The Student Room Group

Can I get my manager fired?

My boss is a bully. He is intimidating, antagonistic and aggressive. He shouts, swears and insults his employees. He is constantly threatening staff with dismissal if they do not adhere to his rules, despite not training them adequately. He has also made some sexist and homophobic comments which make me very uncomfortable. I am tempted to write a letter to HR but I fear that I will not be taken seriously as the company I work for are infamous for their mistreatment of employees. The next step would be legal action, but I am frankly fearful and not well equipped to deal with a case. What shall I do?
Original post by historeek
My boss is a bully. He is intimidating, antagonistic and aggressive. He shouts, swears and insults his employees. He is constantly threatening staff with dismissal if they do not adhere to his rules, despite not training them adequately. He has also made some sexist and homophobic comments which make me very uncomfortable. I am tempted to write a letter to HR but I fear that I will not be taken seriously as the company I work for are infamous for their mistreatment of employees. The next step would be legal action, but I am frankly fearful and not well equipped to deal with a case. What shall I do?

I'd definitely contact HR. It might also be worth joining a union, if possible, so you have the support. Your manager may not get fired, but there should definitely be some kind of action at least. It might be a good idea to talk to your colleagues, ones who you know feel the same way, and see if they'll contact HR too. If your claims are backed up by other employees claiming the same things then they can't ignore it. Good luck!
Reply 2
Original post by chelseadagg3r
I'd definitely contact HR. It might also be worth joining a union, if possible, so you have the support. Your manager may not get fired, but there should definitely be some kind of action at least. It might be a good idea to talk to your colleagues, ones who you know feel the same way, and see if they'll contact HR too. If your claims are backed up by other employees claiming the same things then they can't ignore it. Good luck!

I've already gotten someone to side with me. I know that most employees dislike him so it won't be difficult to talk to them about it. Thanks for the advice!

You will need evidence and other people being prepared to support you. If you take that path then be prepared it will get messy. No evidence and its just your word against theirs.
do you work at Sports Direct lmao

Spoiler

You could try and secretly record him behaving like this so you've got something to back yourself up with.

As above it'll get messy so don't have any expectations to still be working there afterwards regardless of the outcome.

No matter what they say you're entitled to join a union and be accompanied by a representative at all internal proceedings.
(edited 7 years ago)
Reply 6
Original post by wickedisgood

Spoiler

Omg yes
Reply 7
Original post by JamesN88
You could try and secretly record him behaving like this so you've got something to back yourself up with.

As above it'll get messy so don't have any expectations to still be working there afterwards regardless of the outcome.

No matter what they say you're entitled to join a union and be accompanied by a representative at all internal proceedings.

I'm not bothered about being fired because I'm only doing this job until uni restarts. How do I go about joining a union?
I'm not bothered about being fired because I'm only doing this job until uni restarts. How do I go about joining a union?

Just go onto any Trade Union's website, however some only operate for specific fields of employment.

Unite were leading the charge against Sports Direct so they might be your best bet.

http://www.unitetheunion.org/campaigning/support-sports-direct-workers---sign-our-petition/

The TUC have most of them under their banner.

https://www.tuc.org.uk/join-union
(edited 7 years ago)
Original post by wickedisgood

Spoiler

This is what I thought when I clicked on this thread too (not from personal experience)

To the OP, if you can record your managers abusive behaviour in any way, like having a hidden body cam or microphone, you might be able to get somewhere

@historeek
Reply 10
Original post by JamesN88
Just go onto any Trade Union's website, however some only operate for specific fields of employment.

Unite were leading the charge against Sports Direct so they might be your best bet.

http://www.unitetheunion.org/campaigning/support-sports-direct-workers---sign-our-petition/

The TUC have most of them under their banner.

https://www.tuc.org.uk/join-union

Thanks so much!!
Reply 11
We have CCTV in the store so I'm hoping that should be able to show his aggression towards employees. I'm going to try and record when I'm around him
Id say they'd give him a. Strong warning, what would really help is if lots of your colleagues all complained about him
Original post by chelseadagg3r

I agree
Reply 14
you can take it to employment tribunal https://www.gov.uk/being-taken-to-employment-tribunal-by-employee let me know if this helps

you should see if you can sort out the problem informally first. If they can’t, talk to your:

manager

human resources (HR) department

trade union representative

If this doesn’t work, they can make a formal complaint using their employer’s grievance procedure. If this doesn’t work and they’re still being harassed, they can take legal action at an employment tribunal.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending