The Student Room Group

Predicted grade boundaries- 2016

Scroll to see replies

Original post by Vyres
Actually I have a very strong prediction for computing. My computing teacher was a ex-OCR Examiner/Moderator. His predictions for me to achieve the following grades were as followed (my teacher usually always has a very firm prediction, and 9.5/10 is right with what he predicts).

Coursework (A453): A
Coursework (A452): A (I don't know if my teacher remarked this coursework, would definitely go to an A* if he did, if not i'll appeal it on results day if I don't get an A overall in computing)

His predictions for me, keeping in mind I got 2 A's in the coursework

The below shows how many marks I'd need in A451 (the written exam) to achieve the respective grades.

C = 7-15 Marks, B = 15-20 Marks, A = 30-40 Marks, A* = 40-50 Marks

I'm sure if you insert your own coursework grades instead of mine, you can get a good idea of how many marks you'd need to get the grade you want.

As for OCR Maths, my personal prediction (along with some discussion with my teachers and friends are as follows)

C = 64-67 Marks/200, B = 99-102 Marks/200, A = 134-137 Marks/200, A* = 165-167 Marks/200

I may be off with the maths marks but, a lot of my teachers agreed that the exam this year was much harder, and that it's extremely likely that the grade boundaries will be slightly lower than before.

I hope this helps. :smile:

Thank you. For OCR Computing I got 2As in my coursework. An A in A452 and an A in A453. But I got a B overall for my coursework somehow. So would this still apply to your predictions. Would I still need 30-40 marks in the exam to get an A overall.
Reply 21
Original post by miraclemuokebe
Thank you. For OCR Computing I got 2As in my coursework. An A in A452 and an A in A453. But I got a B overall for my coursework somehow. So would this still apply to your predictions. Would I still need 30-40 marks in the exam to get an A overall.

Yes you would still need around 30-40 marks in the exam to get an A. The exact amount my teacher told me to get A was around 27-29, but I thought using a much more broad boundary would be more beneficial for people.
Original post by Thelabtatpast
B1 45 A*
36 A
27 b
18 C
I believe

Hopefully!!
Which exam board did you do you maths GCSE with
Original post by Fatimabibi_
Hopefully!!
Which exam board did you do you maths GCSE with

Edexcel
Original post by Vyres
Actually I have a very strong prediction for computing. My computing teacher was a ex-OCR Examiner/Moderator. His predictions for me to achieve the following grades were as followed (my teacher usually always has a very firm prediction, and 9.5/10 is right with what he predicts).

Coursework (A453): A
Coursework (A452): A (I don't know if my teacher remarked this coursework, would definitely go to an A* if he did, if not i'll appeal it on results day if I don't get an A overall in computing)

His predictions for me, keeping in mind I got 2 A's in the coursework

The below shows how many marks I'd need in A451 (the written exam) to achieve the respective grades.

C = 7-15 Marks, B = 15-20 Marks, A = 30-40 Marks, A* = 40-50 Marks

I'm sure if you insert your own coursework grades instead of mine, you can get a good idea of how many marks you'd need to get the grade you want.

As for OCR Maths, my personal prediction (along with some discussion with my teachers and friends are as follows)

C = 64-67 Marks/200, B = 99-102 Marks/200, A = 134-137 Marks/200, A* = 165-167 Marks/200

I may be off with the maths marks but, a lot of my teachers agreed that the exam this year was much harder, and that it's extremely likely that the grade boundaries will be slightly lower than before.

I hope this helps. :smile:

40-50 marks for an A*? The exam is out of 80 and the mark for an A* last year was 56, considering you expect it to go up, I can't really see how that's possible.
Reply 25
Original post by CIEBioloysifh
40-50 marks for an A*? The exam is out of 80 and the mark for an A* last year was 56, considering you expect it to go up, I can't really see how that's possible.

As in 40-50 marks in the exam combined with double A coursework grades to get an A* in computing overall :wink:.
(edited 7 years ago)
Original post by Vyres
As in 40-50 marks in the exam combined with double A coursework grades to get an A* s

Surely that doesn't add up, 270 UMS is required for an A*, even if you got a low A* in the both coursework pieces (162) (81+81), to get an A* you would need 108 UMS which was 56 raw marks in the exam last year. If you expect it to go up, then with an A grade in both pieces of coursework, one would need a higher score to get an A* overall.
Reply 27
Surely that doesn't add up, 270 UMS is required for an A*, even if you got a low A* in the both coursework pieces (162) (81+81), to get an A* you would need 108 UMS which was 56 raw marks in the exam last year. If you expect it to go up, then with an A grade in both pieces of coursework, one would need a higher score to get an A* overall.

To be honest with you, you have a good point. I can't actually figure out how it adds up, but seeing that my teacher has been successfully predicting these grades for the past few years, I'm still confident that he knows what he's talking about.
Reply 28
i did Edexcel maths too, some peopld found the exams pretty easy, yet only a few found it hard. I think the grade boundaries are pretty high this year. Maybe a 164/165 for an A*. Meaning an 80-ish is needed for each paper.
Reply 29
Original post by Locyce
i did Edexcel maths too, some peopld found the exams pretty easy, yet only a few found it hard. I think the grade boundaries are pretty high this year. Maybe a 164/165 for an A*. Meaning an 80-ish is needed for each paper.

To be honest that's pretty fair. 82% on each paper to get the highest grade possible. Seems alright to me.
Original post by Vyres
To be honest that's pretty fair. 82% on each paper to get the highest grade possible. Seems alright to me.

What do you reckon you will need to get an A?
Reply 31
Original post by miraclemuokebe
What do you reckon you will need to get an A?

I'd think 125-128, according to some people the Edexcel Maths paper this year wasn't that bad.
(edited 7 years ago)
Original post by Anmol_.
Just wait for a few more days you will know the actual grade boundaries. No need for predictions at this point tbh

When do they come out?
Reply 33
Original post by TheNerdxP
When do they come out?

Augest 24th, around midnight.
When do they come out?

24th, different exam boards at different times. Edexcel and OCR came out @ midnight the day before A-level results day, along with WJEC.
Original post by Vyres
Augest 24th, around midnight.

Thankyou! Is there any point in looking at them though at that time? Are you given the grade boundaries in the envelope to know how far you was off the next grade for remarks?
Thankyou! Is there any point in looking at them though at that time? Are you given the grade boundaries in the envelope to know how far you was off the next grade for remarks?

This thread will be booming at midnight on the 24th with people frantically asking why the websites are crashing and where they can find the grade boundaries. I'll probably be looking; but will be too tired to truly interpret them. Up to you! It's up to your school if they put the grade boundaries in the envelope. However, I highly doubt it. Talking to your teacher for that subject or looking online would be your best options. If you're already at school, it's easier to just talk to your teacher.
Reply 37

To be honest I would look at the grade boundaries. It can be extremely reassuring for some people, and I'd 100% recommend you take a look. As for getting given the grade boundaries, that's up to some schools. Some schools would include it in a
envelope, some will stick it to the back of your envelope and some won't give them to you at all. Some schools include a sheet that will calculate how far off you were till your next grade, I know my school does this. I'm sure on the day of your results you'll be provided with the grade boundaries some how... If not, just have your phone with you so you can look up the boundaries incase you want to enquire about a remark. Good luck with your grades on Thursday. :smile:
This thread will be booming at midnight on the 24th with people frantically asking why the websites are crashing and where they can find the grade boundaries. I'll probably be looking; but will be too tired to truly interpret them. Up to you! It's up to your school if they put the grade boundaries in the envelope. However, I highly doubt it. Talking to your teacher for that subject or looking online would be your best options. If you're already at school, it's easier to just talk to your teacher.

Thankyou a lot, this helped! To be honest I think I would be too tempted not to check them anyway xD Thankyou and good luck to you too! Although I'm sure you won't need it
Thankyou a lot, this helped! To be honest I think I would be too tempted not to check them anyway xD Thankyou and good luck to you! Although I'm sure you won't need it

Good luck with your results! Hopefully, we both do well!

Quick Reply

Latest