The Student Room Group

Alternative way into university for someone without qualifications

Hello All,

Probably a stupid question although it's rattling my brain. I am 22 and would really like to go to university. I left school with very few GCSE's as I was bullied for being too quiet and I went on to join the army as a medic. Since leaving at the very end of 2014, I have gone from job to job in the medical sector and most recently the NHS, but it isn't what I want anymore. I want to go to university and get a degree. I have a couple of GCSE's and a level 2 diploma... ouch.

I know it's more than likely near on impossible but just seeing what options are open to me. It's difficult because I know I am going to have to give up my car and where I am living but I feel it is what I need to do!

Thanks in advance

Scroll to see replies

Original post by CameronC94
Hello All,

Probably a stupid question although it's rattling my brain. I am 22 and would really like to go to university. I left school with very few GCSE's as I was bullied for being too quiet and I went on to join the army as a medic. Since leaving at the very end of 2014, I have gone from job to job in the medical sector and most recently the NHS, but it isn't what I want anymore. I want to go to university and get a degree. I have a couple of GCSE's and a level 2 diploma... ouch.

I know it's more than likely near on impossible but just seeing what options are open to me. It's difficult because I know I am going to have to give up my car and where I am living but I feel it is what I need to do!

Thanks in advance

An Access course is the way to go. It isn't my field, but you are in the right forum and there will be people here who can help you with it. Good luck.
Hello All,

Thanks in advance

There are access courses and search up foundation years.
This is your best shout, you can get funding and the course is not so intense that you cant work part time if you want to.
https://www.accesstohe.ac.uk/Pages/Default.aspx
Reply 4
Original post by Carnationlilyrose
An Access course is the way to go. It isn't my field, but you are in the right forum and there will be people here who can help you with it. Good luck.

Brill thanks, just sat here thinking is this all I get to be... I want to do something more with my life!
Reply 5
Original post by skeptical_john
This is your best shout, you can get funding and the course is not so intense that you cant work part time if you want to.
https://www.accesstohe.ac.uk/Pages/Default.aspx

Thanks mate, I heard the funding had changed so if i'm still eligible it'll definitely be something to do!
Reply 6
Take a look at the university courses you're into, research the entry criteria for those courses at different universities, attend uni open days. Once you know what you need you can take it from there!

I decided to make a change a few years ago (age 30) I redid my maths and English GCSE's and have just completed an access to healthcare course. I had to change my job as my old employer wouldn't let me reduce my hours.

I start studying for a BSc Radiotherapy and Oncology at Sheffield Hallam on the 19th September! 😀
Reply 7
Original post by Bbbear
Take a look at the university courses you're into, research the entry criteria for those courses at different universities, attend uni open days. Once you know what you need you can take it from there!

I decided to make a change a few years ago (age 30) I redid my maths and English GCSE's and have just completed an access to healthcare course. I had to change my job as my old employer wouldn't let me reduce my hours.

I start studying for a BSc Radiotherapy and Oncology at Sheffield Hallam on the 19th September! 😀

Great news and best of luck to you Bbbear! I currently work for the NHS Ambulance Service and had nothing but hell off them so I'm considering a complete change of direction.. I need the social aspect of living in halls too as working all the time has made me miss out on a massive amount of social life, so to meet new people and live with new people would be brilliant!

Thanks again for your reply and again, good luck!

Cameron
A few universities have foundation years for people with non-traditional or pre-requisite qualifications, even really prestigious ones.

Basically, you do one year of learning essay skills, maths and other stuff and then you go onto the degree! *

Durham has a foundation year - even with very competitive subjects like law. I queried it and said I only have GCSEs but x, y, and z experience in law-related job roles. The foundation centre admissions replied to say that while it's usually for international students who haven't been able to do traditionally accepted qualifications, they would consider my due to my experiences and because I'd be a mature student (we're not expected to have A-level equivalent qualifications). *

Here's their website:https://www.dur.ac.uk/foundation.centre/dpp/

*I've even seen medicine with a foundation year at UEA.*
(edited 7 years ago)
Reply 9
Original post by stratagems
A few universities have foundation years for people with non-traditional or pre-requisite qualifications, even really prestigious ones.

Basically, you do one year of learning essay skills, maths and other stuff and then you go onto the degree! *

Durham has a foundation year - even with very competitive subjects like law. I queried it and said I only have GCSEs but x, y, and z experience in law-related job roles. The foundation centre admissions replied to say that while it's usually for international students who haven't been able to do traditionally accepted qualifications, they would consider my due to my experiences and because I'd be a mature student (we're not expected to have A-level equivalent qualifications). *

Here's their website:https://www.dur.ac.uk/foundation.centre/dpp/

*I've even seen medicine with a foundation year at UEA.*

That's brilliant thanks! I am starting to feel at least a little bit more hopeful now!
Reply 10
I would contact university directly and see what they would require. Depending on your work experience and the course you're applying for, you may find that you don't need much at all. Or they may suggest some additional qualifications
Reply 11
Original post by ~Tara~
I would contact university directly and see what they would require. Depending on your work experience and the course you're applying for, you may find that you don't need much at all. Or they may suggest some additional qualifications

Thanks Tara, I'd probably have to wait until Monday to contact them wouldn't I? x
Reply 12
Thanks Tara, I'd probably have to wait until Monday to contact them wouldn't I? x

Can't imagine them working Sundays. Plus side, clearing is over with so they might be more relaxed on the phone.

I called up during clearing and passed to different staff members who had various responses to the stress they were under
That's brilliant thanks! I am starting to feel at least a little bit more hopeful now!

In all honesty, I would have done that had I not done A-Levels and gone on the Durham foundation year courses because, providing you do fine, you're guaranteed profession to the actual degree. I would have been chuffed to go to Durham (they rejected me) & wouldn't have bothered with faffing about with A-Levels and Access courses with no guarantee of a top 10 uni place!

*BUT I chose A Levels as I want to do law & magic circle law firms still want straight As at A-level. For anything that's not a traditional with a traditional profession, I wouldn't have bothered!

(For the record, I applied with one A Level at a C grade which I resat + two other subjects I was starting and got offers from UCL, Warwick & Bristol).
Original post by ~Tara~
Can't imagine them working Sundays. Plus side, clearing is over with so they might be more relaxed on the phone.

I called up during clearing and passed to different staff members who had various responses to the stress they were under

Clearing is in full swing - it actually runs up until October! This is still the busiest fortnight of the year.
Reply 15
Original post by Carnationlilyrose
Clearing is in full swing - it actually runs up until October! This is still the busiest fortnight of the year.

Oh I thought I saw something that said had to call by midday the next day. Blonde moment :smile:
Original post by ~Tara~
Oh I thought I saw something that said had to call by midday the next day. Blonde moment :smile:

If someone's been made a Clearing offer over the phone, there will be short time limits for them to respond etc, but Clearing does go on for ages. I just posted so that the OP didn't think it'd be all in the past if they rang soon and wondered why things were still a bit fraught.:smile:
Reply 17
Hello All,

Thanks in advance

- Access Course
- BTEC course
- Foundation year

Those are your choices. I personally done a BTEC, HNC Level 4 qualification because I had a strong portfolio so skipped Level 3, but any Level 3 qualification or higher will get you into university.
Reply 18
Or simply do your degree with the Open Uni. There are no entry requirements and when you graduate your degree is held in as much esteem (sometimes more) as the other universities
Are people not able to see stuck threads on phones/tablets? This thread would have answered all your questions: http://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/showthread.php?t=3401311 but people keep missing it. :eyebrow:

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending