The Student Room Group

Should I take Further Maths?

Hello. I am an aspiring theoretical physicist and I want to take: chemistry, physics and maths for AS. However, the school I am applying to requires a 4th subject. I was choosing between a humanity and biology, so I chose further maths instead.

I am relatively good at maths. I get high grades in maths and I was wondering if this is the best option for me.

Would I be better off doing a humanity? Is further maths all that hard?
Reply 1
Do further maths, if you want to do theoretical physics then definitely do it. It isn't hard and if you're good at maths it will be a doddle.
Original post by dexterminate
Hello. I am an aspiring theoretical physicist and I want to take: chemistry, physics and maths for AS. However, the school I am applying to requires a 4th subject. I was choosing between a humanity and biology, so I chose further maths instead.

I am relatively good at maths. I get high grades in maths and I was wondering if this is the best option for me.

Would I be better off doing a humanity? Is further maths all that hard?

yea further maths would be best, its interesting also. If you like maths you'll not mind doing work for it as you'll enjoy learning the stuff (as opposed to maybe disliking writing essays etc for a humanity)
Reply 3
I found Maths AS hard alone, and everyone I know who took further maths said it was super difficult (except a few who are heading to Oxbridge), and most didn't do very well despite doing amazingly in their other A Level subjects (A*s and As etc). Obviously I didn't do it so I don't know loads about it, but from what I know from my friends I would say only take it if Maths is your best subject, you're naturally extremely good at it, and you love it. Personally for an easier ride I would take a humanities subject (SO much less demanding than Sciences). I took 2 Sciences and 1 Humanities for A2 and I am so so so glad I could relax with a humanities subject as the Sciences were so demanding. Also if you don't need Further Maths for University then you might just be putting yourself through a lot of pain for a grade that you could get 10x more easily in a humanities subject (if you're good at it).
Reply 4
And if you can't handle further maths, then you probably wouldn't be able to handle theoretical physics.
Good luck.
Original post by annaj97
x

do not take this the wrong way but im sure that if someone really excels in maths then they will find maths and further maths to be the easiest alevel subjects to get an A or better in
Reply 6
Original post by DylanJ42
do not take this the wrong way but im sure that if someone really excels in maths then they will find maths and further maths to be the easiest alevel subjects to get an A or better in

Sure, I understand that. Just saying my experience of people finding it harder than they expected to in comparison to other A Levels :smile:
Original post by annaj97
Sure, I understand that. Just saying my experience of people finding it harder than they expected to in comparison to other A Levels :smile:

yea its harder than normal maths but as someone said if OP wants to do theoretical physics they should find FM easy enough.

Although I know what you mean, A* in maths doesn't mean youll get A* in further maths

Quick Reply

Latest