The Student Room Group
Chemistry Research, Durham University
Durham University
Durham
Visit website

What are the chances of keeping my college? (Hatfield)

I've received my offer for my course but since I was a near-miss applicant this means my college may change. I don't want to lose it so I was wondering if it happens often to near-miss applicants

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
Was wondering the same thing ; as Durham was my insurance offer I am no longer guaranteed Grey college - will they try and keep me there during reallocation?
Chemistry Research, Durham University
Durham University
Durham
Visit website
I'm in the same situation with Hild Bede - we should hopefully find out within the next few days
Reply 3
Did they tell you that you were being reallocated? I haven't received anything from Durham since the email telling me what to do on results day should I be a near miss insurance applicant.
Reply 4
Original post by Ryanzmw
Did they tell you that you were being reallocated? I haven't received anything from Durham since the email telling me what to do on results day should I be a near miss insurance applicant.

Nah they said that it may happen since I was near miss but I was also firm
Original post by Nuttsford
I'm in the same situation with Hild Bede - we should hopefully find out within the next few days

Hild Bede is one of the biggest colleges, it should have enough space. One thing I know they try and do is to keep a good balance of all the various subjects in all the colleges.

Whatcha studying?
Reply 6
Original post by Supersaps
Hild Bede is one of the biggest colleges, it should have enough space. One thing I know they try and do is to keep a good balance of all the various subjects in all the colleges.

Whatcha studying?

Geoscience mate, honestly can't wait this next month is gonna drag. Hopefully I'll keep Hatfield because I would prefer a more traditional college
Original post by Tongeyyy
Geoscience mate, honestly can't wait this next month is gonna drag. Hopefully I'll keep Hatfield because I would prefer a more traditional college

Well, you're not the closest college to the science site which is one of the biggest factors in choosing a college. So hopefully there won't be too many Geoscientists applying to Hatfield.

Looking at the admissions statistics, it doesn't look like it's the most competitive college to get into...

APPLICATIONS: https://www.dur.ac.uk/resources/ug.admissions/admindocuments/admincycle1314/3-1CollegePreference-TotalApplications.pdf

ENTRANTS: https://www.dur.ac.uk/resources/ug.admissions/admindocuments/admincycle1314/3-3CollegeEntrants-TotalEntrants.pdf

Obviously the entrants total than the applications total but it shouldn't be too tough to scale.

SS
Reply 8
Original post by Supersaps
Well, you're not the closest college to the science site which is one of the biggest factors in choosing a college. So hopefully there won't be too many Geoscientists applying to Hatfield.

Looking at the admissions statistics, it doesn't look like it's the most competitive college to get into...

APPLICATIONS: https://www.dur.ac.uk/resources/ug.admissions/admindocuments/admincycle1314/3-1CollegePreference-TotalApplications.pdf

ENTRANTS: https://www.dur.ac.uk/resources/ug.admissions/admindocuments/admincycle1314/3-3CollegeEntrants-TotalEntrants.pdf

Obviously the entrants total than the applications total but it shouldn't be too tough to scale.

SS

Thanks man!
have you/any near miss candidates heard yet?
Reply 10
Original post by Patrick Gekko

Nope buddy

nope, but I'm doing the enrolling atm on the Durham website thingy that they sent us (yes I am amazing at explaining...sorry, I hope you know what I'm on about, it's the one they sent us the password & username for) and it said Hatfield as my address, so I'm kind of assuming they didn't change mine. at least yet.
can i enroll into Hatfield as self-catered? i just now found out its fully catered and i cant afford that....
Original post by crazy dreamer
can i enroll into Hatfield as self-catered? i just now found out its fully catered and i cant afford that....

No, you can't have self catered Hatfield. Only st cuthberts and Josephine Butler can be self catered. Sorry to be the bearer of bad news.

Also when did you receive those login details? I think a lot of people still haven't

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 14
My daughter was told she had kept Castle on results day (she was a near miss , 1 ums off the A she required in Geology) but after not getting an email from the college after seven days she phoned admissions on thursday and was told she would be in Van Mildert.

Shes really disappointed as one of the reasons she choose Durham over Imperial was being in a traditional college - she would really have been happy in any of the traditional colleges but is not really looking forward to going to van Midert and is even considering deferring,

We phoned admissions ourselves and they apologized for what happened and explained how admissions to colleges worked. I suppose the method they use is the same for everyone but from what they told me I don't consider it very fair for those people who are very near misses.
Reply 15
Have any near miss candidates heard back from a college yet? Its been over a week so Im not sure whether to email the office
Original post by Tongeyyy
Have any near miss candidates heard back from a college yet? Its been over a week so Im not sure whether to email the office

I wasn't a near-miss, but Durham was my insurance choice so wasn't guaranteed my original college. Grey have sent me a welcome pack in the week just gone though so I think I've been lucky in keeping my first choice?
Original post by Tabath
My daughter was told she had kept Castle on results day (she was a near miss , 1 ums off the A she required in Geology) but after not getting an email from the college after seven days she phoned admissions on thursday and was told she would be in Van Mildert.

Shes really disappointed as one of the reasons she choose Durham over Imperial was being in a traditional college - she would really have been happy in any of the traditional colleges but is not really looking forward to going to van Midert and is even considering deferring,

We phoned admissions ourselves and they apologized for what happened and explained how admissions to colleges worked. I suppose the method they use is the same for everyone but from what they told me I don't consider it very fair for those people who are very near misses.

has she received any emails from VM yet? and what is the college allocation process?
Reply 18
has she received any emails from VM yet? and what is the college allocation process?

Received an email from VM at weekend.. Apparently after people who make their grades are automatically allocated to their college ,any students who didn't express a colllege preference are allocated a college(all apparently by computer) -. Near misses are then lumped in with everyone else - insurance places, clearing places etc and then allocated randomly by computer(however the website does say they will do their best to try to get you into your original college.).

I have a few thoughts on this. Surely near misses ( and especially near misses who have missed by the finest of margins) who a decision has obviously been made on before A Level results day should be allocated a college before results day , before any clearing candidates and maybe before any insurance candidates. If they are trying their best to keep you in your college surely they should also be allocated before students who expressed no preference. My daughter was only allocated to VM late on last thursday - a week after she was was confirmed. As I say its the same for everyone but IMHO students who have placed Durham as their First Choice and are very near misses should get priority over at least those who've got a place through clearing or as an insurance choice.
Reply 19
Durham was my insurance choice and I was originally allocated Hatfield but after accepting my place at Durham on results day I still have not received anything from any college, is anyone else still in the same position?

Quick Reply

Latest