The Student Room Group

C in GCSE maths to an A in Alevel is it enough for medicine?

I went to one of the worst secondary schools while undergoing my GCSEs and ended up with only Bs and Cs. For first year of Alevels I did mostly Englishy subjects and got a BCCC. Now I restarted my alevels and I am doing maths bio and Chem. Bio&Chem do not matter at the moment since we do the exams next year but I am predicted an AA. In maths I managed to get an A for AS(despite the disbelief of my teachers). My question is will this be good enough for medicine? Bare in mind I already have the relevant work experience like shadowing a doctor etc I am mainly worried about my GCSEs 😭😭

Scroll to see replies

No, it's impossible for you to do medicine with those GCSEs, in Britain at least.
Better than the A* I got in GCSE turning to a C in AS.

CAUTION: SALT ABOUND.

Tho what you should be worried about is retaking a year.
(edited 7 years ago)
Original post by Mr Moon Man
No, it's impossible for you to do medicine with those GCSEs, in Britain at least.

Um, no? Yes you can. Focus on your A levels, and aim for universities who don't care much about GCSEs. You can do this!
Reply 4
You need to resit your GCSES. Most med schools require atleast a B in maths and sciences, the core subjects (and probably english lang).

Check each med school, but yes AAA at A2 is good enough for most med schools!! :smile:

There is always the biomed then graduate medicine route too :smile:
Original post by AnnaRainbows
Um, no? Yes you can. Focus on your A levels, and aim for universities who don't care much about GCSEs. You can do this!

All Medicine courses have GCSE requirements along with A levels

Where do you find out which medical schools place less emphasis on GCSE's?
Reply 7

Mr Moon is right - Unis especially for medicine have cut offs, they wont even look at you if you don't meet the GCSE minimums, which are most likely atleast B's in the core subjects. You are automatically rejected when you apply if you dont meet these requirements.
Usually on their websites :smile:
Usually on their websites :smile:

I suspect OP might have to retake in any case, most universities have candidates with at least 6 A*'s applying
Reply 10
Original post by soLit
Mr Moon is right - Unis especially for medicine have cut offs, they wont even look at you if you don't meet the GCSE minimums, which are most likely atleast B's in the core subjects. You are automatically rejected when you apply if you dont meet these requirements.

I have Bs in English lit and Lang and in history etc it's just maths that really sucks
Original post by Haemglobin
I went to one of the worst secondary schools while undergoing my GCSEs and ended up with only Bs and Cs. For first year of Alevels I did mostly Englishy subjects and got a BCCC. Now I restarted my alevels and I am doing maths bio and Chem. Bio&Chem do not matter at the moment since we do the exams next year but I am predicted an AA. In maths I managed to get an A for AS(despite the disbelief of my teachers). My question is will this be good enough for medicine? Bare in mind I already have the relevant work experience like shadowing a doctor etc I am mainly worried about my GCSEs 😭😭

I can't think of many places you'd be able to do medicine at. You would be studying A levels over 3 years with a weak GCSE profile along with a goal of getting AAA. I mean, you have to consider people who also get over AAA too, which makes the prospect of getting in even more difficult.

Honestly, at this point, Cambridge is the only university I can muster up in my head, but you're going to have to vastly step your game up.
Are you eligible for foundation medicine courses? Do you live in a deprived area, have your parents gone to uni etc. etc.

Getting an A in A level maths will more or less make his GCSE maths redundant. If he has shown his A level maths is A standard then I'm pretty damn sure he'd get 100% in GCSE maths. In any case med school is only interested in A levels and so long as he got GCSE maths and English at grade C that's all that matters.
Original post by Ambitious1999
Getting an A in A level maths will more or less make his GCSE maths redundant. If he has shown his A level maths is A standard then I'm pretty damn sure he'd get 100% in GCSE maths. In any case med school is only interested in A levels and so long as he got GCSE maths and English at grade C that's all that matters.

That's completely untrue, do some research.
Original post by Ambitious1999

He'd be doing the A levels over three years. That excludes him from like 80%-90% of medical schools. Also, regardless of getting an A in A level maths or not, he still must meet GCSE requirements, of which most are at least a B in maths and English.
Original post by soLit

It's true, but some unis accept C's for GCSEs, so there's still hope for some of us.
Reply 16
Original post by GradeA*UnderA
He'd be doing the A levels over three years. That excludes him from like 80%-90% of medical schools. Also, regardless of getting an A in A level maths or not, he still must mieet GCSE requirements, of which most are at least a B in maths and English.

But technically im still doing maths bio and Chem in two years.. That must count for something right? First year I did history psychology sociology and classical civilisation
(edited 7 years ago)
Original post by soLit

Ok then what about mature students who only did A levels and have no GCSEs. FE colleges allow mature students on A level courses without GCSEs and I know a few who've got into medical school and architecture school with only their A levels and relevant supportive experience but no GCSEs.
Reply 18
Original post by GradeA*UnderA
I can't think of many places you'd be able to do medicine at. You would be studying A levels over 3 years with a weak GCSE profile along with a goal of getting AAA. I mean, you have to consider people who also get over AAA too, which makes the prospect of getting in even more difficult.

Honestly, at this point, Cambridge is the only university I can muster up in my head, but you're going to have to vastly step your game up.
Are you eligible for foundation medicine courses? Do you live in a deprived area, have your parents gone to uni etc. etc.

I will check for those, I think I should be eligible
Original post by Haemglobin
I will check for those, I think I should be eligible

If you are eligible, then you have a good chance of getting in.

Quick Reply