The Student Room Group

Asylum seekers to be offered scholarships at the University of Bristol

Scroll to see replies

Reply 80
Original post by 999tigger
Why not?

I'm not a refugee, British, living in the UK, or applying to Bristol. Universities are often very opaque when it comes to scholarships.
Original post by beautifulbigmacs
The daily express is renowned for articles designed to stir up racial hatred.

Nearly as good a job as our current asylum and immigration policies.
Original post by Josb
I'm not a refugee, British, living in the UK, or applying to Bristol. Universities are often very opaque when it comes to scholarships.

Thats feeble. have you looked to see? Why would theyh be opaque if they wnat people to apply? Dont they normally have departments dealing with fees, birsaries and scholarships or are they a secret?
Reply 83
Original post by generallee
It was a tautology for effect.

And you knew exactly what it meant...

Actually I wasn't sure until you told me it's a tautology. Language is not something I am very good at.
Misleading title - foreign students actually pay more than residents in the UK.

Your first post goes onto to say that it is asylum seekers and refugees - those who have nothing due to war and troubles in their home nation. Tbh those sorts of students are probably more likely to try and make the most of Uni since it is their single shot of a better life compared to plenty of Brutish people who are happy to "pay" thousands to just go drink their lives to oblivion - not only will their student loans be written off but the NHS will be burdened with all the alcohol-related illnesses.

:colonhash:
Original post by Wōden
You're missing the point. It doesn't matter that it's difficult and can take a long time to get refugee status. These migrants (genuine refugees or not) are still entering Europe in their masses regardless. They don't care about bureaucratic formalities, they only care that they have a (not entirely false) perception in their heads that Europe is some land of milk and honey, where the governments will just hand them everything on plate. This university is just adding to that perception, and in the long run it will just attract yet more illegal migrants into Europe, along with the myriad of problems they bring with them. I'm sure Bristol are doing this with the best of intentions, but it is still an irresponsible move, in my opinion.

Though I suppose in the grand scheme of things, especially compared to the German government's recent handling of this whole crisis, one university handing out a few scholarships probably won't make any difference at this point. The cat is already long out of the bag.

Ah, yes because you can see into the mind of every refugee and know what they are thinking :rolleyes:. Let me offer you a different perspective: perhaps they are thinking about which country will take them and and give them somewhere safe to live? The majority of them are in non-Gulf Middle Eastern countries, if you would check the stats.

Illegal immigrants can't get anything off the State and they know it. They work in jobs that pay below the minimum wage for companies that are purposefully looking to exploit them. How exactly is hearing about refugees getting free education from one university (which they definitely would not be entitled to) going to encourage them?
Reply 86
Original post by 999tigger
Thats feeble. have you looked to see? Why would theyh be opaque if they wnat people to apply? Dont they normally have departments dealing with fees, birsaries and scholarships or are they a secret?

They don't want people to see how meagre their student support is. As I have pointed above, they don't clearly say whether this is an automatic scholarship for any refugee/asylum seeker admitted, or a money pot shared between all of them. I strongly suspect that this is the latter.

Saying that "Bristol University helps refugees" sounds better than "there are three full scholarships for refugees at Bristol".

British universities always say that they have massive funding plans in order to attract as many applicants as possible, whilst if they had known how many scholarships were actually available, most wouldn't have bothered. I'm speaking from experience.
Original post by Josb
They don't want people to see how meagre their student support is. As I have pointed above, they don't clearly say whether this is an automatic scholarship for any refugee/asylum seeker admitted, or a money pot shared between all of them. I strongly suspect that this is the latter.

Saying that "Bristol University helps refugees" sounds better than "there are three full scholarships for refugees at Bristol".

British universities always say that they have massive funding plans in order to attract as many applicants as possible, whilst if they had known how many scholarships were actually available, most wouldn't have bothered. I'm speaking from experience.

So damned if they do and damned if they dont.
If the amount of scholarships are relatively few, then hardly see why people would get excited, unless ofc you read the daily Express.
Those people have lost their homes, most likely members of their family and more importantly they lost their country. Offering them a chance to be self-sufficient if they remain in this country or to have the required skills needed to build their own country if they go back home is a beautiful thing. Guess we'll always have the self-entitled people who can only see the world from their narrow point of view.
Original post by WBZ144

Illegal immigrants can't get anything off the State and they know it. They work in jobs that pay below the minimum wage for companies that are purposefully looking to exploit them. How exactly is hearing about refugees getting free education from one university (which they definitely would not be entitled to) going to encourage them?

Illegal immigrants can get a house and financial support off the state and they know it.

They simply claim asylum and wait while their cases are considered.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-33729417

If you have been following my discussion with inhuman you will know that all unaccompanied minors who seek asylum are entitled to a totally free university education presently.

However rich their parents are.

That is clearly going to "encourage" them to come. In the jargon it is a "pull factor."

And that is why it is being changed, hence these scholarships springing up.
I think this is silly, they should give them free entrance to a sixth form college or something so they can do btecs and/or a levels and get into uni like the rest of us.
Original post by AperfectBalance
But they do not need some top tier education, send them to college or something or have centers for this

Croydon College, where I did my A-levels, has a massive number of refugees. Once their done with college they might have aspirations to go to uni, why not help them? I think they should repay it if they remain in the country, but if they go back to Syria there is no way in the heavens or the earth they could afford to repay it.
Also, imagine if butthurt Americans in the 1930s complained about people like Fermi or Einstein getting free university access because they were refugees.
Original post by oShahpo
Also, imagine if butthurt Americans in the 1930s complained about people like Fermi or Einstein getting free university access because they were refugees.

Yes, because all the refugees are quantum physicists.
I can't be bothered to read through God knows how many pages of potentially OT comments so I don't know if anyone has already said this but I'll like to put in my $0.02.

I think this is a good idea in principle, and props to Bristol for doing it, however if I was a Bristol Uni student I couldn't help but feel a little bit shafted since we already get bombarded with debt and can hardly afford to live whilst studying... At the end of the day our debt doesn't all get paid back though so I guess I could deal with it. The ones who are really getting the *****y end of the stick are the international students who pay stupid fees on top of ours and don't get loans to help them out.
Original post by TercioOfParma
Yes, because all the refugees are quantum physicists.

Some of them might be. Some of them are bound to be scientists, or atleast academics. If anything its academics that are more likely to want to go to university, why is it wrong to help them?
Also, it's not migrants, it's refugees.
I am a migrant British citizen and I have to pay for my education.
Original post by oShahpo
Some of them might be. Some of them are bound to be scientists, or atleast academics. If anything its academics that are more likely to want to go to university, why is it wrong to help them?

Then the system can make exceptions for them, if they have prior academic records with them. It currently just seems to be for any old refugee.
Original post by TercioOfParma
Then the system can make exceptions for them, if they have prior academic records with them. It currently just seems to be for any old refugee.

Well I definitely agree that they should apply just like everyone else, with interviews and all that, unless the university is opening up new places just for those students. It wouldn't be fair for them to take Brit students' places just because of their background.
You might also have intelligent ones under the age of 20, so they might not have had the chance to pursue any academic careers in their life yet.
Original post by oShahpo
Well I definitely agree that they should apply just like everyone else, with interviews and all that, unless the university is opening up new places just for those students. It wouldn't be fair for them to take Brit students' places just because of their background.
You might also have intelligent ones under the age of 20, so they might not have had the chance to pursue any academic careers in their life yet.

In that case why not just make them take A levels?

Quick Reply