The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Laughing so hard at the person who said Warwick is on par with UCL and KCL.

Seriously, you've killed me with that one :rofl:
Original post by Questioness
Laughing so hard at the person who said Warwick is on par with UCL and KCL.

Seriously, you've killed me with that one :rofl:

KCL's national ranking isn't very good (relative to UCL, Oxbridge, LSE). Are people ranking it based on a combination of its national and international rankings? Or are you using judgments aside from rankings, e.g. your knowledge of its reputation, personal experience?
What does your friend want to do after uni?
Original post by alexp98
Because the majority of people are not capable of getting in, instead they blame the 'location'

tbf it's Coventry. How can you not hate Coventry.

Original post by Questioness
Laughing so hard at the person who said Warwick is on par with UCL and KCL.Seriously, you've killed me with that one :rofl:

It's a great uni but jesus christ. UCL genuinely must be the most overrated Uni in the country. Every time I see someone rank UCL above or even near Imperial or Warwick i cringe.

The people I mainly see defend it in that aspect are ironically not even people that attend the uni. It's usually aspiring sixth formers who are holding offers for it.

KCL is a different story though. It's not even overrated. It's not as good as UCL, but it's not overrated either. Well not overatted by sane people at least. You're the only person I've ever seen try to imply it's near warwicks level lol
(edited 7 years ago)
Original post by greenmang0
KCL's national ranking isn't very good (relative to UCL, Oxbridge, LSE). Are people ranking it based on a combination of its national and international rankings? Or are you using judgments aside from rankings, e.g. your knowledge of its reputation, personal experience?

The national rankings aren't very good for measuring the prestige of a university. The World rankings and REF are much better for this. Only REF is an objective measure of the standard of research being done at a university.
Original post by manlike99
I'm not sure why someone would be embarrassed to be in this situation?

Neither do I.
To be honest mate non of which are Oxford. Were I you, I'd tell my friend to give up on going to uni and find an apprenticeship fixing pedalos or making balloon-animals.
Original post by lucabrasi98
tbf it's Coventry. How can you not hate Coventry.

It's a great uni but jesus christ. UCL genuinely must be the most overrated Uni in the country. Every time I see someone rank UCL above or even near Imperial or Warwick i cringe.

The people I mainly see defend it in that aspect are ironically not even people that attend the uni. It's usually aspiring sixth formers who are holding offers for it.

KCL is a different story though. It's not even overrated. It's not as good as UCL, but it's not overrated either. Well not overatted by sane people at least. You're the only person I've ever seen try to imply it's near warwicks level lol

UCL is the Oxford of London, more literature than science.
Original post by oShahpo
UCL is the Oxford of London, more literature than science.

Haha LOL. You're hilarious.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by Magic Streets
I don't think either Warwick or Manchester have a wow factor, they are too similar in standard to most universities in the Russell Group. UCL, Kings and Edinburgh are better for that.

lol UCL is on par, KCL and Edinburgh are no way close
Original post by HangeeTw

Source?

The true prestige of a university is best measured by REF (research power) and by the World rankings. The UK rankings cannot be relied upon as the methodology is so poor.
Original post by HangeeTw

Edinburgh IS better than UCL, by virtue of research.
Original post by oShahpo

UCL is the number 1 UK university by research power, and one of only 4 UK universities ranked in the top 10 of a major World ranking (QS). UCL has an annual income of over a billion, which put them in the same league as Oxbridge.

Edinburgh is also a great university, often vying with KCL for 6th spot as the next best after UCL for prestige. There is no shame in Edinburgh being slightly behind UCL, both are special universities..
Original post by oShahpo

This is not even close to being true
Reply 34
Do we really have to rank every single university, one doesn't HAVE to be better than another. There way too many factors to account for, it's no where near that black and white.
I missed my Oxford offer by 1 mark and decided not to ring, or have a remark because I would be happier at Bristol. A year on of the two friends I have that went, one is miserable and one has dropped out.
Prestige is taken way too seriously, at the end of the day go where you'll be happy, and work to your best standard.
Bristol is a way above St Andrews in world ranking, and way below in UK ranking. It's bit sad to get so hung up over it all, and care that much about how prestigious your university is.
(edited 7 years ago)
Original post by Abi790
Do we really have to rank every single university, one doesn't HAVE to be better than another. There way too many factors to account for, it's no where near that black and white.
I missed my Oxford offer by 1 mark and decided not to ring, or have a remark because I would be happier at Bristol. A year on of the two friends I have that went, one is miserable and one has dropped out.
Prestige is taken way too seriously, at the end of the day go where you'll be happy, and work to your best standard.
Bristol is a way above St Andrews in world ranking, and way below in UK ranking. It's bit sad to get so hung up over it all, and care that much about how prestigious your university is.

That's why everyone hates these warwick pretentious pri*cks.

They go on about Warwick as if the guy who discovered fire graduated from there, and think because a top university took them when Oxbridge didn't, they are better than Universities like KCL and Imperial, LOL
Okay. For the last ****ing time. No one said Warwick was ****. That thread was a disagreement about Warwick being in the same league as UCL, Imperial and LSE.

Warwick is naturally better than Manchester(except in natural sciences).
Reply 37
Original post by Vividly clear
That's why everyone hates these warwick pretentious pri*cks.

They go on about Warwick as if the guy who discovered fire graduated from there, and think because a top university took them when Oxbridge didn't, they are better than Universities like KCL and Imperial, LOL

Its all bit narrow minded and pathetic. You're better off doing electronics in Southampton than Oxford, god forbid anyone ever finds out.
Reply 38
Original post by GradeA*UnderA
Okay. For the last ****ing time. No one said Warwick was ****. That thread was a disagreement about Warwick being in the same league as UCL, Imperial and LSE.

Warwick is naturally better than Manchester(except in natural sciences).

Naturally.
Original post by Pinkberry_y
The only reason people on TSR hate Warwick is because they're still bitter they've been ejected from Oxbridge or they got rejected by Warwick itself.

Super likely given that the university gives offers to 3/4 of applicants :tongue:

Latest

Trending

Trending