The Student Room Group

This discussion is now closed.

Check out other Related discussions

Why abortion should be illegal

Scroll to see replies

If men were the ones that had to deal with pregnancies there would be absolutely no question about the "legality" of abortion. How many unwanted children are you willing to adopt OP?*

Reply 61
Original post by Gwilym101
So would you two consider it acceptable for doctors to forcibly removed to say a kidney to save someone? Even if you didn't want to donate a kidney?

No I don't think its right... 10/10 on trying to twist the question. They should have a choice.
Most people would say you have a responsibility to help someone if you're physically able to as well.

My argument was about people dismissing the idea that its the womans body so she has the final say in what happens to it. If someone doesn't like that idea they shouldn't have any issue with being forced to donate organs, hell the recovery time would be quicker than going through pregnancy.

You don't have responsibility to help a random person if it's potentially hazardous to you. I'm not arguing in support of banning abortion, I disagree with it in most cases but I recognise it should be available.

The argument of its a woman's body so it's her choice is nonsense. A foetus isn't a woman's body, you have no ownership over your own body and even if a foetus was a part of a woman, we don't just let people instruct doctors to remove body parts because we don't want them anymore
Reply 63
As if these opinions actually count.
Original post by DanielleT192
Okay, so how is it possible for someone to abort if it's illegal in their country? Have you got any evidence? because letting them die when giving birth or killing themselves isn't the same as aborting ***

I said that they would find a way, if they don't want the child they don't want the child end of. Just because it's illegal doesn't mean that you can't have access, think about it how do people get hold of illegal drugs when it is illegal or how do they find illegal cosmetic place to get cheap implants etc. In other words, it's called the black market...CHA
Sorry mate but common sense, just because things are illegal doesn't mean you will not find someone doesn't or selling the practice.

tbh, if you want to believe in abortion that is fine, but I believe that there is, pros and cons to each argument and I think there is no point of having abortion illegal and that is ok your views are different and mine are two, just please go back to your question that you asked me it's not that hard to answer.
(edited 7 years ago)
Christopher Hitchens was a strong advocate of empowerment of women and giving women complete control over their bodies. Making abortion illegal takes away this right and is one of the primary causes in poverty across the world. I'm sorry but I can't comprehend why anyone would want to stand in the way of the eradication of poverty worldwide.
Original post by Underscore__
You don't have responsibility to help a random person if it's potentially hazardous to you. I'm not arguing in support of banning abortion, I disagree with it in most cases but I recognise it should be available.

The argument of its a woman's body so it's her choice is nonsense. A foetus isn't a woman's body, you have no ownership over your own body and even if a foetus was a part of a woman, we don't just let people instruct doctors to remove body parts because we don't want them anymore

I take it by the bolded bit you would support, doctors removing organs then. I damn well own my body, and no one does anything to it without my say so. Even if we accept the idea that a foetus isn't part of a woman's body, her body is still going to be permanently altered over a long arduous, uncomfortable process. Frankly organ donation would be quicker and easier, if a woman doesn't want her body to change, no one has the right to force it on her.

We do instruct doctors to remove body parts that aren't wanted, its called cosmetic surgury.
Original post by BunnyMidnight
I said that they would find a way, if they don't want the child they don't want the child end of. Just because it's illegal doesn't mean that you can't have access, think about it how do people get hold of illegal drugs when it is illegal or how do they find illegal cosmetic place to get cheap implants etc. In other words, it's called the black market...CHA
Sorry mate but common sense, just because things are illegal doesn't mean you will not find someone doesn't or selling the practice.

tbh, if you want to believe in abortion that is fine, but I believe that there is, pros and cons to each argument and I think there is no point of having abortion illegal and that is ok your views are different and mine are two, just please go back to your question that you asked me it's not that hard to answer.

I asked you the question because I was curious. Drugs and abortion are completely different. Drug smuggling is known - there's documentaries, people have investigated this. I haven't read or watched anywhere about this being the same for abortion, so no I don't think it is "common sense".

Who said that I am all for abortion? Obviously there's pros and cons to each side of the argument. *
Original post by DanielleT192
I asked you the question because I was curious. Drugs and abortion are completely different. Drug smuggling is known - there's documentaries, people have investigated this. I haven't read or watched anywhere about this being the same for abortion, so no I don't think it is "common sense".

Who said that I am all for abortion? Obviously there's pros and cons to each side of the argument. *

I wasn't trying to be rude or aggressive; so sorry it comes off as that.
I'm just saying there is article/evidence of this. for one example there are illegal clinics in countries where abortion is legal and illegal and they are operating successfully and are "hidden". These things are possible. There are investigations, people studying it, reports and even news articles.
I take it by the bolded bit you would support, doctors removing organs then. I damn well own my body, and no one does anything to it without my say so.

Ownership is a legal concept, the law is very clear that people do not own their body. No because like I explained previously I have no responsibility for another random person and I haven't done anything to put them in that position.

Even if we accept the idea that a foetus isn't part of a woman's body, her body is still going to be permanently altered over a long arduous, uncomfortable process. Frankly organ donation would be quicker and easier, if a woman doesn't want her body to change, no one has the right to force it on her.

No ones forcing it on anyone, you can avoid becoming pregnant, you haven't put forward anyway of avoiding your proposed organ harvesting scheme.

We do instruct doctors to remove body parts that aren't wanted, its called cosmetic surgury.

And that is strictly limited. If you support a woman's right to have an abortion you should support someone if they decided they wanted to have their arms legs amputated and surgically attached to their head.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by #ChaosKass
Abortion is completely immoral. Just think of the number of potential Einsteins, Churchills etc that have been murdered in the name of "right to choice".

By this logic, just think about the number of potential Hitlers, Bin Ladens and Stalins who've been prevented from coming into existence...
(edited 7 years ago)
Original post by Abstract_Prism
I just can't get behind the 'it's her body' argument. Because it's not really her body, is it? It's another body within her body. Besides, basing the argument on that results in fallacies. Why is abortion not ok beyond X week in that case? It's still 'her body'. It doesn't spawn its own existence spontaneously beyond a certain week. It doesn't make sense why abortion shouldn't be legal all throughout the pregnancy if you're using the 'it's her body' argument.

I'm not saying that abortion is wrong. I'm saying that this argument is a bad one.

It's more the fact that after a certain period of time, the fetus can be recognized as a human, capable of surviving by itself outside the woman's body.

Before that point the fetus is not human, nor is it a body.
If a woman is not allowed to have an abortion mean shouldnt be allowed to leave them. They play a part on making the baby as well and they should have responsibilities.

Also even if abortions became illegal women would still find ways. It's just that many of them woukd die in the proccess. Is tgat what you wiuld want?

And to the people saying " what if the aborted fetus is the next einstein?"
What if the next einstein is a teenage girl that is forced to keep a baby she doesnt want and in order to raise it misses out on her education and potential?
Original post by NUSTweb
It's about what is made lawful by God and what is made unlawful by God...Killing children is made unlawful...while animals were made for human use....there are things (harmful) which He forbade and the good things he allowed....
And idk much of fetus but being a human I can clearly understand that abortion is liking killing a kid....and secondly that kid is part of mother.....
Like here in Pakistan..kids seats are charged no-where until they sit in lap of their mothers.....so seat and passport issue depends on both space and understanding....
And plants and certain animals are made lawful to eat while some animals aren't.....
and a life is a life...this is your materialistic approach by which million were killed and will be killed....

Don't you read what God said in Quran?
''Every soul will taste death. And We test you with evil and with good as trial; and to Us you will be returned. ''

Did God specifically said a fetus is a human? If not, how can you just assert that it is? A fetus does not necessarily have feelings, thoughts, or even a pulse. There's literally no life in it initially. It doesn't even resemble human beings that much.

A life is a life? You're so contradictory. Animals and plants are lives too. You tried to use these phrases to make it seem like you're standing on the moral highground when in reality you're not.

Passports are not an issue of space and understanding. You need a passport to take an infant on to a flight and you should need one for your fetus if you think it should be legally recognized as human. You can't class it as human to meet your narrative without applying it to all other contexts.
I think considering the huge amount of options for contraception, there isn't really an excuse. If a baby survives all the potential contraceptive methods, I think It has earned a right to live. In cases of rape and incest which are unprotected, you could always use the morning after pill, which is effective ~95% of the time.
Original post by LavenderBlueSky88
If men were the ones that had to deal with pregnancies there would be absolutely no question about the "legality" of abortion. How many unwanted children are you willing to adopt OP?*

Just for the record, I am a woman and I agree with the OP. It's not just men who are anti-abortion, you know
Original post by venetiaan
If a woman is not allowed to have an abortion mean shouldnt be allowed to leave them. They play a part on making the baby as well and they should have responsibilities.

But the current system is quite unfair; a woman can have an abortion but a man will be at least financially tied to the child.

Original post by venetiaan
Also even if abortions became illegal women would still find ways. It's just that many of them woukd die in the proccess. Is tgat what you wiuld want?

Just because people will still do something it doesn't mean it should be legal. Rape and murder is illegal yet people still rape and murder so shall we legalise that?

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by #ChaosKass
Abstinence is the way to go. If you don't want a baby then why on Earth are you having sex?

The middle ages called..
Original post by Underscore__
But the current system is quite unfair; a woman can have an abortion but a man will be at least financially tied to the child.

Just because people will still do something it doesn't mean it should be legal. Rape and murder is illegal yet people still rape and murder so shall we legalise that?

Posted from TSR Mobile

And yet many men leave and never pay a penny.
I think they both the man and the woman should sit down and talk about things thouroughly. In the end though it is the womans choice cause in most cases she's is the one who will sacrifice the mist for the child.
And there are cases when the couple agrees they do not want a child. Why should they be forced to keep it?

Are seriously comparing rape and murder to abortion?
so if you'd been raped at 15 you wouldn't have even considered a termination?*

Of course I'm not saying abortions only happen in extreme circumstances and I'm not condoning women using them as some twisted form of contraception (which I don't think they are, as I've heard abortions are quite painful and traumatic even early on) - I just don't understand how you can be against something which basically gives women a right over their own bodies and lives. *

Latest

Trending

Trending