The Student Room Group

Economics or Mathematics at Cambridge?

Hi, I'm a student who is about to be starting year 12 in September and am doing A Level Maths, Further Maths, Economics and English Lit. Currently, I plan to study either Economics or Mathematics at Cambridge, although if my GCSEs aren't as expected I will re-evaluate that.
If I achieve my predictions, I will receive 10 A*s and 2As at GCSE so hypothetically, which degree subject am I more likely to be invited to interview for with these grades and which is generally the easiest to get accepted for?
Also, I'm just wondering if my predicted grades would be competitive for Cambridge?
Thanks.
Original post by DavMax15
Hi, I'm a student who is about to be starting year 12 in September and am doing A Level Maths, Further Maths, Economics and English Lit. Currently, I plan to study either Economics or Mathematics at Cambridge, although if my GCSEs aren't as expected I will re-evaluate that.
If I achieve my predictions, I will receive 10 A*s and 2As at GCSE so hypothetically, which degree subject am I more likely to be invited to interview for with these grades and which is generally the easiest to get accepted for?
Also, I'm just wondering if my predicted grades would be competitive for Cambridge?
Thanks.

I don't have much input on this, but I will say you should be choosing your course based on what you enjoy more, rather than which is more/less competitive. They're pretty different courses. Read up on each of them and think about it.

Good luck with the results; 10 A*s and 2 As is pretty good. :tongue:

Spoiler

(edited 7 years ago)
Reply 2
Original post by StrangeBanana
I don't have much input on this, but I will say you should be choosing your course based on what you enjoy more, rather than which is more/less competitive. They're pretty different courses. Read up on each of them and think about it.

Good luck with the results; 10 A*s and 2 As is pretty good. :tongue:

Spoiler

Thanks for the reply, ATM I'm more looking at competitiveness with each subject because I have no experience with A-Levels yet - I may end up hating economics. Also, I'm aiming for a career in investment banking and I understand that both degrees can get me there. It's early days but I like to plan ahead and am not confident that I would succeed in the STEP, although I really enjoy Maths. That's the main reason why I'm considering economics as an alternative.
Reply 3
Thanks for the reply, ATM I'm more looking at competitiveness with each subject because I have no experience with A-Levels yet - I may end up hating economics. Also, I'm aiming for a career in investment banking and I understand that both degrees can get me there. It's early days but I like to plan ahead and am not confident that I would succeed in the STEP, although I really enjoy Maths. That's the main reason why I'm considering economics as an alternative.

Investment banking is a horrible job

Ah, fair enough.

Economics does not make it any easier to get into investment banking.
Reply 6
Original post by BasicMistake
Economics does not make it any easier to get into investment banking.

Yeah but I might be able to get into the economics course more easily, that's what I was enquiring about.
Apparently some people start the maths tripos and then change to economics. Not that I think it's a good idea to plan such a thing, but it's worth knowing.

I'm sure I've read that the Economics course is quite maths heavy. You also have to consider that Step is a massive part of the admissions process for Maths, and be ready to commit to preparing for that. Of course, the step preparation will probably make the A levels considerably easier.

Why don't you have a look at some of the course content and think about whether it's something you would want to commit 3 years if your life to?
Yeah but I might be able to get into the economics course more easily, that's what I was enquiring about.

Application statistics should be evaluated with caution but the acceptance rate for economics is 14% whereas the acceptance rate for maths is 20%. In a vacuum and all else being equal, maths is easier to get into but it depends more on your ability and interest.
Reply 9
Original post by BasicMistake
Application statistics should be evaluated with caution but the acceptance rate for economics is 14% whereas the acceptance rate for maths is 20%. In a vacuum and all else being equal, maths is easier to get into but it depends more on your ability and interest.

Are those percentages based on the people who get offers or the people who achieve their offer requirements and get accepted?
Reply 10
Are those percentages based on the people who get offers or the people who achieve their offer requirements and get accepted?

You can see for yourself
http://www.undergraduate.study.cam.ac.uk/apply/statistics

BUT don't stress about offer or acceptance rates. Fundamentally you are unlikely to be successful applying to Cambridge unless you are very engaged (ie passionate) about your course.

Give yourself time to find the right course, for the right reasons.

Posted from TSR Mobile

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending