The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Omg. Anon I feel like I'm reading about myself :/ except what happens to you kind of happened ages aho for me.

Well, I am not gonna try to tell you everything is gonna be fine because that would be a lie. And I'm sorry I'm not a liar, you're probably gonna cry a lot more and have the most horrible nightmares you ever had.

But all of this will come to an end, and it will be so freacking worth it. That is a promise. And I never EVER break a promise.

I wrote that ages ago about my own result day. I found it for you, so you can read and see how much similar my feelings were. Except it has a happy ending. I wish you a happy ending. I really do :penguinhug:

I was in my bed waiting for the result (they came online) and they were supposed to come at 9 am but I refreshed the page every single minute until 11 am. It finally CAME.

At first. I was like "haha ! That's a mistake"
Refreshing. Refreshing.
529th ? No way.
Refreshing. Refreshing. Refreshing.I swear I did it at least 10 times.

And then ? I laughed. Really ! I laughed.
I'll never understand why I laughed, maybe because I really thought I could be a part of the 331 ? Maybe because I was still not believing it ? Dunno, I just laughed.

Then. I remember it was sunny outside, and I remember it because I always imagined that if I don't get it, it would be kinda a rainy day or something, it was not, it was actually a wonderful day.

I realized that the Earth did not stop just for me, and that's why I cried, because I expected the world to wait for me -to wait what ?
You tell me, I was just shocked-I cried hard, my sister was there, she almost cried too, my dad heard me from the other room, and he came and told me he was proud and I was still the number one for him.
That was so cute you know, but it did not change anything I was still crying. I cried night and day for 3 days, I barely ate.
And.
I decided to get off bed, to go abroad. That was my dream right ? I searched informations about med studies abroad, and found this guy's blog, a 26 year old guy who went trough the same thing as me.
He was currently studying at Semmelweis Uni in Budapest, I called him and we talked 1h and a half.First time I stopped crying. Because there was hope again.

I called this day : THE START

PS : if you want to PM, I'll be there. And if you don't want to, I'll still be there, wishing for your happy ending to come soon <3
(edited 7 years ago)
Reply 21
Original post by Mr Moon Man
Lol you're ****ed

Yeah, oh my, that's so incredibly funny.- Thanks.

Original post by manlyksev
if its any consolation im sure you must have had a pretty calm two years.

What exactly makes you sure of that. It might be a surprise to you but hard work unfortunately doesn't always pay off + bad grades don't necessarily mean that it's all been smooth-sailing.

do you prefer haze or ami?

I don't know what those terms mean.

~

Ty guys, I've read through everyone's posts + it's all been helpful. I appreciate the support.
Reply 22
Original post by Anon_98
Right, so I'm going to apologise for how long this will be in advance but I need advice so I think it's vital I go into detail. I'm also just going to put my pride aside + include my grades in this post bc I don't care enough anymore to be embarassed by them but I'd really appreciate it if the responses are somewhat considerate.

Okay so, obviously yesterday was A level results day + I'm not an A* student by any means, but I honestly, honestly expected to do a whole lot better than I did.

My AS subjects were Bio, Chem, Maths + Physics.

My A2 subjects were Bio Chem + Maths.

I literally still cannot believe the marks that I got from some units, I genuinely think there's been a mistake or something bc I came out of a few exams 100% knowing I had at least got an A from mark schemes, common sense etc + yet on my sheet it states otherwise but perhaps I'm simply not as good at exams as I thought. Well, exceedingly terrible.

Last year I completed my AS levels + came out with CDEU.

At the time, I thought I tried for them but tbh, I think I just thought they'd be like GCSEs + looking back, I most probably deserved those grades from the level of work I put in. They still came as an absolute shock to me though bc throughout the first year, I was getting A grades in all class tests. Every single one. I don't think I received below an A grade in any mocks etc. (Bar physics, ofc. )

So this year, I dropped physics + retook all my AS exams from last year as well as my A2 exams and slightly improved the AS grades of CDE to BCE in Chemistry, Maths + Biology, respectively. To say I am dissapointed would be a severe understatement but.. whatever.

My A2 grades however, were DEU.

In every single Biology exam from AS + A2, I got a U.

I got a fricking U in my resits.

Who the hell gets a U grade in a resit.

But it's done.

I also got an E or U in every A2 exam.

I don't enjoy Biology, truanted almost every lesson, found it really difficult + yeah, idk maybe that explains it.

I don't enjoy maths, didn't attempt a few of my final maths exams despite studying for them bc I was really fed up so maybe that explains that grade.

I don't know anymore.

I'm really confused with Chemistry tho. It's the only A level out of the 3, that I'm semi-okay at + I don't know wtf happened. I literally don't know. I was so dreadfully upset, rightfully angry + confused + wtf nah.

So instead of going into sixth form like I should have, I cried for hours, started developing a self-loathing attitude then went to bed for some much needed sleep + celebrated my *****y results afterwards.

Despite my beyond horrific results, I surprisingly had a pretty great day.

But I've calmed down now + over it all so I have decided to evaluate:

I don't know whether A levels are not for me.

I don't know whether the sciences + maths aren't for me.

I don't know whether it's bc it's just been a difficult year.

I don't know whether I took up way too many exams + did more than I could manage.

I don't know.

I would like to study Chemistry at University so apprenticeships + the like aren't for me.

I know that not everyone needs to go to uni but I personally would v much like to go bc I feel like it's a life experience that I wouldn't want to miss out on + I certainly still do believe that I'm capable of achieving something that I'd be proud of whether that be during higher education or after several attempts at A level.

I can't speak to any one professional from school bc I didn't go in yesterday so I'm resorting to asking advice from TSR.

Yes, I regret not going in but I can't do anything about it now.

I realise TSR isn't the best place either bc anyone who fails is deemed as relatively unworthy.

The funny thing was people were trying to comfort me by giving tons of examples of all these business men who got straight U's + are now earning £34897584839, but I don't want to be a business person, I only want to study some compounds that I can't pronounce the names of so it's not exactly accurate or reassuring.

Anyway, I did try really hard during the year, I looked back on stuff + it seems that I started revising in February.

But I don't know whether I burnt out when it got to June.

Or let myself go in the exam hall.

I feel so helpless hence why I'm here.

Tbh, after yesterday.. I am genuinely past caring + I don't actually care anymore about it.

About anything.

Nor do I wish to discuss this matter bc I'd more than happily go with the flow + live each day as it comes then laugh at the outcome.

But I know that in reality, I have to sort this out in order to continue breathing, I just don't know how.

So my first plan is that I retake all my A2 exams this year.

The problem with that tho is that I don't know if I like science anymore, I don't know if I'd be able to cope with doing the same work all over again. I'd be applying as a private candidate so I don't know if I'd have the motivation. What if I get bored + give up? Regardless of those doubts, it feels like the easier option since I have all the material.

My second "idea" is that I take up a whole new set of A levels. - English Lit, Photography + Art + Design.

The problem with that is I don't know what I'd end up doing at University, I'd have to move sixth form + do another 2 years at school + I don't know if my body is up for that. The good part is that I'd probably feel motivated to complete them bc it'd be something new + something I'm interested in.

The third option is that I go abroad + run away from my problems.

No, really.

Go to Africa for a week this August, then if I like it enough defer + stay there for a few months, volunteer + most likely get stressed out again once I return to England. This is infact what my parent would like me to do on the basis that I need "time off" + it'd benefit me. I don't know how that'd help in an academic light but there we go.

If anyone has any advice on what to do then please do share, I'm pretty desperate.

+ well, for anyone else who is sort of in the same position.. remember that you can't have a pretty rainbow without lots of rain. :'3

Get a job to clear your head first and think about your options which in terms of further education has to be a foundation/access course.
Good luck
Reply 23
If I were you I'd retake your A-levels
Hi have you thought of doing a foundation year course. A levels aren't for everyone but the teaching style and the exams are different at uni so maybe you'd have better luck going via this route
Hey Anon x
I've read all the responses given and I agree with 99% of them, expect the unnecessarily rude comment (Not funny. That's actually extremely annoying because this isn't the time :colonhash:).
Overall though, so much sound and awesome advice was given. Not to sound patronising but you really are young and you do have so many years ahead of you. I don't think what I've just said would fully sink in until you later look back at this, after overcoming this situation because you will, realising that your life isn't determined by exam results. You can still go to uni, you can still study the course you enjoy. It may take longer but every experience you're gaining is making and shaping you into a better, strong willed individual. I know how it feels, it sucks. I failed first year, now I'm entering A2 and I'm not even sure about going to uni anymore. I'm realising life is bigger than exams and A levels. I've read some of your threads and you have a phenomenal character also so don't let this define you, I'm being serious.
The truth is, you're definitely not the only one in this position.
This happened to many students at my old sixth form college where half of AS had to re-sit the year after failing (I included) with the same happening to our A2 students at the time. My friends who were repeat students had to re-sit a third time. Luckily things went well for them this results day as some received A grades at AS while the ones who did one year courses are now off to uni.
When this initially happened, a lot of them ended up attending a new college, resitting modules, doing accelerated courses or left to work and even stayed to do BTEC courses. My best friend who failed her A levels went onto BTEC level 3 but dropped out before the end of the term not finishing. Instead she entered with a centre to do her foundation year after excelling in their entry exam. You have enough qualifications to do a foundation year so this is another option. She'll soon start her foundation year in biomedical engineering this September then from there if things go well, she's hoping to study Engineering at Warwick.

Some colleges do intensive one year A level courses which one of the students at my old sixth form college did. Because he had good GCSEs and met the requirements for the intensive courses, they allowed him to do Maths, Physics and Chemistry in one year with the college. Now he's off to Queen Mary. If he was a private candidate, he would have had to pay to sit the exams at an exam centre plus invest in a tutor so this is a cheaper option as you wouldn't have to pay for an exam centre or tutor, compared to the one year A levels route. You'll have support from teachers five times a week also. It's just, it will depend on your GCSE grades. The only downside is, not all colleges do this. The college he attended, if I remember was in central London so for me personally, I'd would have had to travel 1hr and 30 mins each morning which I couldn't handle unlike him who was 20 minutes away. Then if your 19 in September, you'll have to start paying for school fees. It's not overly expensive though.

I'd like to end on this note, as I think this is the most important after all I've written. I truly do feel that there is a common misconception and false reality given/set against young people. I used to think everyone went to university, that everyone had GCSEs and A levels because this was the way I was raised, plus early on set, even from Primary school this notion of life being in straight stages, stage 1, stage 2, stage 3 was embedded in mine and other students mind. We're so used to moving and was raised moving from year 7, year 8, year 9, all the way to up, even from primary school etc etc with such ease that we forget life isn't this way at all. I remember feeling so proud to enter year 10, then year 11 came I thought I was successful and beginning to know life but the truth is, I didn't until I failed year 12. This is the reality, we have ups and downs. In real life, it's hardly ever as the schooling system. It seems that we're expected to know what we want by so and so time/date or if not it's too late. Now thinking about it, we're thrown to make huge life decisions about our careers at such a young age without any proper experience. However...a big HOWEVER- It's never too late and since when was life meant to be experienced in a straight, direct path?! I'm not trying to sound overly religious and you may not believe in God but as someone who does to where my life has gotten for the better, though I've experienced hell these past three years, God, the universe, this being I felt has helped put me back on track to find my true calling. I feel that everyone has a calling. When we've worked so hard yet things go wrong,see it as the universe redirecting you to your true calling and nature. My dear friend Anon98, this is only the beginning.
(edited 7 years ago)
My situation last year- missed all my offers for uni and came out with CCD (Chem RE and Bio).
The options I had:
1. Do the foundation year for Optometry then try to get transfer
2. Take a gap year and resit the modules I had to

Confused as I was i made an appointment with one of the lecturers for my course I wanted to go into. He told me that for my course it would be better to take a gap year re-sit modules along with doing work in the field I wanted to go into. So i did that. NGL seeing all my friends going to uni made me feel very low about what situation I was in...

Fast track a year from then: I have got ABB (chem Bio and RE) and even though to some people theyre amazing to some not so much I truly appreciate these grades and the hard work I put in.
I also worked at an optician whilst studying and have gained some useful experience with money too😏
This gap year has helped me so much and honestly you should consider it.

I never let my failures make me change my mind in what I wanted to do.
I managed to keep my failure as my motivation and I kept telling myself this is my chance I need to make the most of it.
If I can do it- then surely anyone can.
Original post by claireestelle
you remind me of myself three years ago, I got BEE (in business, chemistry and biology), and I had U's in almost all my resits. And that really hurt after an awful year personally and after i put my all into it. Fortunately i got a place through clearing, as I was certain that i still wanted to do nursing so did a course that let me progess onto that (turns out that's not what i really wanted but thats a different story).
However, as you say you're not sure if you like science anymore, I wouldnt jump into the resit your A2 plan unless you were certain that's what you wanted. I would agree that giving yourself a break from education for a year could be really good for you.
If like me you were doing a crazy amount of resits then it could make perfect sense that you got burnout so if you did want to try resits then it could help that you were doing less.

How did u cope I failed business completely but I still got into uni. I feel horrible because worked extremely hard I feel like my business grade isn't even my grade. I'm just scared about getting jobs in the future with rubbish grades
Original post by haj101
My situation last year- missed all my offers for uni and came out with CCD (Chem RE and Bio).
The options I had:
1. Do the foundation year for Optometry then try to get transfer
2. Take a gap year and resit the modules I had to

Confused as I was i made an appointment with one of the lecturers for my course I wanted to go into. He told me that for my course it would be better to take a gap year re-sit modules along with doing work in the field I wanted to go into. So i did that. NGL seeing all my friends going to uni made me feel very low about what situation I was in...

Fast track a year from then: I have got ABB (chem Bio and RE) and even though to some people theyre amazing to some not so much I truly appreciate these grades and the hard work I put in.
I also worked at an optician whilst studying and have gained some useful experience with money too😏
This gap year has helped me so much and honestly you should consider it.

I never let my failures make me change my mind in what I wanted to do.
I managed to keep my failure as my motivation and I kept telling myself this is my chance I need to make the most of it.
If I can do it- then surely anyone can.

During gap year did you study on your own? Or you hired a private tutor? (Just out of curiosity, cause those are good grades )
Reply 29
Have you thought about doing a HNC/HND in Chemistry and then pursuing a degree?
Original post by lizzcelby
How did u cope I failed business completely but I still got into uni. I feel horrible because worked extremely hard I feel like my business grade isn't even my grade. I'm just scared about getting jobs in the future with rubbish grades

Well I stopped feeling bad about it in the end as I d made myself do three exams when one of my grandparents had ended up needing resuscitating the night before so eventually I just felt pleased that I had preserved through that difficult year. It's not done me any harm jobs wise yet so don't worry too much :smile:
Dont worry bro. By the way thank you for the gcse revision thread!
Out of curiosity, how did you revise for those subjects
Original post by Anon_98

How are you doing Anon x? How's your day been? I hope you're feeling and doing much better. I was quite worried after not seeing a response from you, thinking did she isolate herself from everyone. I did that. I had a breakdown but then later realised isolating myself made me feel way worse. My advice would be to stay away from negative people but at the same time, stay close to understanding, good friends who you trust.

I'm aware that you don't know me or some of the users here in real life but just know we're here if you'd like to talk. One thing I've learned about TSR is though people may believe users on here are super high achievers, super smart intellects that are tediously prestigious whether or not some of that is true, underneath that are lovely people who in my opinion are very understanding. Yes, there are the occasional random insensitive people but overall I must say, this really is a community so please don't feel as if you don't belong or that you can't express yourself. When you had mentioned that you're not of the smart type my heart sunk because you are smart. Smart people can fail exams. Things happen, things can turn left but it's ok. Again, I'm not saying this just to make you feel better but I've read some of your threads and the insight you have. You really will be ok and we're here if you need any support x
Original post by Pudge666
During gap year did you study on your own? Or you hired a private tutor? (Just out of curiosity, cause those are good grades )

Self-study I had all my notes and everything but I changed how I revised and tried my best to make sure it was quality and not quantity revision :smile:
Thank you! 😊
Reply 35
Original post by Cherry82
How are you doing Anon x? How's your day been? I hope you're feeling and doing much better. I was quite worried after not seeing a response from you, thinking did she isolate herself from everyone. I did that. I had a breakdown but then later realised isolating myself made me feel way worse. My advice would be to stay away from negative people but at the same time, stay close to understanding, good friends who you trust.

I'm aware that you don't know me or some of the users here in real life but just know we're here if you'd like to talk. One thing I've learned about TSR is though people may believe users on here are super high achievers, super smart intellects that are tediously prestigious whether or not some of that is true, underneath that are lovely people who in my opinion are very understanding. Yes, there are the occasional random insensitive people but overall I must say, this really is a community so please don't feel as if you don't belong or that you can't express yourself. When you had mentioned that you're not of the smart type my heart sunk because you are smart. Smart people can fail exams. Things happen, things can turn left but it's ok. Again, I'm not saying this just to make you feel better but I've read some of your threads and the insight you have. You really will be ok and we're here if you need any support x

Oh.. why do you have to be so sweet.

Sorry, it was solely due to the fact I didn't have the energy to respond to each individual post, but I was v much grateful for what each + every one of you wrote for me + took it all on board, yes.

+ I am doing fine, thank you, I hope you are too.
Original post by Anon_98
Right, so I'm going to apologise for how long this will be in advance but I need advice so I think it's vital I go into detail. I'm also just going to put my pride aside + include my grades in this post bc I don't care enough anymore to be embarassed by them but I'd really appreciate it if the responses are somewhat considerate.

Okay so, obviously yesterday was A level results day + I'm not an A* student by any means, but I honestly, honestly expected to do a whole lot better than I did.

My AS subjects were Bio, Chem, Maths + Physics.

My A2 subjects were Bio Chem + Maths.

I literally still cannot believe the marks that I got from some units, I genuinely think there's been a mistake or something bc I came out of a few exams 100% knowing I had at least got an A from mark schemes, common sense etc + yet on my sheet it states otherwise but perhaps I'm simply not as good at exams as I thought. Well, exceedingly terrible.

Last year I completed my AS levels + came out with CDEU.

At the time, I thought I tried for them but tbh, I think I just thought they'd be like GCSEs + looking back, I most probably deserved those grades from the level of work I put in. They still came as an absolute shock to me though bc throughout the first year, I was getting A grades in all class tests. Every single one. I don't think I received below an A grade in any mocks etc. (Bar physics, ofc. )

So this year, I dropped physics + retook all my AS exams from last year as well as my A2 exams and slightly improved the AS grades of CDE to BCE in Chemistry, Maths + Biology, respectively. To say I am dissapointed would be a severe understatement but.. whatever.

My A2 grades however, were DEU.

In every single Biology exam from AS + A2, I got a U.

I got a fricking U in my resits.

Who the hell gets a U grade in a resit.

But it's done.

I also got an E or U in every A2 exam.

I don't enjoy Biology, truanted almost every lesson, found it really difficult + yeah, idk maybe that explains it.

I don't enjoy maths, didn't attempt a few of my final maths exams despite studying for them bc I was really fed up so maybe that explains that grade.

I don't know anymore.

I'm really confused with Chemistry tho. It's the only A level out of the 3, that I'm semi-okay at + I don't know wtf happened. I literally don't know. I was so dreadfully upset, rightfully angry + confused + wtf nah.

So instead of going into sixth form like I should have, I cried for hours, started developing a self-loathing attitude then went to bed for some much needed sleep + celebrated my *****y results afterwards.

Despite my beyond horrific results, I surprisingly had a pretty great day.

But I've calmed down now + over it all so I have decided to evaluate:

I don't know whether A levels are not for me.

I don't know whether the sciences + maths aren't for me.

I don't know whether it's bc it's just been a difficult year.

I don't know whether I took up way too many exams + did more than I could manage.

I don't know.

I would like to study Chemistry at University so apprenticeships + the like aren't for me.

I know that not everyone needs to go to uni but I personally would v much like to go bc I feel like it's a life experience that I wouldn't want to miss out on + I certainly still do believe that I'm capable of achieving something that I'd be proud of whether that be during higher education or after several attempts at A level.

I can't speak to any one professional from school bc I didn't go in yesterday so I'm resorting to asking advice from TSR.

Yes, I regret not going in but I can't do anything about it now.

I realise TSR isn't the best place either bc anyone who fails is deemed as relatively unworthy.

The funny thing was people were trying to comfort me by giving tons of examples of all these business men who got straight U's + are now earning £34897584839, but I don't want to be a business person, I only want to study some compounds that I can't pronounce the names of so it's not exactly accurate or reassuring.

Anyway, I did try really hard during the year, I looked back on stuff + it seems that I started revising in February.

But I don't know whether I burnt out when it got to June.

Or let myself go in the exam hall.

I feel so helpless hence why I'm here.

Tbh, after yesterday.. I am genuinely past caring + I don't actually care anymore about it.

About anything.

Nor do I wish to discuss this matter bc I'd more than happily go with the flow + live each day as it comes then laugh at the outcome.

But I know that in reality, I have to sort this out in order to continue breathing, I just don't know how.

So my first plan is that I retake all my A2 exams this year.

The problem with that tho is that I don't know if I like science anymore, I don't know if I'd be able to cope with doing the same work all over again. I'd be applying as a private candidate so I don't know if I'd have the motivation. What if I get bored + give up? Regardless of those doubts, it feels like the easier option since I have all the material.

My second "idea" is that I take up a whole new set of A levels. - English Lit, Photography + Art + Design.

The problem with that is I don't know what I'd end up doing at University, I'd have to move sixth form + do another 2 years at school + I don't know if my body is up for that. The good part is that I'd probably feel motivated to complete them bc it'd be something new + something I'm interested in.

The third option is that I go abroad + run away from my problems.

No, really.

Go to Africa for a week this August, then if I like it enough defer + stay there for a few months, volunteer + most likely get stressed out again once I return to England. This is infact what my parent would like me to do on the basis that I need "time off" + it'd benefit me. I don't know how that'd help in an academic light but there we go.

If anyone has any advice on what to do then please do share, I'm pretty desperate.

+ well, for anyone else who is sort of in the same position.. remember that you can't have a pretty rainbow without lots of rain. :'3

Just curious, what exam boards did you do for each subject? Thanks.
Reply 37
Original post by Kira Yagami
Just curious, what exam boards did you do for each subject? Thanks.

AQA. (Bio, Chem.)

+

Edexcel. (Maths.)
Original post by Anon_98
AQA. (Bio, Chem.)

+

Edexcel. (Maths.)

I asked because I had a feeling you did AQA Biology... dw, they are mother ****kers! Hardest exam board for Biology easily.
Hope you're doing slightly better now, drop me a PM <3

Latest