The Student Room Group

You've probably not failed.

Scroll to see replies

Original post by 130398
Check again, A*A*A*AC are his grades. So with the 3 A* he already has enough.

I say we go by "Until proven guilty, the person is innocent". When concrete proof is provided then the matter will be settled. I believe him, I believe things easily but this seems pretty real too.

Oh apologies for the a level grades part then. I misread it. But I stand by the fact that:

- his GCSE grades would be basically be automatic rejection.
- he forgot about an entry exam. It's a very significant thing to leave out considering how difficult they are and the preparation needed so it leads me to think he didn't even apply
- a random screenshot that could be from twitter for all I know isn't evidence.

He's already provided evidence against them when he gave his GCSE grades. They don't give offers to people with a C in maths and god knows what in English and the rest of his subjects (although he hinted that they were U's).

Like I said, if he had said he retook GCSE's too then it'd be much more believable.
(edited 7 years ago)
Original post by Princepieman
I see most of the naysayers didn't even bother reading the thread properly, standard.

Posted from TSR Mobile

Ironic. if you read the thread properly you'd see he's clearly lying. I genuinely started laughing when I read through this and saw someone defend a screenshot as "concrete evidence"
Original post by lucabrasi98
Ironic. if you read the thread properly you'd see he's clearly lying. I genuinely started laughing when I read through this and saw someone defend a screenshot as "concrete evidence"

Nah, don't see the lying. I actually know people who had a similar experience to OP's so don't know why I would think he's lying.

Posted from TSR Mobile
I got A* maths, A further maths, E additional further math. Should I go to any university or resit?
Nah, don't see the lying. I actually know people who had a similar experience to OP's so don't know why I would think he's lying.

Posted from TSR Mobile

"My GCSE's were terrible, mostly U's, E's, (I got a C in maths, though, woooo!) "

Now, straight from cambridge's website:

"Applicants have generally achieved high grades in subjects relevant to their chosen course, and most students who apply have at least four or five As or A*s at GCSE." But that's been talked about enough so I won't continue.

Onto his A levels. If he's telling the truth about them, there's no doubt that they're amazing grades that should give him a strong application for any course in the country. But he has resat multiple times. 2 sets of resits is damaging enough to an application for oxbridge. Or even any other RG Uni. When I went to UCL they mentioned being unfavorable to people who have stayed back for a year to resit their subjects once. They were fine with redoing a few units in a retake/gap year. But essentially starting over? They'd rather not. He has done it 4 times. Keeping that in mind:

"At Cambridge, students are regularly assessed by examination and there's no opportunity to resit any exams (with the exception of professional qualifying examinations in Medicine and Veterinary Medicine). Therefore, we would be concerned about an applicant who is retaking large numbers of exams, unless this number of retakes was justified by circumstances beyond the applicant’s control and explained in their UCAS reference and/or Extenuating Circumstances Form."

It all points to him not getting an offer and therefore lying. He himself has claimed he was just lazy so that rules out extenuating circumstances 4 years in a row.
(edited 7 years ago)
Reply 45
Original post by Religion
I got A* maths, A further maths, E additional further math. Should I go to any university or resit?

It's best to have something except maths. Try doing Physics a level in one year and resit some further maths modules for an A*. End up with A*A* and whatever you get in Physics, better than E preferably :smile:. Maybe even have a go at STEP and go for Imperial or something even higher.
"My GCSE's were terrible, mostly U's, E's, (I got a C in maths, though, woooo!) "

Now, straight from cambridge's website:

"Applicants have generally achieved high grades in subjects relevant to their chosen course, and most students who apply have at least four or five As or A*s at GCSE." But that's been talked about enough so I won't continue.

Onto his A levels. If he's telling the truth about them, there's no doubt that they're amazing grades that should give him a strong application for any course in the country. But he has resat multiple times. 2 sets of resits is damaging enough to an application for oxbridge. Or even any other RG Uni. When I went to UCL they mentioned being unfavorable to people who have stayed back for a year to resit their subjects once. They were fine with redoing a few units in a retake/gap year. But essentially starting over? They'd rather not. He has done it 4 times. Keeping that in mind:

"At Cambridge, students are regularly assessed by examination and there's no opportunity to resit any exams (with the exception of professional qualifying examinations in Medicine and Veterinary Medicine). Therefore, we would be concerned about an applicant who is retaking large numbers of exams, unless this number of retakes was justified by circumstances beyond the applicant’s control and explained in their UCAS reference and/or Extenuating Circumstances Form."

It all points to him not getting an offer and therefore lying. He himself has claimed he was just lazy so that rules out extenuating circumstances 4 years in a row.

Again, I know people in OP's situation who have gotten in. No amount of links or fun dissection of websites will change that.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by 130398
It's best to have something except maths. Try doing Physics a level in one year and resit some further maths modules for an A*. End up with A*A* and whatever you get in Physics, better than E preferably :smile:. Maybe even have a go at STEP and go for Imperial or something even higher.

I was kind of hoping for someone to tell me that I can become a good mathematician without going to one of the best universities. My family wouldn't really allow me to resit.
Original post by WhisperingTide
Lemme tell y'all a story. A story of the little nerd who could. For most of my educational carrier I was a total potato, and not even a high quality potato, I'm talking a potato than even a starving Irishman would think twice about. My GCSE's were terrible, mostly U's, E's, (I got a C in maths, though, woooo!) and my first attempt at A-level was pretty much the same. I think maths was the only one I passed at AS-level, with an E. I quickly became what teachers might refer to as a 'tumble dryer student' I kept going around and around, without getting anywhere, always thinking "Meh, I'll do better next time." After my 3rd attempt at AS, at my 6th form, (And 3rd fail, woo. Go me.) I started getting really depressed. Like "Mate, pass me that fat shot of bleach and I'll have a Windex chaser" kind of depressed. Eventually I managed to punch myself right in the reality (boy, did that hurt) and realise that I actually had to turn myself around.
So, then I went to college, my 4th attempt at A-levels. And here's the thing: I'm not naturally smart and just lazy, I'm pretty average and (was) lazy, so, I worked my ass off (And trust me, after a year of ice-cream fuelled depression, that's a big ass to work off.) I knew this was my last chance to make something of myself.

Here I am now, at 21, with a lot of work and some good guidance from my college staff, I'm going off to study Natural Sciences at Cambridge (I don't even have any decent work experience. Whoever said you needed excellent GCES's, no resits and tones of experience to get in was lying through their teeth.) I'm not here to gloat, I'm here to try to convince you guys, particularly you guys who perhaps haven't got the results you may have wanted, who might feel a bit down, who don't know what to do now - It's not the end of the line. To quote George Eliot: "It's never too late to be what you might have been." You can pick yourself up, you can make something of yourself. You, too, can be the little nerd who could.

Well done. I actually messed up my AS levels but with a ton of resits I achieved AAA. So it is possible but you have to put the work in.
Again, I know people in OP's situation who have gotten in. No amount of links or fun dissection of websites will change that.

Posted from TSR Mobile

Pretty sure actual facts, quotes from their own website and quotes from what OP has said himself is better evidence than apparent anecdotal evidence from a you on TSR. If you don't have anything valid to say then don't reply. If you want to continue believing Cambridge are wrong and you're right then do so in private.

Spoiler

(edited 7 years ago)
Pretty sure actual facts, quotes from their own website and quotes from what OP has said himself is better evidence than apparent anecdotal evidence from a you on TSR. If you don't have anything valid to say then don't reply. If you want to continue believing Cambridge are wrong and you're right then do so in private.

Spoiler

Ok bro, I'm not providing any anecdotal data. All I'm saying is, there are people I know who have retaken more than once, but have both received offers from Cambridge (and Oxford) and gone on to meet them. If you can't deal with that reality, then I don't know what to tell you.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by WhisperingTide
Lemme tell y'all a story. A story of the little nerd who could. For most of my educational carrier I was a total potato, and not even a high quality potato, I'm talking a potato than even a starving Irishman would think twice about. My GCSE's were terrible, mostly U's, E's, (I got a C in maths, though, woooo!) and my first attempt at A-level was pretty much the same. I think maths was the only one I passed at AS-level, with an E. I quickly became what teachers might refer to as a 'tumble dryer student' I kept going around and around, without getting anywhere, always thinking "Meh, I'll do better next time." After my 3rd attempt at AS, at my 6th form, (And 3rd fail, woo. Go me.) I started getting really depressed. Like "Mate, pass me that fat shot of bleach and I'll have a Windex chaser" kind of depressed. Eventually I managed to punch myself right in the reality (boy, did that hurt) and realise that I actually had to turn myself around.
So, then I went to college, my 4th attempt at A-levels. And here's the thing: I'm not naturally smart and just lazy, I'm pretty average and (was) lazy, so, I worked my ass off (And trust me, after a year of ice-cream fuelled depression, that's a big ass to work off.) I knew this was my last chance to make something of myself.

Here I am now, at 21, with a lot of work and some good guidance from my college staff, I'm going off to study Natural Sciences at Cambridge (I don't even have any decent work experience. Whoever said you needed excellent GCES's, no resits and tones of experience to get in was lying through their teeth.) I'm not here to gloat, I'm here to try to convince you guys, particularly you guys who perhaps haven't got the results you may have wanted, who might feel a bit down, who don't know what to do now - It's not the end of the line. To quote George Eliot: "It's never too late to be what you might have been." You can pick yourself up, you can make something of yourself. You, too, can be the little nerd who could.

Thank you so much for posting that. That was truly inspiring. Admittedly, I didn't revise for my GCSE modulars in Year 10, but this has motivated me to push myself and work as hard as I possibly can in Year 11. Thanks for sharing your story!

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by Hey It's Cerian
Thank you so much for posting that. That was truly inspiring. Admittedly, I didn't revise for my GCSE modulars in Year 10, but this has motivated me to push myself and work as hard as I possibly can in Year 11. Thanks for sharing your story!

Also, congratulations on getting into Cambridge and for achieving so highly! Sorry, I forgot to mention that.
Maybe OP just had a really well written personal statement with mature student printed at the top like mine?

I'm in a similar boat (although not as prestigious as Cambridge), been accepted into a C Math, C English GCSE, B B B A-level course.

My GCSE's were B in Math, D in English, D in English Literature, D in Double Science, E's in everything else and have never taken my A-levels, instead I'm turning 31 years old and just finished my first year with The Open University using this as replacement of A-levels.

The grades are generally for people under the age of 20,

Edit: I'd also like to add that if I had taken the optional more advanced math module last year, the University of Sheffield said they would of taken me (AAA GCSE, AAB A-levels req) when I rang them up during clearing, my first round of applications was for year 2 entry but what I learnt just wasn't transferable for a comp sci degree.
(edited 7 years ago)
Ok bro, I'm not providing any anecdotal data. All I'm saying is, there are people I know who have retaken more than once, but have both received offers from Cambridge (and Oxford) and gone on to meet them. If you can't deal with that reality, then I don't know what to tell you.

Posted from TSR Mobile

He got an unconditional offer - they only give tgose to exceptional students or people who've already completed their A levels
Original post by SugarCoatedCart
He got an unconditional offer - they only give tgose to exceptional students or people who've already completed their A levels

*facepalm* What do you think happens to your UCAS when you meet your offer?

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by stereoashhh
Oh apologies for the a level grades part then. I misread it. But I stand by the fact that:

- his GCSE grades would be basically be automatic rejection.
- he forgot about an entry exam. It's a very significant thing to leave out considering how difficult they are and the preparation needed so it leads me to think he didn't even apply
- a random screenshot that could be from twitter for all I know isn't evidence.

He's already provided evidence against them when he gave his GCSE grades. They don't give offers to people with a C in maths and god knows what in English and the rest of his subjects (although he hinted that they were U's).

Like I said, if he had said he retook GCSE's too then it'd be much more believable.

My friend didn't have a C in english language and still got an interview at cambridge (unfortunately he didn't get an offer)
Original post by SugarCoatedCart

*facepalm* What do you think happens to your UCAS when you meet your offer?

Posted from TSR Mobile

Ohhhh lmao
I needed this thanks.

Quick Reply

Latest