The Student Room Group
St Salvators Quad, University of St Andrews
University of St Andrews

St Andrews University Freshers Megathread 2016

A big congratulations to those that are going to the university!

You can use this thread to say hello to fellow students and discuss how excited you are to begin your fantastic journey!

This thread is yours, take it away

Scroll to see replies

Got a place on the Computer Science course and a place in Melville Hall. Not much to do but wait till Sept 3rd.
St Salvators Quad, University of St Andrews
University of St Andrews
Reply 2
I reckon incoming postgrads might not count as freshers but I'm excited to start @ St Andrews in any case! I'll be doing MSc Human-Computer Interaction, moving in to David Russell Apartments on September 3rd.

Any one know if there are any Facebook groups for incoming students? In general, or more specific ones i.e. for postgrads, departments, halls, ect?
(edited 7 years ago)
Reply 3
I'm going to St And to study Psychology - really looking forward to moving there and meeting people! :smile: Not sure where I'll be living yet.
Reply 4
When did you all hear back about accommodation?
Reply 5
Original post by mcride98
When did you all hear back about accommodation?

Unconditional offers got their accomodation offers around the end of July - accommodation offers for students who were conditional should start trickling in soon I imagine.

I'm going to be studying English and Modern History, and living in DRA in the Scott building - anyone else taking the same course or living in the same building feel free to message me :biggrin:
Got a place for Computer Science. It's only 2 weeks until the 3rd, not very far away now.

Original post by JM_1998
Unconditional offers got their accomodation offers around the end of July - accommodation offers for students who were conditional should start trickling in soon I imagine.

I'm going to be studying English and Modern History, and living in DRA in the Scott building - anyone else taking the same course or living in the same building feel free to message me :biggrin:

I'll be in DRA too, but I don't know which building. Did you get an email recently giving more details?
Has anyone else had an invitation to the Bejant Reception in Glasgow? I have a friend coming to St. A too who's got an invite, but I still haven't heard anything
(edited 7 years ago)
Reply 8
Original post by Pemble
Got a place for Computer Science. It's only 2 weeks until the 3rd, not very far away now.

I'll be in DRA too, but I don't know which building. Did you get an email recently giving more details?

I think I was told the building in the original email, I know if you log onto iSaint and then click on the matriculation section, and then select the option about a bank letter or smthn then it shows you your full address for your accomodation. :biggrin:
Has anyone who has met a conditional offer been told about accommodation yet?
Original post by Obama's Llama
Has anyone who has met a conditional offer been told about accommodation yet?

I got my a level results on thursday and still haven't heard anything. some other applicants I've spoken to are still waiting on theirs too, apparently we'll hear back before the 26th?
Original post by laurajh97
I got my a level results on thursday and still haven't heard anything. some other applicants I've spoken to are still waiting on theirs too, apparently we'll hear back before the 26th?

Yeah same here. Ah okay that helps, thank you! :smile:
Reply 12
Original post by ZX32
I reckon incoming postgrads might not count as freshers but I'm excited to start @ St Andrews in any case! I'll be doing MSc Human-Computer Interaction, moving in to David Russell Apartments on September 3rd.

Any one know if there are any Facebook groups for incoming students? In general, or more specific ones i.e. for postgrads, departments, halls, ect?

Hey! Im doing the exact same as you (HCI and David Russell Apartments on the 3rd!)
Reply 13
I'm on the Computer Science course too - surprising number of us here considering the number of people on the course is relatively small! St A was my insurance choice so I didn't expect for my summer hols to be ending so soon - I think most other unis start later in September right? Now I'm just waiting on an accommodation offer and slowly preparing for uni life. I'm not looking forward to the long drive up.
Reply 14
Original post by Xabier
I'm on the Computer Science course too - surprising number of us here considering the number of people on the course is relatively small! St A was my insurance choice so I didn't expect for my summer hols to be ending so soon - I think most other unis start later in September right? Now I'm just waiting on an accommodation offer and slowly preparing for uni life. I'm not looking forward to the long drive up.

Most other unis go the third week of September, I think. Where is it you're driving from? I think it's going to take me 6.5 hours (not including (the likely many) coffee stops).
Reply 15
Original post by sky1998
Most other unis go the third week of September, I think. Where is it you're driving from? I think it's going to take me 6.5 hours (not including (the likely many) coffee stops).

From Cornwall so I think the drive is gonna be 8+ hours :'( I wanted to take a flight up there but my parents want to come along and take me up there by car - luckily they're fast drivers and, to my surprise, the drive time isn't much worse than the flight time . And it does mean I can bring more stuff with me.
Has anybody else got their entrant email yet? Got an email about modules on iSaint, but I haven't got the email to sign up for iSaint itself yet. I'm kind of worried seeing as online matriculation is in 3 days and you're supposed to have an account by then.

EDIT: Emailed registry-ug, they resent the email. All good.
(edited 7 years ago)
Reply 17
Original post by Xabier
From Cornwall so I think the drive is gonna be 8+ hours :'( I wanted to take a flight up there but my parents want to come along and take me up there by car - luckily they're fast drivers and, to my surprise, the drive time isn't much worse than the flight time . And it does mean I can bring more stuff with me.

Oh, that's a long time. I feel sorry for the driver tbh, I wouldn't have been so keen to offer I don't think! I guess you'll just need to take plenty of stops to stretch your legs and recharge a bit. Best of luck! :smile:
Reply 18
Original post by sky1998
Oh, that's a long time. I feel sorry for the driver tbh, I wouldn't have been so keen to offer I don't think! I guess you'll just need to take plenty of stops to stretch your legs and recharge a bit. Best of luck! :smile:

The driver is gonna swap between my parents often so it should be alright. :smile: You too.
I'm moving in to David Russell Apartments too! :smile: Which blocks are everyone in? And is anyone else doing biochemistry? (Or any other biology course?)

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending