Scroll to see replies

Also for the Maths A vs B fence sitters:

Spoiler

Original post by WhisperingTide
Physics
Materials.
Chemistry/Computer Science.
I can't decide which one. :O

I also wanna try my hand at Maths B, since I can already do a lot of the online Maths A past papers. :biggrin:

I heard you get grade against actual compsci people...

Original post by Joshthemathmo
What modules are you looking at taking? I'm thinking Chemistry, Physics, Maths B and materials or earth sciences (not too sure about this one)

Same as you... Probably materials but considering bio of cells too. Haven't considered deeply yet though
Original post by Protoxylic
Also for the Maths A vs B fence sitters:

Spoiler

A CompSci I met on an open day suggested self-teaching FP3 for people who want to do Maths B. Do you think that would be useful, or are the pre-term maths courses that some (all?) colleges do new things with the aim of getting everyone up to speed? (Not really asking for myself, as I'm doing CompSci w. Maths, barring any sudden changes of heart).
Original post by sweeneyrod
A CompSci I met on an open day suggested self-teaching FP3 for people who want to do Maths B. Do you think that would be useful, or are the pre-term maths courses that some (all?) colleges do new things with the aim of getting everyone up to speed? (Not really asking for myself, as I'm doing CompSci w. Maths, barring any sudden changes of heart).

Hmm, if you didn't take FP3 it may be a good idea to get that in your head before you arrive yeah.

I didn't attend any pre-term maths courses so I wouldn't know what would be taught in those classes.

Within Maths B, the lecturers do respect that all the people have come across most of the material they teach so sometimes students email in asking to go faster. A-Level concepts aren't necessarily taught, they're just respected, introduced, assumed to be known and move on (first term is kind of slow). So it may be useful for your friend to at least look up and get familiar with the material in FP3, although not necessary.
Anyone else here going to girton?
I can't believe I got in!! Is anyone else going to St catharines or doing Law??
Original post by Duke Glacia
What's the cheapest way to buy paper pens etc ?

Posted from TSR Mobile

I buy pens, pencils, notebooks, large lever arch files etc from supermarkets (Tesco, Sainsburys etc) and maybe when you arrive in Cambridge they'll still have the school/uni events on with the sales.

Refill pads I've bought from Rymans: 300 pages of decent quality paper for 99p rn (again, I hope it's still on that price when you arrive)

Everything else, plastic wallets, plastic popper folders and some medium sized storage cases for various things I got from a shop called The Works (there's one in Cambridge, The Grafton centre, thankfully!) and they're very cheap and durable!

I'd say everything altogether has cost me about £50. Aside from some basic black pens, I'm sorted on the stationery front now!
Original post by Serine Soul
I buy pens, pencils, notebooks, large lever arch files etc from supermarkets (Tesco, Sainsburys etc) and maybe when you arrive in Cambridge they'll still have the school/uni events on with the sales.

Refill pads I've bought from Rymans: 300 pages of decent quality paper for 99p rn (again, I hope it's still on that price when you arrive)

Everything else, plastic wallets, plastic popper folders and some medium sized storage cases for various things I got from a shop called The Works (there's one in Cambridge, The Grafton centre, thankfully!) and they're very cheap and durable!

I'd say everything altogether has cost me about £50. Aside from some basic black pens, I'm sorted on the stationery front now!

The Grafton Centre seems to be a good place to go when you want cheap stuff, not just stationery but clothing, etc. And if you're desparate for junk foods, the area around Grafton is the place to go. . :biggrin:
Pity it's a bit away from the area where the university's facilities are.....and is very close to Anglia Ruskin .....:tongue:

Edit: and if you're in need of a good, reliable alteration tailor (before May Balls?), there's a very good one very close to Grafton.
My daughter bought a cheap evening dress from TK Maxx online for May Balls which was a bit too long for her and had altered beautifully by them.
(edited 7 years ago)
Original post by vincrows
The Grafton Centre seems to be a good place to go when you want cheap stuff, not just stationery but clothing, etc. And if you're disparate for junk foods, the area around Grafton is the place to go. . :biggrin:
Pity it's a bit away from the area where the university's facilities are.....and is very close to Anglia Ruskin .....:tongue:

Yeah, I was looking through the list of shops at the grafton centre and found many of the ones I'm used to lol. Then I looked at shops in the grand arcade and found so many I had never even heard of before :indiff:
Anybody know what the plan for Medicine lectures is this year? I read somewhere that the ones held at Lady Mitchell Hall (Sidgwick) were being moved to New Museums/Downing Site, but not sure if this is true. It might influence whether or not I need a bike (since should be at Magdalene).

Posted from TSR Mobile
Yeah, I was looking through the list of shops at the grafton centre and found many of the ones I'm used to lol. Then I looked at shops in the grand arcade and found so many I had never even heard of before :indiff:

Grand Archade is a posh(-ish) shopping mall. But if you want a nice and reasonably priced trainers, they have Sports Direct there.
And TK Maxx in Cambridge is quite good and they're in the town centre. :smile:

If you manage to get a few people to share a cab (or ask your uncle!!), there's a couple of retail parks outside the town centre with good discount shops, too.
(edited 7 years ago)
Does anybody know how accomodation a King's work? They said that they have a 35 week lease (instead of the 29 week) (quote) "35 week lease (running from October to June minus 2-3 weeks over Christmas)." - does that mean I'll be booted out over Christmas??? Do internationals get special priority for getting these 35 week leases in all three years?
Reply 172
Are there any specific rules regarding students having visitors during the year? For instance if a family member or a friend came over would they be able to sleep in the students room or would they have to pay for a hotel in the town?
Original post by KingRS
Are there any specific rules regarding students having visitors during the year? For instance if a family member or a friend came over would they be able to sleep in the students room or would they have to pay for a hotel in the town?

The formal rule says you have to report to the college if someone who is not a member of the college (even a member of other Cambridge college) is planning to stay in your room, but in reality nobody does.
But if your guest is obviously not a student (like your parents) eating breakfast/dinner in a dining hall, they might be questioned.

All colleges have guest rooms for non-members to stay, if they'd rather not stay in a hotel. Guest rooms are much nicer than student's rooms and usually cheaper than most of town centre hotels. You can book a room for them as a member of the college.

We've never done it ourselves when our daughter was at college as we live within one hour drive from the university, but my brother/sister in law did several times when their daughter was there, and they said it was quite nice to be able to stay in the college, rather than a hotel. ( though he was a Cambridge student himself donkey's ears ago)
(edited 7 years ago)
Original post by WhisperingTide
Sweet! Any idea what modules you're taking? :smile: I wanna take them all! :O

Same!!
Aha I'm definitely taking Physics, Materials and Maths and I think I might want to do a biological option like Physiology as my fourth one :biggrin: I wasn't going to but then A level results happened XD
@Protoxylic your posts have actually been so helpful thank you so so much! :smile:
How convenient that my birthday is just a week before I go there - I can ask my friends and family to buy me useful uni stuff as birthday presents! :lol:
How convenient that my birthday is just a week before I go there - I can ask my friends and family to buy me useful uni stuff as birthday presents! :lol:

My birthday is a week before too! Good idea 😊

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by Medic_12345
My birthday is a week before too! Good idea 😊

Posted from TSR Mobile

XXIII?
XXIII?

26th 🙈

Posted from TSR Mobile

Quick Reply

Latest