The Student Room Group

Asylum seekers to be offered scholarships at the University of Bristol

Scroll to see replies

can't they just get loaned the money like the rest of us? why should a refugee get special treatment over people who have paid taxes in the UK all their lives? of course it is sad that they have been displaced, but would i expect free tuition if i turned up in syria if people there were incurring tens of thousands of debt? of course not!
Original post by TercioOfParma
In that case why not just make them take A levels?

As I said from my experience at Croydon College, there were lots of refugees that were doing BTECs and A-Levels. So that is indeed what's happening, Bristol just made a financial exception for those students.
Original post by generallee
Illegal immigrants can get a house and financial support off the state and they know it.

They simply claim asylum and wait while their cases are considered.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-33729417

If you have been following my discussion with inhuman you will know that all unaccompanied minors who seek asylum are entitled to a totally free university education presently.

However rich their parents are.

That is clearly going to "encourage" them to come. In the jargon it is a "pull factor."

And that is why it is being changed, hence these scholarships springing up.

Yet you take for granted just how difficult it is to gain refugee status in the UK. As I have stated earlier, many asylum seekers take years, even decades before their applications are accepted. Some end up getting deported once their application is rejected, it's not the cushty life that you're painting it to be. And if the State knows that they're here, they are not "illegal immigrants".

Ah yes, "unaccompanied minors". What is it with scapegoating a group that makes up a minority of refugees anyway (or at least did until recently, due to the Syrian civil war)? The fact of the matter is that most refugees cannot get help to fund their studies, and it's sickening to see people who were brought up in an environment that surrounded them with privilege and opportunity crying about the less fortunate getting a few scholarships from a single university.
Excellent news - all other universities should follow suit not just Bristol!
Original post by WBZ144
Yet you take for granted just how difficult it is to gain refugee status in the UK. As I have stated earlier, many asylum seekers take years, even decades before their applications are accepted. Some end up getting deported once their application is rejected, it's not the cushty life that you're painting it to be. And if the State knows that they're here, they are not "illegal immigrants".

Even if their asylum claims are rejected they often can't be deported.

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/uknews/immigration/12183475/Asylum-seekers-arriving-in-Europe-doubled-to-1.2-million-last-year.html

They usually destroy any identity papers, passports etc before making their claims. Then they can pretend to be from somewhere they are not.

And it is pretty cushty compared to the third world $hit holes they have escaped from. That is why they are here. After all, if our taxpayer funded welcome doesn't please them they could always leave. It is not as though they didn't prove themselves capable of trans national mobility by getting here in the first place. The fact they don't, but instead keep taking the handouts says it all.

Original post by WBZ144

Ah yes, "unaccompanied minors". What is it with scapegoating a group that makes up a minority of refugees anyway (or at least did until recently, due to the Syrian civil war)? The fact of the matter is that most refugees cannot get help to fund their studies, and it's sickening to see people who were brought up in an environment that surrounded them with privilege and opportunity crying about the less fortunate getting a few scholarships from a single university.

They haven't been "scapegoated" as you put it, they have been given somewhere to live, food and spending money, a free education and free health care. Who wouldn't want to come from a poor country to live here? Do you think they like the weather or something?

And their lives are not at risk, because they have passed through safe countries to get here. They are here for the money.

The biggest iniquity, though, is that up till now, having completely supported them till adulthood (actually many are much older but lie about their age) the British tax payer has funded their tuition fees and living costs at university. Unlike the children of those tax payers (in England) who of course have to pay.

Do you think that changing this policy so they don't get a totally free university education is "scapegoating" them?

Seriously?

Do you pay any tax yourself can I ask? Or does some bizarre sense of entitlement lead you to think that you can advocate that others pay for these illegal immigrants on your behalf?

Let me tell you, most tax payers are incensed when they they hear stories like this. And that is why the policy is being changed.
Even if their asylum claims are rejected they often can't be deported.

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/uknews/immigration/12183475/Asylum-seekers-arriving-in-Europe-doubled-to-1.2-million-last-year.html

They usually destroy any identity papers, passports etc before making their claims. Then they can pretend to be from somewhere they are not.

And it is pretty cushty compared to the third world $hit holes they have escaped from. That is why they are here. After all, if our taxpayer funded welcome doesn't please them they could always leave. It is not as though they didn't prove themselves capable of trans national mobility by getting here in the first place. The fact they don't, but instead keep taking the handouts says it all.

They haven't been "scapegoated" as you put it, they have been given somewhere to live, food and spending money, a free education and free health care. Who wouldn't want to come from a poor country to live here? Do you think they like the weather or something?

And their lives are not at risk, because they have passed through safe countries to get here. They are here for the money.

The biggest iniquity, though, is that up till now, having completely supported them till adulthood (actually many are much older but lie about their age) the British tax payer has funded their tuition fees and living costs at university. Unlike the children of those tax payers (in England) who of course have to pay.

Do you think that changing this policy so they don't get a totally free university education is "scapegoating" them?

Seriously?

Do you pay any tax yourself can I ask? Or does some bizarre sense of entitlement lead you to think that you can advocate that others pay for these illegal immigrants on your behalf?

Let me tell you, most tax payers are incensed when they they hear stories like this. And that is why the policy is being changed.

I think that b****ing and moaning about them constantly, blaming them for all of your and this country's problems vilifying and demonising them, painting them as greedy people who are after the "riches" when many are escaping war and several other horrible situations is scapegoating them, I though that was clear.Some people do love their countries but simply cannot live there, because it's no longer safe. In fact, those who can afford to flee their countries to Europe are usually educated and middle class, not the paupers you are painting them to be. If they were looking for the best living standards possible, North America or Scandinavia would be more appropriate locations than the UK.

Safe countries that probably won't keep them. The majority are in smaller Middle Eastern, non-Gulf countries, according to stats. There are only so many refugees that these countries can take though.

I have paid tax (before starting my masters), quite a lot of it, I am also in debt from student loans. Was it my DP that led you to the assumption that I have not? How much tax do you yourself pay?

Is paying tax supposed to make one numb to the suffering of others? Is it supposed to make you selfish and feeling entitled to charity handouts, despite that you have had a chance at a good life and a good chance at education since birth? None of my family members are like this either and they all get taxed heavily or are studying on student loans.

Each individual case is different. If it is a case of someone who is in no danger, someone who can work but cheats the system, tax dodgers or a family living in Buckingham Palace and in luxury at the expense of the taxpayer because they were entitled to do so from birth then I can understand the outrage. To lump all refugees together are people looking to scrounge benefits, on the other hand is distasteful at best.

And since the policy is being changed, shouldn't that be enough for you? Why are people in turn attacking Bristol University for offering refugees a few scholarships?
(edited 7 years ago)
Original post by inhuman
I don't really care tbh.

But I would like to know what "morally unconscionable" means.

It means 'unconscionable'.
Original post by oShahpo
Also, imagine if butthurt Americans in the 1930s complained about people like Fermi or Einstein getting free university access because they were refugees.

But then they should not be getting Free education Because they are forigners, but because they are smart
Original post by AperfectBalance
But then they should not be getting Free education Because they are forigners, but because they are smart

They're not getting free education because they're foreigners, but because they have lost their homes and their country *talking about genuine refugees that the UK offered to house*.
Reply 109
So what Universities are now private businesses they can choose who to give free education to
Original post by oShahpo
They're not getting free education because they're foreigners, but because they have lost their homes and their country *talking about genuine refugees that the UK offered to house*.

Ok then, they should not be getting free Education because
they have lost their homes and their country *talking about genuine refugees that the UK offered to house

but because they are good at what they do or have great potential
Ok then, they should not be getting free Education because
they have lost their homes and their country *talking about genuine refugees that the UK offered to house

but because they are good at what they do or have great potential

Of course they will have great potential, otherwise they wouldn't even make it past the initial admissions stage. They still have to achieve certain grades(or equivalent). People on this thread seem to be under the impression that the refugees being offered this scholarship are going to be recent ones from the migrant crisis, which isn't necessarily the case. The UK has refugees and asylum seekers who have been living here for numerous years and attended sixth form etc..
Original post by teenhorrorstory
Of course they will have great potential, otherwise they wouldn't even make it past the initial admissions stage. They still have to achieve certain grades(or equivalent). People on this thread seem to be under the impression that the refugees being offered this scholarship are going to be recent ones from the migrant crisis, which isn't necessarily the case. The UK has refugees and asylum seekers who have been living here for numerous years and attended sixth form etc..

But it should be priority for British students of the same caliber
But it should be priority for British students of the same caliber

Why? Because British students have been surrounded by opportunities that they don't have? Because British students are all entitled to funding from the SLC whereas many refugees can't?

This is so silly, I can't believe that some people are making so much noise about a few underprivileged people getting opportunities to get degrees just because they are foreign. What about the Scottish students who get their degrees funded? Are English students complaining about them? Shouldn't have voted for a political party that almost tripled the tuition fees.
What a nonsense of a thread aimed at perpetuating your own victimhood complex with baseless assertions and snappy headlines from the express...

I'm not sure how many people actually read the article, and looked at the "scheme"... here's the link: http://www.bristol.ac.uk/fees-funding/awards/sanctuary-scholarship/

You'll quickly find that it is, in fact, a scholarship ( not a "free degree" ). Scholarships are mainly a bribing tool for universities to get the best and brightest people. There are scholarships for many things for e.g. commonwealth scholarship, sports scholarship, music scholarship, scholarship for people from a certain country/ethnicity, disability scholarship etc etc. You may as well moan about how them goddamn organists or disable students get free degrees whilst everyone else have to pay!

We don't know how this scholarship is funded (usually many of them are also privately funded from companies, individuals, trust funds, NGOs etc), and more importantly we don't know how many people actually get them (again, looking at most scholarships, they are usually given to only a handful of students picked after rigorous screenings and interviews). If you are that bothered to be triggered by this, you could always do a bit of research (something you will definitely not get from The Express) and ask Bristol these questions by directly emailing or freedom of information requests.

So, if you are triggered by this and still want to perpetuate your own victim complex by abusing a non-issue... here's the world's smallest violin

[video="youtube;XdofmoYcJNE"]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XdofmoYcJNE[/video]

edit: the people who are triggered by this are usually the type of people who wouldn't want free tuition... how ironic.
Stop reading express headlines and getting triggered by it...
(edited 7 years ago)
the daily express's use of sources is beyond laughable

it preached that ISIS and the IRA were working together based on a UKIP MP's suggestion
Original post by WBZ144
Bristol Uni can't force Student Finance to fund refugees, as they are not (like I said) a government institution. Since they are not willing to do this in most cases, the university is offering the refugees an alternative.

If you are eligible for Student Finance and don't have to worry about funding your education, it's easy to criticise this scholarship.

I'm not saying they *are* eligible, I'm saying rather than throwing free money at them - when our own students are struggling enough - we should make them pay loans, too. They *should* be eligible.

I don't like it. Give all British students a scholarship first, then let's worry about the rest of the world....
Original post by WBZ144
I think that b****ing and moaning about them constantly, blaming them for all of your and this country's problems vilifying and demonising them, painting them as greedy people who are after the "riches" when many are escaping war and several other horrible situations is scapegoating them, I though that was clear.

The only one bit$hing and moaning is you.

I don't want any more refugees/economic immigrants admitted to the UK.

And we need to start rounding up and deporting the hundreds of thousands of illegal immigrants and failed asylum seekers.

That's it, end of. And most of my fellow countrymen and women agree, check out the opinion polling if you don't believe me.

Original post by WBZ144
Some people do love their countries but simply cannot live there, because it's no longer safe. In fact, those who can afford to flee their countries to Europe are usually educated and middle class, not the paupers you are painting them to be. If they were looking for the best living standards possible, North America or Scandinavia would be more appropriate locations than the UK.

Not our problem.

The US doesn't want them on security grounds. Very sensible of them.

Sweden has been insane to admit so many...

http://www.bloomberg.com/news/articles/2016-03-17/sweden-s-refugee-costs-will-top-defense-spending-in-2016-chart

Ad so have Germany...

https://www.rt.com/news/341233-refugee-crisis-germany-billion/

By the way, if these illegal immigrants/refugees are so rich and educated why do they need the British taxpayer to totally support them?

Original post by WBZ144
Safe countries that probably won't keep them. The majority are in smaller Middle Eastern, non-Gulf countries, according to stats. There are only so many refugees that these countries can take though.

They need to stay close to their home countries and then when the war ends (which it will) go back and rebuild them.If they love their homelands so much (and they are not just looking for a golden ticket to the west) that is what they will want to do, anyway

Original post by WBZ144

I have paid tax (before starting my masters), quite a lot of it,

Good for you. Of course that doesn't give you the right to decide how anyone else's tax is spent, does it?

The majority of tax payers don't want to support tens (hundreds?) of thousands of "refugees" so the new post Brexit government dare not allow more in than those already agreed by Cameron.. Deal with it.

Original post by WBZ144
Is paying tax supposed to make one numb to the suffering of others? Is it supposed to make you selfish and feeling entitled to charity handouts, despite that you have had a chance at a good life and a good chance at education since birth?

Yawn. Nauseating lefty virtue signalling at its worst.

Emoting on a web site doesn't demonstrate that you care.

How much do you give to refugee charities? What do you actually DO to help?

Original post by WBZ144
To lump all refugees together are people looking to scrounge benefits, on the other hand is distasteful at best.

Confected outrage.

Original post by WBZ144
And since the policy is being changed, shouldn't that be enough for you? Why are people in turn attacking Bristol University for offering refugees a few scholarships?

I don't have a problem with Bristol University offering scholarships to existing "refugees" (as long as they aren't actually illegal immigrants).I just say we don't take any more. And we start getting serious about kicking out illegals.

Trust me that is the way this country is going. The way the whole of Europe is headed.

The whole continent has had it with "refugees." If the politicians don't get a grip, it will get very very ugly.
Original post by 1010marina
I'm not saying they *are* eligible, I'm saying rather than throwing free money at them - when our own students are struggling enough - we should make them pay loans, too. They *should* be eligible.

I don't like it. Give all British students a scholarship first, then let's worry about the rest of the world....

Well, in the meantime this is one of their only shots until the SLC changes its policies (if ever). It's absolutely fair, as we can easily get funding for our studies and they can't. People with certain disabilities get scholarships as well because like these refugees, they are at a disadvantage. I am not going to be entitled enough to complain and claim that I am more deserving, despite the fact that there was already a good system in place to give me all the funding I needed.

I have had a very small, unnoticeable portion of my salary deducted by Student Finance. It cause me to struggle at all, it was barely anything.
(edited 7 years ago)
The only one bit$hing and moaning is you.

I don't want any more refugees/economic immigrants admitted to the UK.

And we need to start rounding up and deporting the hundreds of thousands of illegal immigrants and failed asylum seekers.

That's it, end of. And most of my fellow countrymen and women agree, check out the opinion polling if you don't believe me.

Not our problem.

The US doesn't want them on security grounds. Very sensible of them.

Sweden has been insane to admit so many...

http://www.bloomberg.com/news/articles/2016-03-17/sweden-s-refugee-costs-will-top-defense-spending-in-2016-chart

Ad so have Germany...

https://www.rt.com/news/341233-refugee-crisis-germany-billion/

By the way, if these illegal immigrants/refugees are so rich and educated why do they need the British taxpayer to totally support them?

They need to stay close to their home countries and then when the war ends (which it will) go back and rebuild them.If they love their homelands so much (and they are not just looking for a golden ticket to the west) that is what they will want to do, anyway

Good for you. Of course that doesn't give you the right to decide how anyone else's tax is spent, does it?

The majority of tax payers don't want to support tens (hundreds?) of thousands of "refugees" so the new post Brexit government dare not allow more in than those already agreed by Cameron.. Deal with it.

Yawn. Nauseating lefty virtue signalling at its worst.

Emoting on a web site doesn't demonstrate that you care.

How much do you give to refugee charities? What do you actually DO to help?

Confected outrage.

I don't have a problem with Bristol University offering scholarships to existing "refugees" (as long as they aren't actually illegal immigrants).I just say we don't take any more. And we start getting serious about kicking out illegals.

Trust me that is the way this country is going. The way the whole of Europe is headed.

The whole continent has had it with "refugees." If the politicians don't get a grip, it will get very very ugly.

OK, so this is your attempt to turn a thread about into a mouth frothing rant about refugees. Well, I couldn't care less about how much you hate them, how many others are as hateful as you and what you want this country to be like. Being a keyboard warrior isn't going to make a difference :lol:

None of that drivel even warrants a response.
(edited 7 years ago)

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending