The Student Room Group

The Current Year 13 Thread 2016-2017

Scroll to see replies

Hey! Can't believe I am year 13 now!

I have visited 3 unis thus far - I am visiting Keele and Lancaster over the next few weeks with the hope of studying media and society. I have inputted my choices of Leicester, Stirling, UEA, Keele and Lancaster on to UCAS but I only have about 1/4 of my personal statement written.
Original post by Dnkz7
Aren't we technically in year 13, seeing as last year has already finished?

ANYWAY...

Have people visited the uni's they would like to go to yet?
How are your personal statements getting along?
What subjects are you currently studying and, what do you hope to study at uni (give the 5 uni's you want to go to)

1) Yeah, I've visited Cambridge Oxford LSE Warwick York Queen Mary and UCL
2) Just finishing off my first draft
3) Studied Maths, FM, Economics and History at AS and will be continuing all bar history onto A2. Looking to apply for Economics/E&M at Oxford, UCL, Warwick, Bath and possibly Surrey

Posted from TSR Mobile
Hello, I hope everyone's AS/A2 results went well.
I have a bit of a hard decision to make, so I was hoping you guys on here can help. I want to study economics at a Russell group Uni around the bath, Warwick level. Here are my AS grades:

AS Ocr Chemistry A: 119/140 (an A was 108)
AS AQA Physics :A (don't know my marks yet)
AS Edexcel Economics :got 69/80 in Micro (an A was 59), and haven't received my macro result back
AS ocr mei maths :A C1:B, C2:B S1: A (full ums)
I was very happy with my grades overall, but the problem is that my AS maths result is too low, (as I had a bad day, and the pressure got to me), so came out with only 85 UMS on avg, hence I wont be predicted an a* in a2 (which is a requirement of top
Russell group unis in economics). Is It worth applying for economics?
I am also currently doing my EPQ, but I don't know which subject I should drop and whether I should do AS Further maths or not.
Also, with my AS results, what could be prediction in A2 be.
Thanks in advance
Sorry, does anyone on here have an idea how long t will take to get a remark done seeing as I only got a borderline B in DT and want to study architecture in uni
Holy moly year 13 already?! Wow, time flies.

I've visited Cambridge, Sheffield and Edinburgh which are my favourites. I've also visited Manchester and SOAS which I didn't like so much, and Chester because school made me. I'm planning to visit Durham in September as well :smile:

Personal statement... hahahahh... haha...

I've written one paragraph about my A levels. Incidentally I'm planning to sit down and write a draft tomorrow. I wouldn't mind so much but I have to have it done by the early deadline (5th October) so I'm stressing a bit!

What subjects are you currently studying and, what do you hope to study at uni (give the 5 uni's you want to go to)

For AS I did Maths, English Language, Religious Studies and Chinese. Not sure which I will drop but probably Chinese. I want to study Japanese at uni, and my options are Cambridge (favourite), Sheffield, Edinburgh, Durham, SOAS I think unless I don't like Durham. :smile:
Original post by Supplynddemand99
Hello, I hope everyone's AS/A2 results went well.
I have a bit of a hard decision to make, so I was hoping you guys on here can help. I want to study economics at a Russell group Uni around the bath, Warwick level. Here are my AS grades:

AS Ocr Chemistry A: 119/140 (an A was 108)
AS AQA Physics :A (don't know my marks yet)
AS Edexcel Economics :got 69/80 in Micro (an A was 59), and haven't received my macro result back
AS ocr mei maths :A C1:B, C2:B S1: A (full ums)
I was very happy with my grades overall, but the problem is that my AS maths result is too low, (as I had a bad day, and the pressure got to me), so came out with only 85 UMS on avg, hence I wont be predicted an a* in a2 (which is a requirement of top
Russell group unis in economics). Is It worth applying for economics?
I am also currently doing my EPQ, but I don't know which subject I should drop and whether I should do AS Further maths or not.
Also, with my AS results, what could be prediction in A2 be.
Thanks in advance

Posted from TSR Mobile

For Economics, only UCL requires an A* for Maths so it wouldn't disadvantage you as long as you have at least another A* predicted if you were to apply to a top uni, which seems likely with your chemistry and economics marks as of yet
It's kinda scary that we're in year 13 already :s-smilie:

I've visited UEA (my top choice) and I've booked to visit Sussex. However, there's so many more I need to see and I don't know when I'm going to be able to (I don't live in mainland UK so it's very difficult and expensive to do so :frown:).

How are your personal statements getting along?I'm in process of writing my first draft and it's my aim by the end of this weekend to have finished my first attempt.

What subjects are you currently studying and, what do you hope to study at uni?
I've just completed my ASs in maths, geography, biology and psychology (which I'm dropping).
I hope to study geography and/or international development at uni. My original 5 choices were UEA (my fav), Sussex, Reading, Winchester and Chester but after doing far better in my ASs than expected (I may be predicted A*A*A next year) I need to have a rethink and maybe apply for a few places with higher entry requirements.
Wow year 13, I swear it was only yesterday we was starting year 12😦
I have visited some unis that I could possibly go to next year but not all them yet.
My personal statement is finished but currently doing a 2nd draft of it.
The subjects I studied in year 12 was Health and social double, sociology and psychology. I have no idea what subject I'm dropping for year 13. The course is hoping to study is early childhood studies. My 5 choices are Leeds trinity, Leeds Beckett, Edge hill, Sheffield Hallam and York st John.
Reply 88
Hullo!
I've been to quite a few - Liverpool, Nottingham, Oxford, Newcastle, Cardiff, Cambridge, Sheffield.

I've done a first draft which I think is decent. The only tiny problem is that it's 2000 characters too long... I have too much to put in!!! I'm going to have to cut some things out but it's going to be hard to decide what.

I did Bio, Chem, Maths, History at AS and somehow managed to get AAAA - dropping the History.
If my UKCAT goes well I'll probably apply to Notts & Newcastle but we shall have to see.... I think I might give Oxford a go, and then I'm not sure about the 4th - probably Liverpool.
Hey y'all! :smile:
I'll be studying english literature, english language and french for my a-levels, dropping biology this year - because i already know that mitochondria is the powerhouse of the cell :biggrin: hoping to study english at uni!
I've been to Durham, Exeter, Cambridge and St.Andrew's ( its one hell of a trek! :wink: ) those are my main ones really , although i want to look at Lancaster/Nottingham as well !
and the personal statement will be the death of me! i keep getting under the limit but i havent got anymore to say which is frustrating because ei dont want to repeat myself -_-
Hope everyones results day went alright? got the best of both worlds with mine
If I get predicted an A*A*B can I apply to unis asking for AAA
Original post by literaturista
(..)

Hey, how was St Andrews? Also, how did you get there?
Original post by Zedna
Hullo!
I've been to quite a few - Liverpool, Nottingham, Oxford, Newcastle, Cardiff, Cambridge, Sheffield.

I've done a first draft which I think is decent. The only tiny problem is that it's 2000 characters too long... I have too much to put in!!! I'm going to have to cut some things out but it's going to be hard to decide what.

I did Bio, Chem, Maths, History at AS and somehow managed to get AAAA - dropping the History.
If my UKCAT goes well I'll probably apply to Notts & Newcastle but we shall have to see.... I think I might give Oxford a go, and then I'm not sure about the 4th - probably Liverpool.

What was Nottingham like? It looks really nice but I won't get a chance to go to an open day :frown:
Original post by isabella1999
What was Nottingham like? It looks really nice but I won't get a chance to go to an open day :frown:

I stayed in Nottingham for a summer school and I loved it! I don't know if it's just the area I stayed it (Derby Halls) but there were loads of nice fields and scenery and it all had a very close knit campus feel to it. The town centre isn't too far from the uni either. I might be a little biased though:tongue:
Original post by DarkEnergy
Hey, how was St Andrews? Also, how did you get there?

It was sooo good! It's really beautiful despite being quite windy :wink: right in the coast, everything seemed perfect to me but the course- with English you have to study two other subjects which was frustrating at first but I don't think I mind it too much now! And I dragged my dad out there in the car 😂 from where we live it took us 6 hours so it was one hell of a road trip 😊😂

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by literaturista
It was sooo good! It's really beautiful despite being quite windy :wink: right in the coast, everything seemed perfect to me but the course- with English you have to study two other subjects which was frustrating at first but I don't think I mind it too much now! And I dragged my dad out there in the car 😂 from where we live it took us 6 hours so it was one hell of a road trip 😊😂

Oh cool. I don't mind the wind haha, I live up in a Northern coastal town so I've gotten used to it. Won't be able to get driven up so not 100% sure how I'd get there.
Ooh hey, I'm looking at Bristol and Kings too for medicine! You done the UKCAT yet? And ah I have got a checked draft but not happy with it yet :frown:

Got my UKCAT in two weeks so I'm focusing on that rather than my personal statement
Reply 97
How on earth am I going to get to Durham for the open day :frown:
Reply 98

Nottingham was my favourite open day - beautiful campus and it was so well organised, got to talk to loads of students and they all seemed to really enjoy it. What seems to put people off is that it isn't in the city centre, but I asked the students and they said the buses are quite good and that if you chip in for a taxi it's quite cheap.
1. Have people visited the uni's they would like to go to yet? I have visited Cambridge, Royal Holloway, Imperial, Queens Mary, Greenwhich for a variety of events. No but I might visit Surrey as it is close.

2. How are your personal statements getting along?Haven't started it yet however I have a lot of notes for each section. My personal statement is gonna bang!

3. What subjects are you currently studying and, what do you hope to study at uni (give the 5 uni's you want to go to)
I currently study Maths, Further Maths, Chemistry and Physics. I may pick up AS Computer Science in year 13 when I drop Physics. Maths at uni is the goal. Choices: Bath, Manchester, Surrey, Nottingham and Southampton!
(edited 7 years ago)

Quick Reply

Latest