The Student Room Group

What degree should I do?

Education

GCSES - 11 A* 1 A

A - Levels - 5 As in Maths, F maths, Physics, English Lit and Chemistry.

I enjoy Maths quite a lot, but am not a fan of the more abstract number theory stuff. I am a big fan of mechanics and also statistics, but do not enjoy practical work much. I only did English because I just find it very easy to blag in tbh.

My favourite subjects in class are Maths and Physics. I find economics interesting but have very little experience in it. Unsure of job prospects, just want to keep options open.

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
Original post by CaiusMartius
Education

GCSES - 11 A* 1 A

I enjoy Maths quite a lot, but am not a fan of the more abstract number theory stuff. I am a big fan of mechanics and also statistics, but do not enjoy practical work much. I only did English because I just find it very easy to blag in tbh.

My favourite subjects in class are Maths and Physics. I find economics interesting but have very little experience in it. Unsure of job prospects, just want to keep options open.

Go on to univeristy websites, and looking on their course list and noting down the ones that interests you.

The next step would be to read the modules each course offers, to see whether or not its something that will be of interest. Also, there are many helpful videos on youtube if you just type in the course's name 'university' after.
Reply 2
Mechanical Engineering? Its pretty much all physics. Very respectable degree.
Reply 3
Photography
Reply 4
Education

GCSES - 11 A* 1 A

Do Sociology and english. expand your brain. that is what going to university is supposed to be about isn't it?? interobang
Original post by john2054
Do Sociology and english. expand your brain. that is what going to university is supposed to be about isn't it?? interobang

Next joke please😂

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 6
Applied maths? Mathematical statistics? Some kind of engineering (with your a levels you can do any really)?
Up to you, research and decide for yourself. All we can do is throw suggestions.
Reply 7
Original post by TheyCallMePolish
Next joke please😂

Posted from TSR Mobile

I wasn't joking. If you think that it was an easy degree i just did, you are very very wrong i'm afraid. Oh yes but i forgot, the world doesn't need BAs and only stem degrees are worthwhile anyway. Am i right?
Natural Sciences; Chemical Engineering; Aerospace Engineering; Nuclear Engineering; Civil Engineering; Mechanical Engineering; Economics; Chemical Physics; Mathematics; Computer Science.
Original post by john2054
I wasn't joking. If you think that it was an easy degree i just did, you are very very wrong i'm afraid. Oh yes but i forgot, the world doesn't need BAs and only stem degrees are worthwhile anyway. Am i right?

You said it not me 😂 - why expand your mind with rubbish like sociology when the guy is clearly capable of putting his talents to use by doing something actually worthwhile and beneficial like engineering or physics? no brainer

Posted from TSR Mobile
You said it not me 😂 why expand your mind with rubbish like sociology when the guy is clearly capable of putting his talents to use by doing something actually worthwhile and beneficial like engineering or physics? no brainer

Posted from TSR Mobile

Agreed, also STEM degrees are much more employable and have much higher graduate salaries. The statistics speak for themselves.
You said it not me 😂 why expand your mind with rubbish like sociology when the guy is clearly capable of putting his talents to use by doing something actually worthwhile and beneficial like engineering or physics? no brainer

Posted from TSR Mobile

Sociology isn't rubbish. I find this offensive thanks.
Any kind of engineering or mathematical science course would put you in really good stead when it comes to employment, you clearly have the brains for it, with your grades, oxbridge is likely a viable option also!

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by DarkEnergy
Agreed, also STEM degrees are much more employable and have much higher graduate salaries. The statistics speak for themselves.

Exactly, they're the subjects which are in demand because they're needed for the most important jobs around the world, the world can't function without those with STEM degrees.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Doesn't compare to physics or engineering in the real world does it?

Posted from TSR Mobile

i also find this offensive. no one degree is better to any other.
(edited 7 years ago)
Shame it's the truth. I think you'll find they are mate, there's a reason why engineering, maths, medicine, dentistry are courses with prestige, whilst social sciences etc do not carry the same prestige because they are nowhere near as difficult or as useful of a course.

Posted from TSR Mobile

Please stop insulting my degree. I worked just as hard as i did for mine as you did for yours.
I find myself naturally gravitating towards Physics, but I have very irritating parents who claim I will become a homeless professor with a PhD if I study it (I have no intention of doing a PhD), and say the only way I can really ensure anything is studying Maths. I think they're being stupid, but I can't help but let their words have some sort of affect on me. just from the sheer frequency of their complaints, and also at the end of the day I do kinda want to make my parents happy :/
Education

GCSES - 11 A* 1 A

I think you should look more into Economics then. You can go into a Government-based economics career or something in the private sector. Apart from that I don't know a lot about Economics but I think it's a good starting point. :smile:

Also - nice grades!
Original post by cherryblossoming
I think you should look more into Economics then. You can go into a Government-based economics career or something in the private sector. Apart from that I don't know a lot about Economics but I think it's a good starting point. :smile:

Also - nice grades!

Aw thanks :smile:And that sort of think appeals to me a lot ! But I think I may be too late to explore that avenue, done literally no extended reading, and having not done economics A-level, I really worry my P.S would be utter **** haha
Exactly, they're the subjects which are in demand because they're needed for the most important jobs around the world, the world can't function without those with STEM degrees.

Posted from TSR Mobile

With a sociology degree, you can go into social research informing policy officials and the government on what types of policies and systems should be put in place to benefit members of this society. This is based on intensive, high-quality research undertaken by social researchers using a plethora of different qualitative and quantitative research methods.

Such policies include the school leaving age, ways in reforming offenders, free healthcare and welfare for example. Policies like these benefit us in society and without these society wouldn't be able to function.

Another policy brought in decades ago was free education. If that wasn't brought in, around 2/3 of the UK population wouldn't be educated. The amount of students opting for those STEM degrees would be way more than half compared to now. We'd have less doctors, engineers, dentists etc etc as well as less psychologists, lawyers and lecturers for example.

You can't say Sociology is useless and not important when you know nothing about the type of jobs that can lead on from it. Every degree is useful in some way.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending