The Student Room Group

Edexcel geography a level remark as level-urgent help please!

Scroll to see replies

Original post by IRoranth
Well, tbh, for remarks- no. If this is for your future and university etc etc, getting a B rather than a C would be more desirable to unis, so i think it's advantageous.

It's totally up to you though, I feel a B is fine and you shouldn't have to risk it to get an A.

You're lucky you're not remarking something where there is only ONE correct answer, e.g.maths, where it would be much harder to bump up a grade, unlike in essay based subjects.

The plan is to remark them both, hopefuly go up to a B, get predicted A, resit one of the modules
Original post by geography1294
The plan is to remark them both, hopefuly go up to a B, get predicted A, resit one of the modules

Can your school predict you a grade if that subject is still on the old spec?
Which module are you thinking of resitting?

Good luck with your plan! =D
Can your school predict you a grade if that subject is still on the old spec?
Which module are you thinking of resitting?

Good luck with your plan! =D

Yup,get predicted one grade higher than AS, so do you see why i need A b to be predicted an A
Yup,get predicted one grade higher than AS, so do you see why i need A b to be predicted an A

Yeah, lol :biggrin: I get you,

Good luck!
Yeah, lol :biggrin: I get you,

Good luck!

Haah! what do you want to study at university
Haah! what do you want to study at university

I really wanna do International Relations, what about you?
QUOTE=IRoranth;67068462]I really wanna do International Relations, what about you?
I wanted to do geography (need AAB), but now my dream is in tatters
QUOTE=IRoranth;67068462]I really wanna do International Relations, what about you?

Don't worry too much about it, you'll be fine. It's not the end of the world and there are soooooo many other ways to get the grade you want- like a remark :wink:

What other subjects do you do?

Good luck x

Don't worry too much about it, you'll be fine. It's not the end of the world and there are soooooo many other ways to get the grade you want- like a remark :wink:

What other subjects do you do?

Good luck x

Maths and chemistry lol
X

Wooooooooah, chemistry tho- I respect you for that, lol.

I do GovPol and Psychology (did Bio for AS, too, but gonna be dropping next year)

Before results day, did you already start your A2 geog? I did, it's alright, except the 70 marker is slightly scaring me lol D:
Wooooooooah, chemistry tho- I respect you for that, lol.

I do GovPol and Psychology (did Bio for AS, too, but gonna be dropping next year)

Before results day, did you already start your A2 geog? I did, it's alright, except the 70 marker is slightly scaring me lol D:

Yeah, we've done a bit of it, not much. The report stuff seems easy to stuff up tho
does anybody know what this " subjective marking" malarkey is? Im gettin bio remarked but also some essay based subjects and people on the studentroom keep scaring me about this marking and how examiners are unlikely to give you higher marks ? wtf? of course essay subjects are gonna be subective thats the whole point.. its interpretation... does this apply to A2 exams or just the new AS exams.. someone reply quick im freaking out right now. Also has anyone had any essay subjects e.g. eco/ psych and Bio remarked yet? have they gone up or down ?
Original post by Anymorefor123
does anybody know what this " subjective marking" malarkey is? Im gettin bio remarked but also some essay based subjects and people on the studentroom keep scaring me about this marking and how examiners are unlikely to give you higher marks ? wtf? of course essay subjects are gonna be subective thats the whole point.. its interpretation... does this apply to A2 exams or just the new AS exams.. someone reply quick im freaking out right now. Also has anyone had any essay subjects e.g. eco/ psych and Bio remarked yet? have they gone up or down ?

Seen several about 7 re-marks back so far this year from Edexcel and OCR. Mixed subjects. Seem to be getting about the same amount of success as usual -1 grade changed and a couple with increased UMS.
Original post by Compost
Seen several about 7 re-marks back so far this year from Edexcel and OCR. Mixed subjects. Seem to be getting about the same amount of success as usual -1 grade changed and a couple with increased UMS.

i just cant see how this is FAIR? I mean im 3 ums off 2 A grades in two subjects and reading this new rule has **** scared me into thinking head examiners are gonna be extra strict and give no marks.. I missed both my uni offers and now because of this i probably wont meet them :frown:
i just cant see how this is FAIR? I mean im 3 ums off 2 A grades in two subjects and reading this new rule has **** scared me into thinking head examiners are gonna be extra strict and give no marks.. I missed both my uni offers and now because of this i probably wont meet them :frown:

No system is fair. You may not live near a good school, your teacher may have a bad year as he is in the middle of a messy divorce, the exam may contain all the questions you hoped for - or none of them, you may just get 3 grades - or just miss 3, you may not have the money to pay for a re-mark, etc etc.

The new system has been brought in to try to make it fairer as it it has been perceived that the re-mark system favours the wealthy as they can afford re-marks and that re-markers are swayed by a certain level of sympathy as the candidate obviously really wants the better grade. Definite errors will still be corrected, it's just they are going to be less sympathetic on the debatable marks.
(edited 7 years ago)
Original post by Compost
No system is fair. You may not live near a good school, your teacher may have a bad year as he is in the middle of a messy divorce, the exam may contain all the questions you hoped for - or none of them, you may not have the money to pay for a re-mark, etc etc.

The new system has been brought in to try to make it fairer as it it has been perceived that the re-mark system favours the wealthy as they can afford re-marks and that re-markers are swayed by a certain level of sympathy as the candidate obviously really wants the better grade. Definite errors will still be corrected, it's just they are going to be less sympathetic on the debatable marks.

Thats complete rubbish ! im not rich.. if anything were probably under average.. I go to a *****y state school.... but education is really important to my family and myself and being so close to the grades youve worked so hard for does make a difference on our decision to get a remark for something or not. It doesnt seem fair that if you've worked so hard for something, and its quite evident in your answers.. that youre cut short of a grade because an examiner feels he may be being too " kind or subjective". Argh i hope the best

also do you know when priority remarks occur, if head examiners can see the previous marks you attained ? and why..
Thats complete rubbish ! im not rich.. if anything were probably under average.. I go to a *****y state school.... but education is really important to my family and myself and being so close to the grades youve worked so hard for does make a difference on our decision to get a remark for something or not. It doesnt seem fair that if you've worked so hard for something, and its quite evident in your answers.. that youre cut short of a grade because an examiner feels he may be being too " kind or subjective". Argh i hope the best

also do you know when priority remarks occur, if head examiners can see the previous marks you attained ? and why..

The remarking system has changed too, which makes it harder for marks to go up.

Is geography still the old spec? Also what university do you wish to go to?
Hey guys, I'm in a similar situation. I found this year's exam really odd - constantly got high As throughout the year and my results was a B, 155 UMS (5 off an A). I've sent both off for a remark since it's only like 2 raw marks I need to push it up for an A.

I'm shocked because I did really well in Unit 2 (something like 90% of all total marks) but apparently I completely flopped Unit 1 with a low B, which doesn't make sense because I felt that although it was a weird exam, I knew all the answers and did a point per mark and extra, including explanation? :s-smilie: I did every Unit 1 past paper so I kind of knew what the examiners were looking for in the lengthier answers too. I even looked up some of the answers afterwards by cross-referencing my textbook and they were correct. So I'm worried it was maybe a case of examiners not being able to read my handwriting or something else completely. Anyway, I'm hoping it can be pushed up to an A.

Has anyone heard of anyone getting their remarks back, and if so, what was the outcome?
(edited 7 years ago)
Original post by ninapudding
Hey guys, I'm in a similar situation. I found this year's exam really odd - constantly got high As throughout the year and my results was a B, 155 UMS (5 off an A). I've sent both off for a remark since it's only like 2 raw marks I need to push it up for an A.

Has anyone heard of anyone getting their remarks back, and if so, what was the outcome?

It might have been a better bet to get copies of the scripts back first or just gone for a re-mark of the unit you did worse on, but now you'll juts have to wait to see what comes back. Most re-marks don't change (80%ish) and they can go down as well as up but each case is different so you'll just have to wait to see what happens to yours. Quite a few priority re-marks put in on Thursday have already come back, the standard ones should be back within a couple of weeks although the stated time frame is 28 days.
QUOTE=Compost;67107774]It might have been a better bet to get copies of the scripts back first or just gone for a re-mark of the unit you did worse on, but now you'll juts have to wait to see what comes back. Most re-marks don't change (80%ish) and they can go down as well as up but each case is different so you'll just have to wait to see what happens to yours. Quite a few priority re-marks put in on Thursday have already come back, the standard ones should be back within a couple of weeks although the stated time frame is 28 days.

It seems very odd for my strongest paper, for me to have done worse in by alot

Quick Reply

Latest