The Student Room Group

University of Cambridge Freshers Megathread 2016

Scroll to see replies

Original post by jneill
A 12" or maybe 13" laptop is much more compact but still very useable imho. You can always get a separate flat screen monitor to plug into when in your room (approx £50-£100)

Also Latitude is Dell's business brand and is very reliable and sturdy. Good idea for a student. Vostro is also one of their business brands but I'd say Latitude is more robust.

And regarding discounts, you will also qualify for free Microsoft Office. So don't buy it bundled in your laptop.

Oh and Apple Education discounts too, if you fancy a Macbook (not -£400 though...)

My daughter took her 15 inch laptop that she'd been using for a few years at home when she started Cambridgeand, and bought 13 inch one a year later when she needed to replace it. Her impression is that 13 inch is probably most popular size amongst students.
Original post by camaieu
Hello! I'm a bit of an old hand here in Cambridge. If you have any questions, fire them my way!*

(Can you tell I'm in rural Ireland and have nothing else to do? :tongue: ) *

Hi! I'm an EU fresher at Modern and Medieval Languages, Clare College, and I'm now thinking what to pack and what I still need.

What can you tell me about the computer-documents compatibility? I've heard about people having invested in a good Windows laptop and then realized that the documents sent by supervisors were unreadable because they were made on Apples; then they had to convert each and every file in order to be able to open them. Do I have to get a Macbook in order to be sure I can read everything without wasting time converting?

If I had to choose myself with no restriction, I would deffinitely go for a Windows laptop, so my questions are: what specs do you find as being of absolute necessity? and: Windows or Mac?

Replies from any of you who can tell me anything are welcome. Thanks a lot in advance!

Best regards,
TeodorNG
(edited 7 years ago)
Original post by nucleus123
I want to go to this event but there is no information on the link you posted.

Will it mainly be alumni or new students?

Ah sorry, it will be mainly freshers and there will be some current students there that freshers can talk to :smile: Here is a better link https://www.alumni.cam.ac.uk/events/welcome-to-cambridge-events
Original post by teodorng
Hi! I'm an EU fresher at Modern and Medieval Languages, Clare College, and I'm now thinking what to pack and what I still need.

What can you tell me about the computer-documents compatibility? I've heard about people having invested in a good Windows laptop and then realized that the documents sent by supervisors were unreadable because they were made on Apples; then they had to convert each and every file in order to be able to open them. Do I have to get a Macbook in order to be sure I can read everything without wasting time converting?

If I had to choose myself with no restriction, I would deffinitely go for a Windows laptop, so my questions are: what specs do you find as being of absolute necessity? and: Windows or Mac?

Replies from any of you who can tell me anything are welcome. Thanks a lot in advance!

Best regards,
TeodorNG

My daughter and most of her friends had a laptop with Windows. Never heard any of them had such a problem.
Original post by WhisperingTide
Yo guys.

NatSci (physical) fresher here, name's Vincent Proud Incase you wanna Facebook me, though I rarely update it, I just use messenger, so it my profile seems like it was construed by a 13 year old - that's because it was! :wink:

Guna be staying in Hughes Hall, both excited and nervous at the same time, but looking forward to meeting some of you. I got any Physics buddies in this thread? :P

Phys NatSci at Clare College here :smile:
Original post by vincrows
Boy's life is much easier than girl's because they don't have to have so many clothes and shoes .......:tongue:
And internationals are on the college's priority list for people who can use the college's beddings like duvet/pillow/sheets. Those are the bulkiest things home students have to take with them....and bring home, at every start/end of terms.......along with their bike.

You'll probably need to buy quite a lot of stuff when you arrived in Cambridge, unless you're planning to pack your plate, cups, cutlery and pots and pans in your 30 kg suitcase. :tongue:
Most of things are easily available in the shops in town centre, but If you want to know the places where you can buy things cheaper, let me know. :wink:

And as I said before somewhere in this forum, order some stuff online and have them delivered to your college.

Fair enough! I think I only have one pair of shoes (don't kill me!) and I still need to look for dress shoes. :lol:

Ah, that's nice. If the college doesn't provide the bedding stuff, I don't think I'd bring it with me, there's no way that'd fit, rather buy it over there. And yeah, I'm not envying the inevitable shopping spree I'll have to do when I get there, gah. :tongue:

Sweet, thanks!
Original post by SalGal
Ok, here's the truth.

I achieved my offer to begin study at Cambridge this October. However, I'm anorexic and have a bmi of 12. This will be picked up at the health check which my college gives all new students and I would be considered "unfit to study"What will happen? Will they kick me out? If so, would I be kicked out permanently and have to reapply next year?

I studied in Cambridge and can tell you for a fact that no one is going to subject you to any form of medical test without your consent and definitely not your college. And no, you cannot be kicked out of university for that reason.
(edited 7 years ago)
For someone who was asking about Christian Union, what you heard is very untrue and can be classified as an old wives tale.

Christian Union (CU) was the highlight of my time at Cam. I met the nicest, warmest and most genuine people in CU. Yes we took our faith seriously but we definitely had such a good time.

If you are looking for a church, Holy Trinity (HT), Eden and St Andrews the Great havea big number of undergraduate Christian students and plan lots of fun activities for them.
Original post by Zacken
Fair enough! I think I only have one pair of shoes (don't kill me!) and I still need to look for dress shoes. :lol:

Ah, that's nice. If the college doesn't provide the bedding stuff, I don't think I'd bring it with me, there's no way that'd fit, rather buy it over there. And yeah, I'm not envying the inevitable shopping spree I'll have to do when I get there, gah. :tongue:

Sweet, thanks!

There're many nice (and some of them with good price) shoe shops (and men's clothes shops that sell shoes as well) in Cambridge, so maybe it's easy to buy a pair there. :smile:
Help the UK retail sales. We need as much help as possible after brexit!!
Reply 129

Supervisors should be able to provide compatible files if you ask them. There is no reason they should expect students to have macs.

Most importantly, most documents are compatible between different computers, in particular pdf. If in doubt, ask for a pdf file.
There're many nice (and some of them with good price) shoe shops (and men's clothes shops that sell shoes as well) in Cambridge, so maybe it's easy to buy a pair there. :smile:
Help the UK retail sales. We need as much help as possible after brexit!!

Yeah, I reckon I'll have to do that itself. There's barely anything in Mauritius that catches my fancy and fits me. :tongue:

BTW, where do we get gowns from? Is that something people buy when they get there or do most people buy it before going up there?
Original post by Zacken
Yeah, I reckon I'll have to do that itself. There's barely anything in Mauritius that catches my fancy and fits me. :tongue:

BTW, where do we get gowns from? Is that something people buy when they get there or do most people buy it before going up there?

Many colleges (their JCR) host a gown sales during the fresher's week before matriculation. They often sell second-hand gowns at discount, too.
Or you can pop in Ryder & Armies across the road from king's if you want to, too.

All,the info like that will come in a welcome pack from your college you'll receive in a few weeks time. :wink:
Many colleges (their JCR) host a gown sales during the fresher's week before matriculation. They often sell second-hand gowns at discount, too.
Or you can pop in Ryder & Armies across the road from king's if you want to, too.

Ahhh, sounds like living at King's is going to be convenient. I think we have a GP right opposite as well. :wink:

All,the info like that will come in a welcome pack from your college you'll receive in a few weeks time. :wink:

Oh oops, yeah, I should be more patient! Thanks. :smile:
Original post by Zacken
Ahhh, sounds like living at King's is going to be convenient. I think we have a GP right opposite as well. :wink:

Oh oops, yeah, I should be more patient! Thanks. :smile:

No worries. It's always a good idea to be prepared as much as possible in advance, especially if you're coming from far away. :wink:
And twon't give you info on good eateries and shops, so you'll have to get it for me! :biggrin:
It still hasn't really sunk in I'll be a fresher come October...

Also what's the job market like in
cambridge? (Outside of term time)
(edited 7 years ago)
Original post by Joshthemathmo
It still hasn't really sunk in I'll be a fresher come October...

Also what's the job market like in
cambridge? (Outside of term time)

Many colleges 'employ' their student to phone around their alumni to ask for donation to the college and they usually do the fund raising campaign during holidays. It's usually only for a few days but I think you can stay in the college for free during the period (and possibly free meals, but these conditions may vary from college to college) .

Outside the uni, I'm not too sure as I don't personally know anyone who worked in Cambridge during holidays. Sorry.

Best regards,
TeodorNG

Hi! Re: tech things. For MML, I used a Windows laptop in 1st and 2nd year, and then I bought a Mac and used it during my 4th year. I certainly didn't encounter any issues with owning a Windows laptop, even if most people, including supervisors, used Macs. Lots of my mates had Windows computers as well - don't panic!

Re: specs. For MML, you're just going to be writing essays, and maybe taking notes during lectures (although pen and paper always served me well!). So nothing too fancy. Just make sure you've got a word processor and, as far as your academic needs are concerned, you're sorted! Anything else is personal preference and a bonus :smile:*
What's the cheapest way to buy paper pens etc ?

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by Duke Glacia

Posted from TSR Mobile

Probably Staples's branch on Chesterton Road is the cheapest place in Cambridge but it's not in the town centre.
http://www.staples.co.uk (Use store locator for the address)

There's a branch of Ryman (Sidney street) and W.H. Smith (market square) in town centre if you want shops in the centre, and they always have good bargain deals for new academic year.
(edited 7 years ago)
Original post by Duke Glacia

Posted from TSR Mobile

Amazon

Posted from TSR Mobile

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending