The Student Room Group

How do you know if you should get back with your ex?

What are some good reasons to get back with your ex vs some poor reasons??
Depends why you broke up in the first place?
Original post by Anonymous
What are some good reasons to get back with your ex vs some poor reasons??

You shouldn't. You broke up for a reason. I'd say the only exception to that rule is if it's been several years since you split and you've been on different relationships, experienced life without the other and realise that they are the one for you.
Reply 3
Depends on why you broke up. Me and my partner broke up for a year when we were 16 and then got back together and have been together ever since for the last 7 years but we broke up for silly reasons at that age. It was a petty argument, I can't even remember what about. If we broke up due to either of us cheating or there was abuse then I would say that no one should go back if that was the cause of a break up. But if it was over something silly and time apart made you grow up and mature and you realised you still wanted to be together then that would be a good reason to get back with your ex.
Original post by Tiger Rag
Depends why you broke up in the first place?

Original post by Pinkberry_y
You shouldn't. You broke up for a reason. I'd say the only exception to that rule is if it's been several years since you split and you've been on different relationships, experienced life without the other and realise that they are the one for you.

Original post by Spock's Socks
Depends on why you broke up. Me and my partner broke up for a year when we were 16 and then got back together and have been together ever since for the last 7 years but we broke up for silly reasons at that age. It was a petty argument, I can't even remember what about. If we broke up due to either of us cheating or there was abuse then I would say that no one should go back if that was the cause of a break up. But if it was over something silly and time apart made you grow up and mature and you realised you still wanted to be together then that would be a good reason to get back with your ex.

Because I have emotional issues and it really effected the relationship especially since I never confronted them or talked about it. However I feel like I'm more well capable in dealing with them now and I know what I could change to make the relationship work such as more communication etc. Most of my friends say I should wait though and deal with them as friends before I get into the relationship again for the third time.
If issues that plagued your relationship are resolved, I don't see the harm in giving it another go. I wouldn't go down the friends route though; be clear you're looking for a reunion, and if that is not what they want then let them go.
Thank you, useful advice!

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending