The Student Room Group

Should I keep doing 4 or drop a subject.

My grades are:
Maths - A
Chemistry - B
Physics - C
ICT - B (2 off an A)

I will definitely not drop Maths as thats what I want to do a university but I'm no sure about the rest. I am going to keep ICT because its all course work meaning although it is a lot of work it is easier to get a high grade and I finish early so I will only have the other subjects for exams.

I would love to keep 4 because I love physics as a subject but by my grades this would be the one I drop. I also love chemistry so I'm stuck and don't know whether to do 4 or not because it would be a lot of work and I also have other commitments. Thank you.
For academic enjoyment, yes. I did 4 and found it stimulating.

Doing it to look more appealing to universities, no.
Original post by Chelsea_W
My grades are:
Maths - A
Chemistry - B
Physics - C
ICT - B (2 off an A)

I will definitely not drop Maths as thats what I want to do a university but I'm no sure about the rest. I am going to keep ICT because its all course work meaning although it is a lot of work it is easier to get a high grade and I finish early so I will only have the other subjects for exams.

I would love to keep 4 because I love physics as a subject but by my grades this would be the one I drop. I also love chemistry so I'm stuck and don't know whether to do 4 or not because it would be a lot of work and I also have other commitments. Thank you.

If I was you, I would probably drop physics anyway because a C at AS for a subject continued to A2 rings alarm bells for top-end universities so you would be much better off going into A2 with ABB in your continued subjects. Unless you think that your physics result was out of character for you, dropping it is the best choice in my opinion. If you think that you did do much worse than expected though, I would drop IT because it isn't particularly liked by unis.

Also, I would get that IT exam remarked if you haven't already.
Reply 3
Original post by DavMax15
If I was you, I would probably drop physics anyway because a C at AS for a subject continued to A2 rings alarm bells for top-end universities so you would be much better off going into A2 with ABB in your continued subjects. Unless you think that your physics result was out of character for you, dropping it is the best choice in my opinion. If you think that you did do much worse than expected though, I would drop IT because it isn't particularly liked by unis.

Also, I would get that IT exam remarked if you haven't already.

Thank you thats really good advice and from that I think I will drop physics cause I know I can get the high grades in ICT and this will mean for a month before the exam I will have only two subjects to revise for. Thank you.
Thank you thats really good advice and from that I think I will drop physics cause I know I can get the high grades in ICT and this will mean for a month before the exam I will have only two subjects to revise for. Thank you.

Good luck with it, I'm sure you'll do great.
Reply 5
My grades are:
Maths - A
Chemistry - B
Physics - C
ICT - B (2 off an A)

hey! whilst I can't offer direct advice relating to those subjects (I do eng lit, history, french and philosophy) I received similar grades and am continuing all four through. Although I understand everyone is different remember academically you are predicted to go up a grade in the next year, that would leave you with AAAB potentially, which although unis aren't looking or massively impressed with four a levels, they do tend to lower a grade on the three they look for (maybe A*AA to AAA) which is worth consideration. I think if you have handled this year you will be fine, and doing four always leaves you room for one of them to go wrong. Best of luck! x
Reply 6
Original post by (h)ell
hey! whilst I can't offer direct advice relating to those subjects (I do eng lit, history, french and philosophy) I received similar grades and am continuing all four through. Although I understand everyone is different remember academically you are predicted to go up a grade in the next year, that would leave you with AAAB potentially, which although unis aren't looking or massively impressed with four a levels, they do tend to lower a grade on the three they look for (maybe A*AA to AAA) which is worth consideration. I think if you have handled this year you will be fine, and doing four always leaves you room for one of them to go wrong. Best of luck! x

I did 12 A levels and i didnt even miss out on any sesh'
I did maths, chemistry, biology and classics to A2 and I can honestly say that I regret not dropping classics after AS.

Don't jeopardise your overall grades for the sake of impressing universities. To do a subject because you enjoy it is quite silly as well. If I like classical history I can just study it as a hobby, I could have read the Aeneid now in my three months of summer holiday instead of the night before the exam (when it also clashed with maths)!

Be wary though, I had some really hard working friends who did only maths/chem/bio at A2 and they surprisingly didn't get straight A grades. It all comes down to your willpower and how hard you study.

Quick Reply

Latest