The Student Room Group

Which Engineering degree should I take??

Hey guys! I just got my AS results and they were average/meh (A*AA) in Chemistry, Physics, Maths, Further Maths and I've decided I want to do some form of engineering in Imperial (hopefully) and I am very certain I want to do Investment Banking after I've gotten my degree. Therefore, I have narrowed it down to Chemical, Electrical & Electronic, Civil or Materials but I have encountered some problems in choosing the courses :/ Here is situation with each shortlisted engineering degrees right now for me.

1. Chemical - Probably the one I'm most interested in right now. Have a relatively fair bit to talk about on UCAS regarding work experience but VERY VERY fierce competition for at Imperial :/

2. Electrical & Electronic - I don't mind doing it and not as fierce a competition as Chemical at Imperial but don't really have a passion for it despite it's good job prospects and maths intensive course that is beneficial for Investment Banking. Have some stuff to talk about on UCAS but not as much as chemical.

3. Civil - Quite interested in alongside Chemical, not as fierce competition as chemical in Imperial but I am worried it doesn't equip me as well for Investment Banking as Electrical. Also not much to talk about in UCAS (eg - work experience and stuff)

4. Materials - One of the easier courses to get into at Imperial and have quite a few stuff to talk about on UCAS but terrible job prospects and doesn't equip me very well for Investment Banking. :/ Don't really mind doing either.

Help guys!! Thanks!! :smile:

Scroll to see replies

Original post by nonametosee
Hey guys! I just got my AS results and they were average/meh (A*AA) in Chemistry, Physics, Maths, Further Maths and I've decided I want to do some form of engineering in Imperial (hopefully) and I am very certain I want to do Investment Banking after I've gotten my degree. Therefore, I have narrowed it down to Chemical, Electrical & Electronic, Civil or Materials but I have encountered some problems in choosing the courses :/ Here is situation with each shortlisted engineering degrees right now for me.

1. Chemical - Probably the one I'm most interested in right now. Have a relatively fair bit to talk about on UCAS regarding work experience but VERY VERY fierce competition for at Imperial :/

2. Electrical & Electronic - I don't mind doing it and not as fierce a competition as Chemical at Imperial but don't really have a passion for it despite it's good job prospects and maths intensive course that is beneficial for Investment Banking. Have some stuff to talk about on UCAS but not as much as chemical.

3. Civil - Quite interested in alongside Chemical, not as fierce competition as chemical in Imperial but I am worried it doesn't equip me as well for Investment Banking as Electrical. Also not much to talk about in UCAS (eg - work experience and stuff)

4. Materials - One of the easier courses to get into at Imperial and have quite a few stuff to talk about on UCAS but terrible job prospects and doesn't equip me very well for Investment Banking. :/ Don't really mind doing either.

Mech/Chem are probably the best for IB. Does it have to be at imperial? Cambridge and UCL are also target unis that do chem eng, and nottingham apparently has a surprisingly large number of investment bankers, if you wanted an 'easier' course.
Reply 2
Original post by richpanda
Mech/Chem are probably the best for IB. Does it have to be at imperial? Cambridge and UCL are also target unis that do chem eng, and nottingham apparently has a surprisingly large number of investment bankers, if you wanted an 'easier' course.

Mechanical Engineering competition is more scary than Chemical. :/ It was initially my first choice until I saw my friends averaging 94% overall getting rejected and other friends with 96% average getting 3 A* offers and yes I really want Imperial haha! My chances of getting into Cambridge are like minimal to none. :frown: Would you not recommend Civil Engineering?
Reply 3
A*AA Average? You've already got the attitude of an investment banker. Could always consider Software Engineering.

Since this thread is about investment banking, would you like me to move this thread to the investment banking sub-forum where you will hopefully get better answers?
Reply 5
Original post by Smack
Since this thread is about investment banking, would you like me to move this thread to the investment banking sub-forum where you will hopefully get better answers?

Yeah sure! No problem with that! Thanks! :smile:
You're going to study engineering and waste that knowledge on investment banking. You suck

jk :P

Posted from TSR Mobile

It doesn't matter which of these you do if you want to go into banking.

Choose based on another criteria, I don't know why people think a certain course will prep you for banking.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Am I the only one who thinks you should just go to LSE or something and do a finance/banking related degree instead? If you don't want to be an engineer after your degree, and go into banking instead, it would make more sense (to me) to do a banking/finance/economics degree, and with those AS you'll be able to go to a good uni. Also how did you get an A* at AS? I thought the max you could get was an A at AS.
Original post by RallySPORT
Am I the only one who thinks you should just go to LSE or something and do a finance/banking related degree instead? If you don't want to be an engineer after your degree, and go into banking instead, it would make more sense (to me) to do a banking/finance/economics degree, and with those AS you'll be able to go to a good uni. Also how did you get an A* at AS? I thought the max you could get was an A at AS.

As long as OP wants to study engineering and is genuinely interested in it, there is no harm in going down the path they have set out on. It's only problematic if they're doing an engineering degree for dubious reasons (e.g. it sounds nice).

A lot of people do full maths a-level in their first year of sixth form and then full further maths in their second year.

Posted from TSR Mobile
True. I'm just grumpy because my school made me drop maths at AS, putting an end to all my engineering dreams... Also if you were choosing an engineering one I'd do electrical, I did work experience in electrical engineering and there's so many different areas you can go into, you're not just restricted down like you are with materials, for example.
Yeah sure! No problem with that! Thanks! :smile:

Done.
any would be fine

we have chem engineers, aeronutical engineers, mechanical engineers etc.. in the IB division
I'm heavily biased because i'll be off to do Civil Engineering, but I will chime in anyway.

If you would like to get into IB later in life, it really doesn't matter as all of them use complex math to some degree. While Civil is regarded as the least intensive in terms of maths, it is still more than enough for what banks want you to have.

Here is why civil is a good choice:

- Absurdly huge range of jobs because it is such a broad field
- Most in demand out of all them
( http://www.visabureau.com/uk/shortage-occupations-list.aspx) just look at that!
- You get to work indoors and outdoors
- You get to travel quite a bit
- You can work anywhere in the world since you aren't bound to a specific industry
- You get to work on huge ass projects. I mean it's buildings goddamit!

OTOH you earn a smudge less on average for the first couple years, and you have to deal with people alot more.
Original post by KardasDragon
I'm heavily biased because i'll be off to do Civil Engineering, but I will chime in anyway.

If you would like to get into IB later in life, it really doesn't matter as all of them use complex math to some degree. While Civil is regarded as the least intensive in terms of maths, it is still more than enough for what banks want you to have.

Here is why civil is a good choice:

- Absurdly huge range of jobs because it is such a broad field
- Most in demand out of all them
( http://www.visabureau.com/uk/shortage-occupations-list.aspx) just look at that!
- You get to work indoors and outdoors
- You get to travel quite a bit
- You can work anywhere in the world since you aren't bound to a specific industry
- You get to work on huge ass projects. I mean it's buildings goddamit!

OTOH you earn a smudge less on average for the first couple years, and you have to deal with people alot more.

You don't need complex maths for IB tbf.

And the selling points you gave are only if OP would end up pursuing engineering as a career.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 15
Could it not be convenient to have the programming knowledge from an EEE degree in your back pocket when in finance? More and more things will become reliant upon programming in the future.
I do Chem eng, so totally not biased.

Basic summary.
Mechanical engineers - Glorified Car Mechanics
Electrical Engineering - Light switch makers
Civil - Concrete / Tarmac enthusiasts
Chemical Engineers - Dons.

Be sensible. Pick Chemical Engineering.
Original post by alexjones1994
I do Chem eng, so totally not biased.

Basic summary.
Mechanical engineers - Glorified Car Mechanics
Electrical Engineering - Light switch makers
Civil - Concrete / Tarmac enthusiasts
Chemical Engineers - Dons.

Be sensible. Pick Chemical Engineering.

Chemical engineers are just secondary school science teachers in disguise tbh. And material science=glorified knitting.

Hey guys! I just got my AS results and they were average/meh (A*AA) in Chemistry, Physics, Maths, Further Maths

.... Why do TSR users do this?

":frown: I only got 9A*'s at GCSE instead of 10. Should I just end my life now? Such meh greades". Also the number of grades you got and the number of subjects you took don't match up lol
(edited 7 years ago)
Reply 18
A*AA

Chemistry, Physics, Maths, Further Maths

AS results

Really bro?
Original post by Yua
A*AA

Chemistry, Physics, Maths, Further Maths

AS results

Really bro?

Maths + FM can follow the full maths first yr, full FM second year pattern. Tis not that absurd.

Posted from TSR Mobile

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending