The Student Room Group

Current nursing students please help!

I have seen on the gov website that I may be entitled to income support whilst studying but there's no info about it! I am currently on full income support and will be claiming the bursary and student finance starting September. I am a single mum and was wondering if anyone in my situation could claim it? Or housing benefit? Thankyou c
Reply 1
You won't get income support. You may get some housing benefit though

Posted from TSR Mobile
Hi, you will be able to claim housing benefit. But parts of the bursary will be classed as an income, so this will only be some help not full entitlement. You can also claim child tax credits. And of course as all students you will be exempt from council tax. Hope this helps 😀
Reply 3
I only get 25% off my council tax but I suppose it depends on your council

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by nursinghopeful15
Hi, you will be able to claim housing benefit. But parts of the bursary will be classed as an income, so this will only be some help not full entitlement. You can also claim child tax credits. And of course as all students you will be exempt from council tax. Hope this helps 😀

Do u know which parts? Thankyou x
Hi, Any of the child elements are not classed as an income such as the dependents allowance and parent learning so are excluded I think. The rest of the bursery would be classed as income and would go towards working out your housing benefit allowance x
Original post by wbnurse
I only get 25% off my council tax but I suppose it depends on your council

Posted from TSR Mobile

Hi just a quick question. Do you live with someone who works and there for eligible to pay council tax or do you live alone ?
Reply 7
Hi just a quick question. Do you live with someone who works and there for eligible to pay council tax or do you live alone ?

I live with my boyfriend yes and I can still get the discount as I'm named on the council tax also

Posted from TSR Mobile
That's ok, that's why you only get a 25% discount as there is someone in the household eligible to pay council tax, rather than it being an individual council choice. as the lady asking the question I'm presuming lives on her own so will not have to pay council tax
Reply 9
That's ok, that's why you only get a 25% discount as there is someone in the household eligible to pay council tax, rather than it being an individual council choice. as the lady asking the question I'm presuming lives on her own so will not have to pay council tax

No. Everyone even single people only get 25%. We all got a form in the first week stating that. Like I said it all depends on council. Yours may be different

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 10

And also single people get a single person discount so yes maybe it would be next to nothing. Student nurses do not get free council tax where I'm from

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by wbnurse
And also single people get a single person discount so yes maybe it would be next to nothing. Student nurses do not get free council tax where I'm from

Posted from TSR Mobile

According to the government website every full time student is exempt from council tax image.jpg
Reply 12
According to the government website every full time student is exempt from council tax image.jpg

Look I've questioned this countless times. I'm really not lying lol. Pre reg (nurses, research etc) DO NOT get free council tax. I can't explain why. I think it's all down to us getting a bursery and tuition fees paid

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 13

ImageUploadedByStudent Room1471810990.160125.jpg
This is from my local councils website

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by wbnurse
Look I've questioned this countless times. I'm really not lying lol. Pre reg (nurses, research etc) DO NOT get free council tax. I can't explain why. I think it's all down to us getting a bursery and tuition fees paid

Posted from TSR Mobile

Sorry didn't mean to question you. And obviously you know what you pay lol
But think we are both correct in what we are saying. As a student living in a household with other ppl it is not free from council tax it is a 25 % discount. But a single person living with children would in essence be exempt from council tax as they are the only person elegiable
Reply 15
Sorry didn't mean to question you. And obviously you know what you pay lol
But think we are both correct in what we are saying. As a student living in a household with other ppl it is not free from council tax it is a 25 % discount. But a single person living with children would in essence be exempt from council tax as they are the only person elegiable

My friend is single and she gets single person discount and 25% off. Like I said earlier it's all down to your local council. It's not a national thing.....which I too thought it was until we started this course. She doesn't pay a lot with the discount in place also but definitely doesn't get it for free

Posted from TSR Mobile
If you are single AND a full-time student you are exempt from paying council tax. The discount applies where full council tax is based on 2 or more people in a household, what the council site is explaining that if someone in your household is a student/student nurse, i.e one person, then the other person(S) (should they not come under the list for exemption) qualify for a discount (usually 25%). In this lady's case as she is single she currently qualifies for 25% discount but if she starts a full-time course, she will therefore be classed as a student and as the only adult in the household will not pay council tax.

Hope that helps, not sure if I've explained it as clearly as I could have!

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending