The Student Room Group

Will I be rejected by universities?

These are my A level grades
A - Business Studies
A - English Language
B - Economics
C - Math
C - Physics
I want to do accountancy. I'm planning on applying to Nottingham, Surrey, Durham, Loughborough and Kent.
Will they reject me due to my subject choices since business studies and economics don't go well together, also english language isnt considered as such a strong subject.
You're fine.
Original post by purplemadness123
A - Business Studies
A - English Language
B - Economics
C - Math
C - Physics
I want to do accountancy. I'm planning on applying to Nottingham, Surrey, Durham, Loughborough and Kent.
Will they reject me due to my subject choices since business studies and economics don't go well together, also english language isnt considered as such a strong subject.

I dont understand, are these ur a levels or ur as levels. if they are ur as levels, then u need a very strong personal statement to offset that ur highest grades are in subjects that are not seen as highly reputable. If u believe that u can get an a in economics, drop both business studies and physics. Focus on maths and bring it up to a b but preferably an a. You need to get an a in economics to prove that u are not successful in business studies not just because it is easier.

if you get an a in econ, a or b in maths and maintain ur a in english ( though this is not that compulsory), you should be fine.

best of luck and pm me if u need any help
Original post by Equilibrius
I dont understand, are these ur a levels or ur as levels. if they are ur as levels, then u need a very strong personal statement to offset that ur highest grades are in subjects that are not seen as highly reputable. If u believe that u can get an a in economics, drop both business studies and physics. Focus on maths and bring it up to a b but preferably an a. You need to get an a in economics to prove that u are not successful in business studies not just because it is easier.

if you get an a in econ, a or b in maths and maintain ur a in english ( though this is not that compulsory), you should be fine.

They're sadly my A levels and i cant retake them, does this mean i have very little chance of getting into a good uni?
The only one you will be rejected by will be Durham with those grades.
Don't study Accounting at university. Do something like Business Management or Economics.

Anyone can become an accountant as long as you do the ACCA so a degree in it will barely help you
Original post by Anticipating
Don't study Accounting at university. Do something like Business Management or Economics.

Anyone can become an accountant as long as you do the ACCA so a degree in it will barely help you

The entry requirements for economics are usually much higher than they are for accounting, and they also require an A for math which i dont have. I feel like doing accounting will help me more as well.
Original post by Equilibrius

purple madness pm me id need to further understand ur situation and motivations to help properly. im feeling in a generous mood as my own results went quite well recently.
Original post by TercioOfParma
The only one you will be rejected by will be Durham with those grades.

Is that a fact? The course is still run at Stockton isn't it?
The entry requirements for economics are usually much higher than they are for accounting, and they also require an A for math which i dont have. I feel like doing accounting will help me more as well.

If you want to make it into a top Accounts firm, Nottingham and Durham are solid choices.
Original post by Magic Streets
Is that a fact? The course is still run at Stockton isn't it?

Durham has been very steep, I have had a lot of friends apply with similar grades to OP and not get in.
Original post by TercioOfParma
Durham has been very steep, I have had a lot of friends apply with similar grades to OP and not get in.

At Stockton? Why would AAA+ grade students go there?
Original post by Magic Streets
At Stockton? Why would AAA+ grade students go there?

Oh right Stockton, don't know why I missed that.
Each to their own I guess.
A - Business Studies
A - English Language
B - Economics
C - Math
C - Physics

Might be tough for Nottingham and Durham as accounting is a maths based subject, but your mathsy grades are your worst.

I'd recommend applying anyway but retake a few modules to bring your maths and economics marks up. :smile:

Posted from TSR Mobile

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending