The Student Room Group

LMH Oxford: Ask us anything

Scroll to see replies

Hello, I would like to ask if all sections of an application would be thoroughly reviewed before a decision is made?

I did my A Levels a year early and due to a plethora of reasons, I did not attain very satisfactory results. I am in Year 13 now, pursuing a full-load in different subjects (A Levels in one year) that are definitely more suited to me and am performing well.

This should be explained by my references and in my personal statement, though may not be - I was just wondering if my application would be, basically, discarded because my first set A Level grades do not nearly reach the threshold required? My predicted grades should be released soon, will they be taken into account with any weight?

I attend an international school overseas, so the timetable is different.
Hi LMH,

I'm international student but study in the UK. I'm intending to apply for PPE Oxford, my predicted grade is Maths (A), Chemistry (B), Politics (A) and History (A/B). I know it seems low but I'm working harder more than everyone that all my teachers can prove that in the reference. However, this is my result: Maths (B), Chemistry (C), Politics (B) and History (D), I emailed my teachers they told me not to worry and wait for exams' script, I know I'm ambitious but I'm willing to devote for PPE. Will Oxford take in consider seriously my AS result? even though me predicted grades is much better?
Thank you so much as I'm actually frustrated now.
I'm considering applying to Oxford, but I am concerned about my GCSE results. In my old school I got 1A*, 8As, 1B and a Dist* in BTEC Level 2 IT. In comparison to my peers this was quite good; I won the Boomer Cup for Top GCSE 2015 and top in Maths, Statistics, LLW and BTEC IT. Although there were a few people who had more A*s than I, as far as I'm aware, there was no one else with 9+ A/A* grades.

I just don't believe they showed what I could do though, and in my new school at AS I got AAAAA. The subjects were Maths, Physics, Software Systems Development, Biology and Further Maths (which I self-taught). All my modules were As, apart from the Physics Practical and Biology Unit 1. If I was applying to Computer Science, how likely do you think it would be that I would get an interview? I understand you can't give me a definite answer, but do you think its worth an application?
Reply 103
Original post by TiernanW
I'm considering applying to Oxford, but I am concerned about my GCSE results. In my old school I got 1A*, 8As, 1B and a Dist* in BTEC Level 2 IT. In comparison to my peers this was quite good; I won the Boomer Cup for Top GCSE 2015 and top in Maths, Statistics, LLW and BTEC IT. Although there were a few people who had more A*s than I, as far as I'm aware, there was no one else with 9+ A/A* grades.

I just don't believe they showed what I could do though, and in my new school at AS I got AAAAA. The subjects were Maths, Physics, Software Systems Development, Biology and Further Maths (which I self-taught). All my modules were As, apart from the Physics Practical and Biology Unit 1. If I was applying to Computer Science, how likely do you think it would be that I would get an interview? I understand you can't give me a definite answer, but do you think its worth an application?

The main criterion for shortlisting in Computer Science is the MAT paper, which all applicants take; the main criteria for offers are the MAT paper and interviews. GCSEs are factored into the application process, but not mechanistically, and I would encourage your new school to make comment that your GCSEs were in context good. The main point is that with a reasonably good MAT score you're likely to get an interview and show what you're capable of there. I'd suggest you have a look through some MAT papers and see what you think - note that CS students do questions 1,2,5,6,7.

PS LMH don't offer Computer Science (which is offered by about half the colleges).
Original post by RichE
The main criterion for shortlisting in Computer Science is the MAT paper, which all applicants take; the main criteria for offers are the MAT paper and interviews. GCSEs are factored into the application process, but not mechanistically, and I would encourage your new school to make comment that your GCSEs were in context good. The main point is that with a reasonably good MAT score you're likely to get an interview and show what you're capable of there. I'd suggest you have a look through some MAT papers and see what you think - note that CS students do questions 1,2,5,6,7.

PS LMH don't offer Computer Science (which is offered by about half the colleges).

Oh I wasn't aware they didn't. I hadn't looked into colleges yet. :smile:

I did look at the MAT, and I'm not going to lie, while it was challenging, I found it quite fun too. Haha. :tongue:

Thanks!
Hello LMH,

I meet my offer from Oxford, but I now wanted to take a gap year(applied for entry this year). Will it be too late if I ask my college to defer 1 year now?

Many thanks.
Original post by RichE

Actually, LMH are going to start offering Computer Science again from the up-coming admissions round.

Gavin
Reply 107
Original post by gavinlowe
Actually, LMH are going to start offering Computer Science again from the up-coming admissions round.

Gavin

You might encourage them to say as much on their own website.

http://www.lmh.ox.ac.uk/prospective-students/Undergraduates/Courses-offered.aspx

I see that the relevant changes have been made on the university site.
Hello, I just received my GCSE results which have come as 7A's and 2A*'s . I was wondering whether you think these grades would help make my application more competitive (obviously depending on my A-level results). I hope to study history at degree level and it was history that I got an A* at GCSE. It's just that I was told that Oxford does look at GCSE grades more closely than others and I was wondering whether mine are good enough....

Thanks
Original post by meganfurley
Hi
Would oxford consider applicants who have gained a place in an University but are desperate for Oxford? Some times a gap year is a bit much for some with different situations at home. If you get your A levels equivalent to offers that are given out, is it worth applying? Thanks

Hi there,

If you have already received grades equivalent to an Oxford offer (AAA for Humanities subjects, or A*AA/A*A*A for Sciences) then there is nothing to stop you from making an application - if you were successful, you would receive an unconditional offer. You would, however, have to apply for 2017 entry; submitting your UCAS form this October and attending an interview in December. Oxford does not make extra offers after its initial round in January of each year.

Hope you find this helpful!

India
Original post by Rankar549
Hello, I would like to ask if all sections of an application would be thoroughly reviewed before a decision is made?

I did my A Levels a year early and due to a plethora of reasons, I did not attain very satisfactory results. I am in Year 13 now, pursuing a full-load in different subjects (A Levels in one year) that are definitely more suited to me and am performing well.

This should be explained by my references and in my personal statement, though may not be - I was just wondering if my application would be, basically, discarded because my first set A Level grades do not nearly reach the threshold required? My predicted grades should be released soon, will they be taken into account with any weight?

I attend an international school overseas, so the timetable is different.

Hi there,

Yes - Oxford takes a very broad view of every single application it receives, including any mitigating circumstances for grades which are lower than would be typically expected. If your predicted grades (which are entered on your UCAS form) match the standard offer for your chosen subject, and the rest of your application is strong, you have nothing to lose from applying.

Hope this is helpful!

India
Original post by Pursing skiesss
Hi LMH,

I'm international student but study in the UK. I'm intending to apply for PPE Oxford, my predicted grade is Maths (A), Chemistry (B), Politics (A) and History (A/B). I know it seems low but I'm working harder more than everyone that all my teachers can prove that in the reference. However, this is my result: Maths (B), Chemistry (C), Politics (B) and History (D), I emailed my teachers they told me not to worry and wait for exams' script, I know I'm ambitious but I'm willing to devote for PPE. Will Oxford take in consider seriously my AS result? even though me predicted grades is much better?
Thank you so much as I'm actually frustrated now.

Hello!

If your predicted grades are equal to the standard offer (AAA) for PPE, then you have nothing to lose by applying. You should, however, discuss with your teachers whether it is worth resitting particular subjects or papers to improve your chance of making those grades (it would be difficult, for instance, to go from a C in AS Chemistry to an A overall). Oxford's priority is looking for academic potential, and one of the only standardised ways of measuring this in applications is through AS/A2 grades.

Hope this helps,

India
Original post by TiernanW

Hello!

Firstly, Oxford considers academic achievement in relation to an applicant's school; whilst it wouldn't count against someone if they went to a high performing school and got 10A* (although not all of our applicants do by any stretch of the imagination!), it is certainly noted if someone achieves a smaller number of A*/A in a school where that is more unusual.

You are right - the only people who would be able to tell for certain whether you would be offered an interview are our admissions tutors! Any college would, however, encourage you to apply; it is a misconception that every applicant needs to have x number of A/A* at GCSE, and your AS results would suggest that you would be on track to achieve the offer for CompSci (although you haven't put down your predicted grades).

Have a look at this page on the University Computer Science website for some more detailed information on the admissions process:
http://www.cs.ox.ac.uk/admissions/undergraduate/how_to_apply/index.html

In short, don't be too daunted to try - we can never say enough that if you have enthusiasm for the subject, and predicted grades which meet the offer, you have nothing to lose from making an application!

India

(PS - just wanted to add agreement with the very useful advice you have already received on the MAT test. Hope this helps to allay any doubts!)
(edited 7 years ago)
Original post by q9638521
Hello LMH,

I meet my offer from Oxford, but I now wanted to take a gap year(applied for entry this year). Will it be too late if I ask my college to defer 1 year now?

Many thanks.

Hi there,

Since you already have an offer from Oxford (which I am guessing isn't from LMH) I would advise you to contact your college directly to ask about their deferral policy; I do know that in some circumstances/colleges, Oxford is not as flexible as other universities when it comes to deferring entry.

India
Original post by Showdle
Hello, I just received my GCSE results which have come as 7A's and 2A*'s . I was wondering whether you think these grades would help make my application more competitive (obviously depending on my A-level results). I hope to study history at degree level and it was history that I got an A* at GCSE. It's just that I was told that Oxford does look at GCSE grades more closely than others and I was wondering whether mine are good enough....

Thanks

Hi there,

No single factor makes an application to Oxford more competitive; the university looks at every applicant as a whole person! It is true that Oxford considers GCSE results more than Cambridge (their application process hinges more closely on AS results and specific module scores), but that doesn't mean that Oxford has a "golden number" of A*s which they expect from applicants. We typically say that the average applicant has between 5-7 A* at GCSE (which is something you may have heard and been concerned by) but this means that there are successful candidates with fewer A* grades, and unsuccessful ones with more than the "average". Providing you continue working hard during your A-Levels, maintain your enthusiasm for History, and enter your A2 year on track to achieve an AAA offer, there is no reason that it wouldn't be worth you making an application. Congratulations on your GCSEs!

India
Hi there LMU,

I was wondering for admissions how important predicted grades were? For example, is someone with AAA viewed as equal to someone with A*A*A* because they are above the threshold, or is a better prediction viewed higher?

(If it helps in any way, I am considering applying for Classics with Oriental Studies)
Hi,

I was just wondering if you'd be able to tell me how important the personal statement is in the selection process for chemistry? Also, is there any increase in success rate for people applying with their grades (I have finished my A Levels)?

Thanks!
Original post by MCPClark
Hi there LMU,

I was wondering for admissions how important predicted grades were? For example, is someone with AAA viewed as equal to someone with A*A*A* because they are above the threshold, or is a better prediction viewed higher?

(If it helps in any way, I am considering applying for Classics with Oriental Studies)

Hello,

As with so many of the questions we receive about applications/parts thereof, the answer is that every candidate's profile is taken as a whole - each one is so varied that it is difficult to give or take an answer without a pinch of salt!

Broadly speaking, it is unlikely that a candidate predicted A*A*A* would be ranked above one with predicted AAA for a subject requiring that offer. Predicted grades are only a guide, and admissions tutors prioritise finding prospective students who have strong overall profiles who are likely to meet an offer - in some cases, it would be more than possible for a student with the lower predicted grades to have performed better on the admissions tests (a consideration for COS and all Classics subjects) and/or at interview, thus making them more likely to be offered a place.

So, to sum up; if you aren't predicted A*s across the board, no, it won't be detrimental to your application. Focus on making each section (personal statement, admissions test(s), submitted work - then, if offered, interviews) as strong as you can, and you will have as good a chance as any.

Hope you find this helpful,
India
Original post by notyous
Hi,

I was just wondering if you'd be able to tell me how important the personal statement is in the selection process for chemistry? Also, is there any increase in success rate for people applying with their grades (I have finished my A Levels)?

Thanks!

Hi there,

Your personal statement is very important, regardless of what subject you wish to study here! Have a look at this page of the central university website for some general advice:

http://www.ox.ac.uk/admissions/undergraduate/applying-to-oxford/ucas-application/writing-your-personal-statement

In Chemistry, as in any subject, the personal statement helps our admissions tutors to build up a picture of you, your academic attainment and potential; it can say a lot more about an applicant than a set of stellar GCSE/AS grades which are identical to hundreds of other applicants' - so it's definitely worth taking the time to make it as strong, as interesting, and as truthful as possible!

Re applying post A-Level, this does not necessarily give you a better chance of earning a place at Oxford - but if you were successful, you would have a stress-free unconditional offer (and depending on your personality, the application process may be less stressful if you know you've already met your hypothetical offer!).

Hope this helps,

India
Hi, thank you for your earlier response!

I also wanted to ask more about personal statements for joint honours subjects (I am considering Classics with Oriental Studies). How is it best to structure the personal statement to suit two subjects rather than one; is it more advised to link them together throughout or discuss them separately. Moreover, what is seen as better in a statement; more analysis of books you have read or more arbitrary points on why you love the subject?

Many thanks for all of your help!

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending