The Student Room Group

Anyone get bad results at AS but mint results at A2??

Scroll to see replies

Original post by minjinoor
lol thats my prob...idek
i have a place at ucl for nat sci, or the option to take a gap year and reapply for the degrees that i want but cant get through adjsutment. bc btw adjustment is not that successful, so get GOOD predicted grades from the beginning...

I see , i wish you the best of luck :smile:
Reply 201
Original post by MA1998
Your AS grades are exactly the same as the ones I got this year and I'm also doing EPQ... that means there is still a bit of chance for me to get into medicine.

Ofc there is a chance!!! I am going to medicine this year too :smile:

Message me if u need advise or help
Original post by MoonVirgo
Right.. At GCSE I got 11 A*s and was one of the top students at my school, then at AS I ended up with ABC (A in Bio, B in Geo and C in Eng Lang & Lit). I was devastated not only because of the huge drop from my performance back at GCSE but cos I was so set up for English at Oxford. It had been my dream and I spent my entire secondary school career preparing for it, and yet right there I got an E in the Lit paper because I only managed to finish half of it. It was like a slap in my face.

My head of 6th form told me to 'repeat Year 12' and said to me 'alright then now English at Oxford is dead in the water' and 'normally you should even drop English but shame that you're already only doing 3 subjects', right on the day when I was at my weakest. Then I decided to change and apply for Psychology instead and thus ignored him and carried on with Year 13. After some struggle I decided to still go for Oxford. Between Results Day last year and the day my school began, I was spending all the hours except sleeping and eating just studying and preparing for Psychology at uni. I was fueled with the sheer desire and will to rise back up from my rock bottom again and prove anyone who doubted my ability wrong. I had never thought I'd go for Psychology and so I had to catch up what a normal Oxbridge Psychology applicant would have done in like 3 to 4 years within 3 to 4 weeks. And that was the only way I could prove to people that I'm capable and deserving of a high enough prediction out of my ABC when I went back in September in order to apply to Oxford.

After I got back to school everyone was telling me not to waste a place, and teachers were advising me not to apply for unis that have offers higher than AAB. The head of 6th form was telling my English teacher not to predict me anything higher than a B. My English teacher though was the one I must thank as he said to me in the end 'I won't predict you anything less than an A. I want to show you that I believe in you.' So there I went and went for it.

And then I got an interview invite. And then an offer. And then an offer for their scholarship.

I've put in a huge amount of work and time both for the preparation for the course and for my EPQ which is subject-related (and it has expanded my mind and knowledge so much; also helped massively at my interview), and an even huger determination and effort for 'upping' my grades. A2 was hard work, resitting was too, but when I found the will, I found the power.

In the end I got 4 A*s for my A2. A* in all 3 of my subjects and an A* for my EPQ. What kicked that head of 6th form and all others who have ever doubted me in the arse the most wasn't even that I got into Oxford, having defied all odds. It was that I got full UMS in my English, while just 10 months ago my head of 6th form was saying 'don't even predict a B'. And now I'm off to read Experimental Psychology at Oxford in October. This year was my come-back, my rebound. I just want to tell you and everyone here that if you have the will, you'll keep turning 'impossible' into 'possible'.

When there's a WILL, there's a WAY. Don't ever let anybody tell you that you 'can't', most of all, don't tell yourself tell you that you can't. Find your will, prepare to be flexible and be open to changes, and always believe, and always always try, then you'll find a way. I hope my experience empowers you, and I wish you all the best. x

Love,
MoonVirgo

Wow :O congratz glad your teacher beleived in you hope mine bwleice in me

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by whydoidothis?
No i only resat maths, but I would advise to resit all of AS maths if you got the same UMS as me. My other subjects were A grades at AS.

For S1 ALL you need is the CGP revision guide for S1, its the blue one. It is all I used. Make sure you do every question in it though, and keep doing all the questions at the end of the chapter untill you get them right. The book is amazing as every question has a full solution in the answers page which really helps with stats.

If you buy the book you should have S1 to a full UMS standard in a week, as its an easy module. Obviously do all the past papers, and learn how to use your calculator properly.

I would honestly resit all three as A2 maths is alot harder, and by the time you have done C3 and C4 cores one and two seem like a doddle. Basically C1 and C2 are free UMS.

Is the CGP book really that good? I read a tiny bit of it for C3 and it really made me understand functions. Do you know if it is good for M1?
Right.. At GCSE I got 11 A*s and was one of the top students at my school, then at AS I ended up with ABC (A in Bio, B in Geo and C in Eng Lang & Lit). I was devastated not only because of the huge drop from my performance back at GCSE but cos I was so set up for English at Oxford. It had been my dream and I spent my entire secondary school career preparing for it, and yet right there I got an E in the Lit paper because I only managed to finish half of it. It was like a slap in my face.

My head of 6th form told me to 'repeat Year 12' and said to me 'alright then now English at Oxford is dead in the water' and 'normally you should even drop English but shame that you're already only doing 3 subjects', right on the day when I was at my weakest. Then I decided to change and apply for Psychology instead and thus ignored him and carried on with Year 13. After some struggle I decided to still go for Oxford. Between Results Day last year and the day my school began, I was spending all the hours except sleeping and eating just studying and preparing for Psychology at uni. I was fueled with the sheer desire and will to rise back up from my rock bottom again and prove anyone who doubted my ability wrong. I had never thought I'd go for Psychology and so I had to catch up what a normal Oxbridge Psychology applicant would have done in like 3 to 4 years within 3 to 4 weeks. And that was the only way I could prove to people that I'm capable and deserving of a high enough prediction out of my ABC when I went back in September in order to apply to Oxford.

After I got back to school everyone was telling me not to waste a place, and teachers were advising me not to apply for unis that have offers higher than AAB. The head of 6th form was telling my English teacher not to predict me anything higher than a B. My English teacher though was the one I must thank as he said to me in the end 'I won't predict you anything less than an A. I want to show you that I believe in you.' So there I went and went for it.

And then I got an interview invite. And then an offer. And then an offer for their scholarship.

I've put in a huge amount of work and time both for the preparation for the course and for my EPQ which is subject-related (and it has expanded my mind and knowledge so much; also helped massively at my interview), and an even huger determination and effort for 'upping' my grades. A2 was hard work, resitting was too, but when I found the will, I found the power.

In the end I got 4 A*s for my A2. A* in all 3 of my subjects and an A* for my EPQ. What kicked that head of 6th form and all others who have ever doubted me in the arse the most wasn't even that I got into Oxford, having defied all odds. It was that I got full UMS in my English, while just 10 months ago my head of 6th form was saying 'don't even predict a B'. And now I'm off to read Experimental Psychology at Oxford in October. This year was my come-back, my rebound. I just want to tell you and everyone here that if you have the will, you'll keep turning 'impossible' into 'possible'.

When there's a WILL, there's a WAY. Don't ever let anybody tell you that you 'can't', most of all, don't let yourself tell you that you can't. Find your will, prepare to be flexible and be open to changes, and always believe, and always always try, then you'll find a way. I hope my experience empowers you, and I wish you all the best. x

Love,
MoonVirgo

How did you apply to oxford with ABC ? Also do you have any tips on writing personal statement. also congratulatons on getting into oxford thats amazing
Original post by geography1294
Is it possible for me to do well with 4 AS resits ( C1,C2,S1) and one geography module?
I need an A in maths and got a C

I think you can but you are really going to have to work hard to cope with both the AS and A2 content. I myself am going to resit 2 maths modules :P
Original post by Dynamic_Vicz
I think you can but you are really going to have to work hard to cope with both the AS and A2 content. I myself am going to resit 2 maths modules :P

We have nearly completed c3 already so Im hoping I have time
Friend got DDEE last year, got BBDD this year (electronics, physics, maths, computing)
We have nearly completed c3 already so Im hoping I have time

We? Your class?
Original post by Bobjim12
Friend got DDEE last year, got BBDD this year (electronics, physics, maths, computing)
Did you get a course at uni?
Original post by Dynamic_Vicz
Did you get a course at uni?

Well I did, as did my friend
these things are the best.

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/A2-Level-Maths-for-AQA-Core-3-Student-Book-Paperback-CGP-Bo-9781847628046-/361453982635?hash=item54285613ab:g:OwkAAOSw0JpV4uvX

For stats this and past papers, and for cores one and two this is all you need.

For core four and three the books are very good however I would do some harder questions, like from the big hienemann books
Did very bad for AS taking a risk by continuing to A2. This gives me hope
Reply 213
Is the CGP book really that good? I read a tiny bit of it for C3 and it really made me understand functions. Do you know if it is good for M1?

Posted from TSR Mobile

If you're AQA maths you should use Jack brown on YouTube. You can literally ignore your teacher for a whole year and you'll secure an A
Reply 214
Original post by rhoxc
Posted from TSR Mobile

If you're AQA maths you should use Jack brown on YouTube. You can literally ignore your teacher for a whole year and you'll secure an A

Posted from TSR Mobile

He may also do other exam boards not sure
I got CDEE in maths, economics, geography and PE respectively last year. I resat all of economics, 1 unit in maths and 1 unit in geography.
My results this year were ABB in economics, maths and geography respectively (79% UMS in maths too). Good luck for the next year, make sure to use any help your teachers give you in terms of support classes or advice.
I know two friends who did terribly at AS but got into amazing unis.

One of them got UUUU because she had a bf, retook Year 12 and got A*AA.

Other one got UUUU because of panic attacks during exams, retook Year 12 and got A*A*A and is now off to Cambridge in October!

When there's a WILL, there's a WAY. Don't ever let anybody tell you that you 'can't', most of all, don't let yourself tell you that you can't. Find your will, prepare to be flexible and be open to changes, and always believe, and always always try, then you'll find a way. I hope my experience empowers you, and I wish you all the best. x

Love,
MoonVirgo

this is actually the most inspiring thing i've ever read, you have given me so much motivation,thank you!
Reply 218

Love,
MoonVirgo

Thank you for this post, it cheered me up especially since I've been feeling really down lately, this has motivated me as i really didn't know how i could go into A2 and continue working hard knowing that i had worked really hard in yr12. This post means a lot.. thank you
Original post by 543216789
this is actually the most inspiring thing i've ever read, you have given me so much motivation,thank you!

You're very welcome x Never lose faith in anything!

Quick Reply

Latest