Hi, I was wondering what the best universities for Computer Science are
I'm applying to
1. Cambridge/Oxford
2. Imperial
3. UCL
4. Warwick
5. Durham
Order subject to change...
I applied to (and got offers from) Cambridge, Imperial, Warwick, Bristol, Durham for Computer Science and Maths. I have a friend who independently applied to the same ones for straight Computer Science. I rank them in that order. For pure computer science I'd rate Bristol higher, I really liked their department when I visited. In the end I only chose Warwick as an insurance over them because of Warwick's reputation for maths. Also worth considering are UCL, Edinburgh, Manchester and I guess St Andrews.
(edited 7 years ago)
Reply 2
Original post by Someboady
I'm applying to
1. Cambridge/Oxford
2. Imperial
3. UCL
4. Warwick
5. Durham

I would choose Oxford because they teach Haskell in first year which is really cool, i think Cambridge sticks with Java. Durham's module options seem really boring for CompSci and personally I preferred King's to the other London colleges because they have a lot more options for cryptography and security opposed to other undergrad courses if you're into that side.
Reply 3
Original post by Someboady
I'm applying to
1. Cambridge/Oxford
2. Imperial
3. UCL
4. Warwick
5. Durham

Well MIT is #1 in the world. You could add that to your list... Or is your list only bound to UK universities? Even then you should add it on to be honest...
Original post by Vyres
Well MIT is #1 in the world. You could add that to your list... Or is your list only bound to UK universities? Even then you should add it on to be honest...

Indeed, though there was that fairly average chap who self-studied the 4 year syllabus in one year so it can't be too difficult :tongue:
Reply 5
Original post by ByronicHero
Indeed, though there was that fairly average chap who self-studied the 4 year syllabus in one year so it can't be too difficult :tongue:

Wow, that's pretty damn impressive though.
Cambridge
Imperial
UCL
Bristol
Southampton

In my humble opinion
Original post by Vyres
Wow, that's pretty damn impressive though.

Yes it is. He published his exams and coursework (all self administered) on his blog for transparency too. Have a google if it interests you :smile:
Original post by JW22
I would choose Oxford because they teach Haskell in first year which is really cool, i think Cambridge sticks with Java. Durham's module options seem really boring for CompSci and personally I preferred King's to the other London colleges because they have a lot more options for cryptography and security opposed to other undergrad courses if you're into that side.

Cambridge teaches ML, which is even more hipster than Haskell!
Reply 9
Cambridge, Imperial and Southampton

Quick Reply

Latest