The Student Room Group

Got Postgrad Diploma, where to finish MSc?

Dear all,

I already got my Bc. and failed my Masters dissertation so I will receive the Postgrad diploma award with 105 points. Any ideas/suggestions where to finish my MSc in Finance? While using my Postgrad diploma/received points to finish the MSc, quicker, possibly just completing the dissertation. (Except Open University)

The issue is that most universities do not let you start where you failed, but would rather get you to do/pay for the whole Masters program again.

Thank you for your help and suggestions.
Contact individual unis. It's the only way you'll find out what's possible.
Original post by Justhim00
Dear all,

I already got my Bc. and failed my Masters dissertation so I will receive the Postgrad diploma award with 105 points. Any ideas/suggestions where to finish my MSc in Finance? While using my Postgrad diploma/received points to finish the MSc, quicker, possibly just completing the dissertation. (Except Open University)

The issue is that most universities do not let you start where you failed, but would rather get you to do/pay for the whole Masters program again.

Thank you for your help and suggestions.

I think you've answered it yourself
Reply 3
It won't be possible. You would be asking a university to award you a Masters when you had done two-thirds of it at a different university. Your points are not transferable.

Having failed your diss, you would be unlikely to get the academic references from your first Masters uni which would recommend you for Masters study at another. I therefore doubt that even starting a new Masters from scratch is a realistic prospect.
You can't usually the modules of your new course have to map exactly onto the modules of your previous course. It's **** but what happens.
(edited 7 years ago)
What was the reason for failing the dissertation? Have you checked whether there is any opportunity to resubmit with corrections? As others have said it's unlikely you'll be able to 'top-up' a PgDip.
Reply 6
Original post by Duncan2012
What was the reason for failing the dissertation? Have you checked whether there is any opportunity to resubmit with corrections? As others have said it's unlikely you'll be able to 'top-up' a PgDip.

The diss was weak, according to my supervisor, I agree on him on some points, but of (obviously) imho i should at least get the passing grade (as big part of work was consulted with him before).

I will be probably submitting an appeal after the final decision of uni to grad me a postgrad dipl. Anyone has experience with appeals in this cases?

Thanks!
Reply 7
Original post by Justhim00
The diss was weak, according to my supervisor, I agree on him on some points, but of (obviously) imho i should at least get the passing grade (as big part of work was consulted with him before).

I will be probably submitting an appeal after the final decision of uni to grad me a postgrad dipl. Anyone has experience with appeals in this cases?

Thanks!

You cannot appeal purely because you disagree with your mark. Most unis will only permit an appeal if you think there has been some kind of procedural irregularity e.g. the marking scheme was not adhered to etc. My current uni has also recently started permitting appeals on the grounds of perceived bias where work is not marked anonymously, although I'm not sure whether this is particularly common yet.

Go through your uni's regs and get advice from your Student Union. Going purely on what you've told us, you have no grounds for appeal.
Reply 8
Original post by Klix88
You cannot appeal purely because you disagree with your mark. Most unis will only permit an appeal if you think there has been some kind of procedural irregularity e.g. the marking scheme was not adhered to etc. My current uni has also recently started permitting appeals on the grounds of perceived bias where work is not marked anonymously, although I'm not sure whether this is particularly common yet.

Go through your uni's regs and get advice from your Student Union. Going purely on what you've told us, you have no grounds for appeal.

Got it. Will check with SU first.

Thanks!

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending