The Student Room Group

What Medical Schools shall I definitely avoid?

My UKCAT is 2000 (667 average) with SJT Band 2
At GCSE I got 4A*s, 5As and 2 Bs
In my AS results I got As in Biology, Maths and Physics and a B in maths (78% UMS so only just missed an A)

I'm predicted A*AAA (A* in biology)

Any advice is greatly appreciated.

Edit: My AS results were As in Biology, Chemistry and Physics and a B in maths. Sorry, I somehow managed to put maths twice haha
(edited 7 years ago)
Hey I was under the impression that chemistry is required for medicine at AS/A2?
Original post by jacobcc7
In my AS results I got As in Biology, Maths and Physics and a B in maths (78% UMS so only just missed an A)

The great thing about having your AS results, GCSE results and your UKCAT is you can go through each school and see if it caters to your strengths.

Check out this link:http://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/wiki/Applying_to_Medical_School_using_your_Strengths

Use the med school website to confirm their admissions policy has not changed but there would not be drastic changes aside from a couple of universities adding the UKCAT or BMAT to their selection process.

The biggest issue I can see here is a lack of chemistry? That will rule out a lot of schools if this is the case. But, feel free to reply and we can discuss further.

Kind Regards,

Mel
WAMSoc Work Experience Lead

Without chemistry? Virtually all of them. There won't be many you can apply to - you need to check every website and see.

Edit; Looks like the lack of chemistry might just be a mistake - you need to be wary of GCSE heavy med schools and very UKCAT heavy med schools, but in that case your options are better.

Original post by YesMED
Nice. Pretty good grades across the board. Cambridge ask for A*A*A at A-level, so Oxford would be better (A*AA) if you are thinking Oxbridge.

With those GCSEs? Zero chance of Oxford.

Other than Cambridge, all you need is a good personal statement and a good performance on interview day and you should be golden.

With almost 2 in 3 applicants getting no offers at all, this is patently false. The only average UKCAT and lack of chemistry (if true) puts this candidate in all kinds of trouble, you really don't know what you're talking about.
(edited 7 years ago)
No chemistry? Might as well not apply...

Have a look at the foundation medical courses
I'd recommend to avoid Birmingham, Edinburgh, Oxford and Cardiff, just because of your GCSEs. For Cardiff, even though their website says they score you out of 28 or something based on what grades you got at GCSE, they also said the majority of applicants had a score of at least 27. Newcastle/Durham, Bristol, Plymouth and a lot of others would probably be good for you. :smile:

Good Luck! :biggrin:

Oxbridge, New Castle, Kings, Barts
Reply 7
Thanks for all the replies! Turns out I missed chemistry out by accident! I do take it and got an A in my AS exams, would there be any specific medical schools that I'd probably be more successful with if I were to apply there? Thanks
Original post by Pinkberry_y
Oxbridge, New Castle, Kings, Barts

Just wanting to say that he'd have a relative high UCAS tarrif hence Barts wouldn't be out of the question.I got an offer from Barts with a ukcat of 637.5

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending