The Student Room Group

How To Prep Asian (strict) Parents For GCSE Results Day 2016?

Scroll to see replies

Original post by hamza772000
Are you nervous for your results?

Like anything bruh :s-smilie:
I was msging my friend on sc about it b4, She helped a bit :h:
But I'm still worried, Obvs, but good news! After results day I get to go clothes shopping and get loadddddsssss of new clothes for college! Yayyyyyy! :biggrin:
Original post by Reachin4TheStars
Like anything bruh :s-smilie:
I was msging my friend on sc about it b4, She helped a bit :h:
But I'm still worried, Obvs, but good news! After results day I get to go clothes shopping and get loadddddsssss of new clothes for college! Yayyyyyy! :biggrin:
Me too ugh, screw you Eng Lang!!!

Me 2 but atm I don't give a flying sausage about that :redface: :tongue: Ugh Pray 4 me lol :tongue:
Original post by hamza772000
Me too ugh, screw you Eng Lang!!!

Me 2 but atm I don't give a flying sausage about that :redface: :tongue: Ugh Pray 4 me lol :tongue:

Loool :redface: lol and you pray for me yaar :wink:
So worried :colone:
Original post by Reachin4TheStars
Loool :redface: lol and you pray for me yaar :wink:
So worried :colone:
Sure :smile:
:colonhash: :tongue:
Don't tell them the grades :ahee:
Reply 25
I feel like you just spoke my mind
Honestly i am *****ing it, not because of my actual results but because of the disappointment that my mum is gonna face
I get compared to so many family members and just the arab community in general and its sooo annoying, so i know exactly how you feel
If im honest, i dont think theres much we can do about it, i think we will just have to face it on the day and allow it to die out over the following days. You could always have a sit down afew days before and tell them not to freak out and that its not the end of the world, you will do better in a-levels.
But yh, just stay strong and remember your parents do love you and they always will, they just want the best for you.
If you need any support on the day you can always hmu and we can suffer together lool
Good Luck
Original post by NeedAdvicePls
I'm worried I have failed a couple of my subjects and I know I will be disappointing my parents. They are expecting a lot from me and I can't help but think of what will happen when they find out I have to done as well as I perhaps should have (this doesn't necessarily mean its my fault, but only that they expect a LOT from me). Any advice to help my parents understand beforehand so they don't freak out when I receive my results next week? I'm aware that I am not alone with this issue so all advice is appreciated.

Just to add: The main issue for me personally is that I am compared to a lot of people in my family which puts me down the most... because if they could get all A*s then i should be too

Well I didn't get A*s and i told that to my parents for the past 3 years (so they didn't expect big on results day) and I only got A's in the subjects I loved and they were fine with that. Just do your best and remember your parents wont be with you for the rest of your life. So u need to start doing it for yourself.
Reply 27
Coming from Chinese parents, I understand your pain. However for me, my parents hope that I do well, but are not putting extraneous typical Asian pressure on me; which of course I'm so thankful for. However, because of their leniency and chillness with my grades, I feel I should repay their kindness with good grades. So in a sense, no pressure is coming from my parents, but from myself to do well and make them proud.

Nevertheless, if I do horrendously, they will beat me, we're Asian, after all.
As long as you tried your hardest I'm sure they will be proud of you
OMG I have the same exact problem, my mum and dad always compare me to kids that do better than me, heck they even compare me to the young kids on child genius.

Here are a number of ways that I myself am going to use on results day 2016:

1. Lie to them and make a fake results sheet similar to the real 1 but with better grades (this is only if I get extremely bad grades)
2. tell them I would still be accepted into the sixth form they want me to go to (my mum wants me to go to a particular sixth form and it should be easy to get into)
3. Tell them that their a bad parent and other peoples kids don't have that kind of pressure and that is why they do better
4. Lie to them that nearly 80% of your people in your year failed and you got the best grades possible there.
5. Blame it on the teachers and say that if your parents hadn't put you in this school, you could of done better at a different school because this school's teachers didnt bother

ps. I am also asian and my mum and dad want me to be a doctor and earn lots of money. Although I dont want to be a doctor, they wont be with me all my life
(edited 7 years ago)
Omg i was waiting for someone to make a thread to do with asian parents and results day 😂😂, but good luck guys im mostly scared about not making my parents proud
Have 999 on speed dial when you go and collect your results in case they do anything
Original post by Pinkberry_y
Have 999 on speed dial when you go and collect your results in case they do anything

Posted from TSR Mobile

:biggrin::biggrin::biggrin::biggrin:
Original post by Frank Peters
OMG I have the same exact problem, my mum and dad always compare me to kids that do better than me, heck they even compare me to the young kids on child genius.

Here are a number of ways that I myself am going to use on results day 2016:

1. Lie to them and make a fake results sheet similar to the real 1 but with better grades (this is only if I get extremely bad grades)
2. tell them I would still be accepted into the sixth form they want me to go to (my mum wants me to go to a particular sixth form and it should be easy to get into)
3. Tell them that their a bad parent and other peoples kids don't have that kind of pressure and that is why they do better
4. Lie to them that nearly 80% of your people in your year failed and you got the best grades possible there.
5. Blame it on the teachers and say that if your parents hadn't put you in this school, you could of done better at a different school because this school's teachers didnt bother

ps. I am also asian and my mum and dad want me to be a doctor and earn lots of money. Although I dont want to be a doctor, they wont be with me all my life

Don't let the put a lot of pressure on your career choices. You need to talk to then about your own Independence.
Original post by nuraaa
I feel like you just spoke my mind
Honestly i am *****ing it, not because of my actual results but because of the disappointment that my mum is gonna face
I get compared to so many family members and just the arab community in general and its sooo annoying, so i know exactly how you feel
If im honest, i dont think theres much we can do about it, i think we will just have to face it on the day and allow it to die out over the following days. You could always have a sit down afew days before and tell them not to freak out and that its not the end of the world, you will do better in a-levels.
But yh, just stay strong and remember your parents do love you and they always will, they just want the best for you.
If you need any support on the day you can always hmu and we can suffer together lool
Good Luck

This ^^^^^
They want the best from you, but IMO the way it is done is wrong :yep:

Original post by miraclemuokebe
As long as you tried your hardest I'm sure they will be proud of you

Posted from TSR Mobile

Nah. It's not Only Asian Parents(some), it's even seen in African parents (some).
The reason they have High expectations is because:
They just hope for a better life for you and no matter where you live in the world, right now things do not look good for many people. You will be competing in a world where the divide between rich and poor is becoming wider and not much in between. They want you to do more than just survive they want you to live a good life.*(Yahoo answer)

However, the problem is Some Parents set their standards slightly too high and punish the child (brutally) if that isn't met.
Original post by NeedAdvicePls
I'm worried I have failed a couple of my subjects and I know I will be disappointing my parents. They are expecting a lot from me and I can't help but think of what will happen when they find out I have to done as well as I perhaps should have (this doesn't necessarily mean its my fault, but only that they expect a LOT from me). Any advice to help my parents understand beforehand so they don't freak out when I receive my results next week? I'm aware that I am not alone with this issue so all advice is appreciated.

Just to add: The main issue for me personally is that I am compared to a lot of people in my family which puts me down the most... because if they could get all A*s then i should be too

Honestly, I would speak to your parents about it before results day. Voice your concerns that you think you did not do as well as you perhaps could have done, and tell them that you have been worried by the amount of pressure they are putting on you to live up to others.

Explain to them that if everyone could be a genius then the need for exams would be meaningless and that in actuality GCSE matter very little. My cousin and my older brother were always competing. He was shunned by my parents because he got an A in German but A* in everything else while my cousin got an A* in everything.

Now my brother is a final medical student in Oxford while she teaches primary children!
Original post by Freddyt58
Honestly, I would speak to your parents about it before results day. Voice your concerns that you think you did not do as well as you perhaps could have done, and tell them that you have been worried by the amount of pressure they are putting on you to live up to others.

Explain to them that if everyone could be a genius then the need for exams would be meaningless and that in actuality GCSE matter very little. My cousin and my older brother were always competing. He was shunned by my parents because he got an A in German but A* in everything else while my cousin got an A* in everything.

Now my brother is a final medical student in Oxford while she teaches primary children!

I really dont think talking to your parents would help because first of all, this would create doubts from them, and they start thinking you're a screw up and another reason why my ideas are better is because (THIS NEXT PART IS BASED COMPLETELY FROM PERSONAL EXPERIENCE) when you have strict parents, you have a formal relationship with them. I cannot go up to my parents and start talking to them about my problems, I try to bottle it up and just give them what they want and if lying to them makes them happy and think that they have a smart child, then I am going to lie to them. As Dr house puts it nicely, PEOPLE DONT CHANGE, if you think ur parents will change simply by talking to them, well you are wrong because that is the way the strict parents are.
Original post by Pinkberry_y
Tell them to get a life and stop living so vicariously through their child
like that is going to work with strict Asian parents. If you're living in their house and they're paying your bills then you have an obligation to them to try to do as well as you can in school. If you didn't do very well in school you should tell them now because they're going to find out. It's probably better coming from you then your school. Be honest with him and tell him you know you can do better and to give you another chance. Maybe tell them you need to a tutor. It's terrible having over-achieving brothers and sisters,goodluck!!
(edited 7 years ago)
Original post by Frank Peters
I really dont think talking to your parents would help because first of all, this would create doubts from them, and they start thinking you're a screw up and another reason why my ideas are better is because (THIS NEXT PART IS BASED COMPLETELY FROM PERSONAL EXPERIENCE) when you have strict parents, you have a formal relationship with them. I cannot go up to my parents and start talking to them about my problems, I try to bottle it up and just give them what they want and if lying to them makes them happy and think that they have a smart child, then I am going to lie to them. As Dr house puts it nicely, PEOPLE DONT CHANGE, if you think ur parents will change simply by talking to them, well you are wrong because that is the way the strict parents are.

If what you are saying is true then you have a very strained relationship with your parents and it doesn't sound like a sustainable living environment in the long term so getting kicked out of the house is probably best for you.

However if you truly believe that people don't change then you are sorely mistake. People often change opinions and mind sets. Some are more difficult to change than others, but all can be swayed. It is a simple fact of human nature that we are very fickle individuals.

My brother told my parents up front that he didn't think he did that well so they knew what to expect and to lower their expectations. Better a demon you know then one that surprises you.
lol you all need to relax

Quick Reply

Latest