The Student Room Group
Students on campus at Queen Mary, University of London
Queen Mary, University Of London
London

Current QM student, AMA!

Hey scrubs, congratulations on not miserably failing your A-levels!

Feel free to shoot me any questions regarding what should be the best three years of your life ahead.

Scroll to see replies

What do you study??

What are the best societies to join?

Where is the gym in the Mile End campus?

Posted from TSR Mobile
Students on campus at Queen Mary, University of London
Queen Mary, University Of London
London

What do you study??

A= Politics, third year.

What are the best societies to join?

A= Depends on what floats your boat. However, I met all of my best friends at the Commuter's Society. The Debate Society won the best-of award last year.

Where is the gym in the Mile End campus?

A= Qmotion, an awesome gym of which I'm a sporadic member, is just near the math's building. Google it.
Thank you!

What's the best thing about queen Mary?

What do you plan to do after your degree?

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by Bloom77
Thank you!

What's the best thing about queen Mary?

What do you plan to do after your degree?

Posted from TSR Mobile

What's the best thing about queen Mary?The plethora of chicken-shops in the area. Okay, maybe not (but they are peng). From my experience it would be the people, but that is naturally subjective.

What do you plan to do after your degree?Undertake a PhD. The route towards that, whether it includes a masters or work beforehand, is contingent on circumstances.
Reply 5
Thanks for doing this!

One thing that's been bugging me as someone who lives about 50 minutes from QM:

Did u ever feel like u were missing out on the uni experience?

Have you got any tips to deal with that?
Original post by obino
Thanks for doing this!

One thing that's been bugging me as someone who lives about 50 minutes from QM:

Did u ever feel like u were missing out on the uni experience?

Thanks for doing this!

Haha, no problem!

One thing that's been bugging me as someone who lives about 50 minutes from QM: Did u ever feel like u were missing out on the uni experience?

A= Only when it comes to clubbing as, living around 40 minutes away myself, I have to catch an overground at 11.30pm. Thankfully I don't actually like clubbing and have decided that a girlfriend is more than sufficient for getting laid.

A= I spend most of my day on campus during term, usually until at least 7 or 8PM. Often later. You get to know so many people that it becomes almost impossible to not find yourself sitting next to someone you know, whether that be in the library or the Ground (coffee shop). The key is to talk to people when you first come to uni! Try the commuter's society: https://www.facebook.com/groups/QMCommuters/
(edited 7 years ago)
Reply 7
Original post by Just a Bloke
Thanks for doing this!

One thing that's been bugging me as someone who lives about 50 minutes from QM: Did u ever feel like u were missing out on the uni experience?

A= Only when it comes to clubbing as, living around 40 minutes away myself, I have to catch an overground at 11.30pm. Thankfully I don't actually like clubbing and have decided that a girlfriend is more than sufficient for getting laid.

A= I spend most of my day on campus during term, usually until at least 7 or 8PM. Often later. You get to know so many people that it becomes almost impossible to not find yourself sitting next to someone you know, whether that be in the library or the Curve (coffee shop). The key is to talk to people when you first come to uni! Try the commuter's society: https://www.facebook.com/groups/QMCommuters/

Thank you so much for this. I'm attending QM in September and will be living around 40 mins away by tube. Had a massive fight with my parents as they think I'll be missing out on the uni life, so thank you so much for helping me show them thats 100% not true. Especially as I hate clubbing. So thank you! :redface:

Also, did you have lots of morning lectures? Silly question sorry but I've heard lots of people complaining about it but I don't think it's going to be that bad :biggrin:
Original post by cmr98
Thank you so much for this. I'm attending QM in September and will be living around 40 mins away by tube. Had a massive fight with my parents as they think I'll be missing out on the uni life, so thank you so much for helping me show them thats 100% not true. Especially as I hate clubbing. So thank you! :redface:

Also, did you have lots of morning lectures? Silly question sorry but I've heard lots of people complaining about it but I don't think it's going to be that bad :biggrin:

You'll be missing out on watching your house mates' washing stack-up higher than your future, so perhaps not quite 100%.

No such thing as a silly question...okay, there is, but this isn't one.

A = Most of mine, over the two past years, have been at 10am-12. There was one horrible 9am lecture first year which I never bothered showing-up for.
(edited 7 years ago)
How often do you get holidays or does it depends on your course?
When exams finish, does the Sumer begin?

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 10
I think I can live with that :tongue: Did anyone you know take biomedical science? And if so did they make any comments on how they found it etc?

Sorry I'm so excited to start at QM! :colondollar:
Original post by Bloom77
When exams finish, does the Sumer begin?

Posted from TSR Mobile

A= It's university-standardised: http://www.qmul.ac.uk/about/calendar/

When exams finish, does the Summer begin?

A= Yep, your last exam is your last day of term. In my first year I finished in early May, this year it was something like the 12th of June!
Original post by cmr98
I think I can live with that :tongue: Did anyone you know take biomedical science? And if so did they make any comments on how they found it etc?

A= Um, my partner is a third-year Biology student but honestly I don't tend to keep track of what specific subject my science friends study. They're kind of all lumped in the same group, which is 'people likely to earn more than me'.

Don't apologise at all! You should be excited!!!
Reply 13

One more question, is there a kinda medical centre/GP service within QM like other unis have? :smile:
Did you have much free time? (first year)
Original post by cmr98

:smile:
One more question, is there a kinda medical centre/GP service within QM like other unis have?

One more question, is there a kinda medical centre/GP service within QM like other unis have

A= There is! https://www.studenthealth.qmul.ac.uk/
Original post by KINGYusuf
Did you have much free time? (first year)

Did you have much free time?

A= All of my time first year was free time, seeing that I somehow relaxed my way to a first. Second year, I had to work slightly harder for that grade but my social life was still dominant. (The last month before exam season was a grind however). Third year, I expect that to get anywhere near an A I'll have to drop any prospect of social interaction.
How was your timetable? Did you manage to meet up with your friends who do other courses?
PLEASE do not take this the wrong way. How do you find people view the status of the uni? I got A*A*M1 but was rejected by Durham after results and so got into QMUL as an insurance (for History). However, I feel other potentially more prestigious unis would still be interested in me if I applied next year. Do you find QMUL's status is high? Do you think it matters? Thanks :smile:
What are the postgrad prospects like? Do many people get in to do masters at places like Kings, UCL, Oxbridge?

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending