The Student Room Group

Geography or History?

Scroll to see replies

Original post by Beth141299
It's nice to hear from someone who is in the same position :smile: Do you have any idea of what you want to be in the future? What are you other subject choices? I'll certainly let you know what I pick and I'd love to know your choice, too!

My other options are maths, economics, and law, which are all very heavy subjects which makes me unsure about whether I coupd handle history. I probably won't make my decision until after results day, I'm so bad with decisions
I would go for geography, I do it and it's great - well respected yet not overly difficult

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 22
Original post by Platopus
No problem. History did require a lot of work, I'm not going to lie. But, it didn't take over my other subjects. For me, at AS, it required more work than English lit but less work than geography, and philosophy. At A2, history required less work than philosophy, but more than English lit. Obviously, I gave up geography after AS so I can't say for certain whether history requires less work than that at A2, but unless geography gets suddenly easier between AS and A2 (which I doubt), history would still have the lighter workload.

Ah, ok. I guess everyone finds it different because some say it's more work, others say it's not so much. I'm edging towards History because I feel, generally being better at essay-based subjects, it's the safer option.

Original post by WeslshStudent101
I'd take History however I'd check what modules the course teacher has chosen, for example the first module I did was the German Reformation, and I hated every second but the modules after that were good, next year (A2) is America during the Great Depression :frown: and something else, however my coursework next year is for the American Civil War so that should be interesting. Also as mentioned above History will require a lot of work and revision to the extent I revised for that more than my other subjects put together.

Thank you! The only information I can find about it is it's different modules on Europe and America between the 1700s and 1900s so, although I don't really know what that entails, it sounds ok. What were your other subjects? My cousin did history, chemistry and biology and thought history took less work. I think it probably is very dependent on your strengths :smile:
It really depends on what the course is like. I do both, and History is by far the better subject. We do fascism in Italy, Germany, and growth of British warfare. Honestly, I didn't like the specification (I wanted to do Russia and the Tudors) but it is still such an enjoyable and fascinating subject.

History is way more content heavy than Geography. Overall, I would say History is harder, but more enjoyable, and Geography is still a difficult subject. Also, depending what course you do, if it's the new linear Edexcel Geography course, they apparently now have coursework in it, whereas they didn't before. So another thing to take into account is the specification and the modules.
Reply 24
Original post by ninapudding
It really depends on what the course is like. I do both, and History is by far the better subject. We do fascism in Italy, Germany, and growth of British warfare. Honestly, I didn't like the specification (I wanted to do Russia and the Tudors) but it is still such an enjoyable and fascinating subject.

History is way more content heavy than Geography. Overall, I would say History is harder, but more enjoyable, and Geography is still a difficult subject. Also, depending what course you do, if it's the new linear Edexcel Geography course, they apparently now have coursework in it, whereas they didn't before. So another thing to take into account is the specification and the modules.

Thank you. I think I would possibly be more interested by History, but I don't want it to take over the sciences as they are by far the most important to me. Still, if you enjoy it more, you often do better at it anyway!

Original post by IfYouCanDreamIt
My other options are maths, economics, and law, which are all very heavy subjects which makes me unsure about whether I coupd handle history. I probably won't make my decision until after results day, I'm so bad with decisions

Hm, I know Maths is supposed to be a lot of work, but I couldn't comment on either of the others. I'm the same as you - awful at making decisions and making them seem worse than they are! Unfortunately, I have to decide on results day. I'll let you know when I've decided.
Have you decided which one after results day? I've chosen history because according to my results it's my best subject:biggrin: I was so worried about whether I'd be able to handle it at a level but after looking at my results and speaking to my teacher I've decided to take it.
Reply 26
Original post by IfYouCanDreamIt
Have you decided which one after results day? I've chosen history because according to my results it's my best subject:biggrin: I was so worried about whether I'd be able to handle it at a level but after looking at my results and speaking to my teacher I've decided to take it.

SAME!! I actually did pretty equally on both, but, from previous experience, I've enjoyed History more and thought it would give me a better break from the sciences. Glad you made your decision ok in the end! Good luck for sixth form - I'd love to know how you find it :smile:
Reply 27
History, simply because of the darkness of the jokes that came out during lessons.
SAME!! I actually did pretty equally on both, but, from previous experience, I've enjoyed History more and thought it would give me a better break from the sciences. Glad you made your decision ok in the end! Good luck for sixth form - I'd love to know how you find it :smile:

Glad you managed to make your decision as well, and good luck to you too!
I would really like some help on deciding which to pick so would be grateful to hear what you do and don't like about Geography and History at A Level. Thanks very much :smile:

i would say history
NOt gonna lie their pretty similar but do what is more useful to use in a future career

Quick Reply

Latest