The Student Room Group

UKCAT calculator help

Hi I'm trying to use the calculator on medify to study my UKCAT and a question came up which I got wrong on the QR section. It was asking me to calculate 6.0x10^24 x 0.0025 kg. How do I do that on the calculator? Is it even possible or am I being stupid?
Original post by Sazal
Hi I'm trying to use the calculator on medify to study my UKCAT and a question came up which I got wrong on the QR section. It was asking me to calculate 6.0x10^24 x 0.0025 kg. How do I do that on the calculator? Is it even possible or am I being stupid?

You do it in your head. 0.0025 kg is 2.5x10^-3 so 6.0x2.5x10^21
Reply 2
Original post by Sazal

Xenon17's got it spot on. You wouldn't touch the calculator for that calculation - you'd do it in your head. As a general rule, it's useful to minimise use of the calculator, especially when dealing with very large numbers (ie: powers) that are difficult to input into it :smile:

Quick Reply