I recently did my ukcat and got an average of 680, whilst I know this is not bad I have concerns about applying to queen Mary and kings (especially as their guidance has been upto 735 😬😬😬). I received 11A*s and 2 As for GCSE, 5As in AS and am predicted 3A* and A for A2 plus I do EPQ.
How do my chances hold for the London universities?
(edited 7 years ago)
my friend got into ARU medicine school and got band 2.
Hi, which unis have low GCSE requirements as I got 4A*, 5As and 3Bs (unfortunately a B in eng lit + lang). I didn't get overly high in UKCAT either (660 av). I feel as tho I won't be abe to get into any unis with these as although they have low gcse and ukcat requirements they often only take the best for interviews and offers. Any advice would really be appreciated

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending