The Student Room Group

It's a disgrace that Britain is not welcoming the Calais refugees

These people are desperate. They are forced to live in squalid conditions, with crime and other horrid things commonplace. There are children there.

They just want the chance to enter Britain to escape violence and warfare - and yes for a better life for themselves and their families.

Why are we being so intolerant and inhumane by not welcoming them to our country which has a proud tradition of homing refugees?

Scroll to see replies

Like it or not, for better or for worse, as un-PC as it is people are afraid of the further influx of Islamic culture.
I doubt the reaction would be similar if it was the Japanese who were refugees for example
(edited 7 years ago)
why? They're only gonna sponge off benefits
If they were that desperate, they'd claim asylum in France.
What's wrong with France? You know the G8 country that they are currently in?

If it were Syrian refugees I could understand, there are millions of them, every country needs to pitch in but this is a few thousand that are already in a decent country.
Reply 5
welcome to life.
France is absolutely fine for them, no need to come here. As were the last 10 countries that they wondered through in search of benefits, oh erm I mean safety.

Also, the conditions inside the camp are unlikely to be as bad as the media are making out (an aid worker made a thread on here a little while back, said they had running water in places and free food, plus tables and beds in places - I obviously can't confirm the legitimacy of this but the place has been there for a while now so it seems likely that they'll have upgraded their comfort levels beyond a tent).
They can stay in France which is a country that's more than adequate to meet their needs.
Original post by Gwilym101
What's wrong with France? You know the G8 country that they are currently in?

If it were Syrian refugees I could understand, there are millions of them, every country needs to pitch in but this is a few thousand that are already in a decent country.

They may not speak French but speak English and they may have family and friends in the UK who they are desperate to see.
images (1).jpg OP's username
Original post by Iridocyclitis
They may not speak French but speak English and they may have family and friends in the UK who they are desperate to see.

Then they learn French. And believe it or not, the French aren't total bimbos. They're taught English at school.

Anyway if your heart bleeds for them, why don't you take a few into your own home?
Reply 11
????? What's the point of them coming over ? They're the ones along with Belgium telling us to hurry up and leave the EU. France didn't even let Turkey join the EU just cos they're muslims. No loss for Britain , we don't need french racists and bigots.
Reply 12
There are children there.

And they are raped by their fellow "refugees".
Reply 13
Original post by MrsSheldonCooper
They're taught English at school.

You don't learn English in French schools.

Original post by Plantagenet Crown
They can stay in France which is a country that's more than adequate to meet their needs.

No, no, I really think Britain is more adequate for their needs. Please take them, they are doctors, engineers, lawyers, etc.

Spoiler

These people are desperate. They are forced to live in squalid conditions, with crime and other horrid things commonplace. There are children there.

They just want the chance to enter Britain to escape violence and warfare - and yes for a better life for themselves and their families.

Why are we being so intolerant and inhumane by not welcoming them to our country which has a proud tradition of homing refugees?

I invite you to tell me what is so super dangerous and horrible about continental Europe that means they must come to the UK? Last I checked international convention would have them coming no further than Turkey, Spain, or Italy, depending on where they're coming from.

Alternatively, tell to care me what wars the following countries are in that make them unsafe: Greece, Macedonia, Bulgaria, Romania, Serbia, Croatia, Slovenia, Hungary, Slovakia, Austria, Italy, Switzerland, France, Spain, Portugal, Germany, Denmark, the Netherlands, Belgium, Luxembourg?

In other words, the main routes from the Middle East have them going through at least 8 countries that are safe, and that's after removing Turkey from the list.
We need to look at refugees as people and not just statistics. I know it's hard to think about it this way but these refugees do have feelings and I'm 99% sure they'd rather be at home and it be peaceful than have to trek halfway across the world just to be treated like a problem that won't go away.

It's easy to distance yourself from what's happening and I'm aware that that is exactly what people are doing at this moment in time and people will continue to do this as far into the future as I can see. At the end of the day though, until world leaders can get their heads out of their arses and propose real change for war struck areas we need to do more to help in my personal opinion.

It's not just an issue for mainland Europe; this is international and the last time I checked we were in fact, as Brits, part of the world.

(You don't have to like my opinion, I just feel very strongly about this and I hope everyone has a great day 😊)

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by Josb
You don't learn English in French schools.

No, no, I really think Britain is more adequate for their needs. Please take them, they are doctors, engineers, lawyers, etc.

Spoiler

Yeah you can...Depends on the school I guess. Anyway a lot of French people can speak English.
Yeah, how dare we not let in a shanty town full of criminals.
(edited 7 years ago)
Hahahaha... Funny lad!
What has Britain to do with the refugees? Shouldn't Europe be peaceful, free and safe for the people to stay there happily? OH RIGHT! It was safe before all the refugees came and started this freaking mayhem! They are not coming to the UK for their own safety! HAHAHA IDIOT! THEY WANT THE BENEFITS!
Wanna know why countries like UAE, Qatar etc. didn't allow any refugees?
THEY ARE AFRAID OF THE ISIS! You don't know those people! They are no taking any chance!
Europe took its chance and look at us now!
Reply 19
Original post by MrsSheldonCooper
Yeah you can...Depends on the school I guess. Anyway a lot of French people can speak English.

Not that much. Even our president can't.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending