The Student Room Group

Should I retake English Language GCSE?

I'll be going into year 13 in September and I've started to realise a lot of the unis I want to apply to list a English Language GCSE at grade B. Is there some leniency with this or would it be best for me to resit?

I got a C btw
Original post by ashaun727
I'll be going into year 13 in September and I've started to realise a lot of the unis I want to apply to list a English Language GCSE at grade B. Is there some leniency with this or would it be best for me to resit?

I got a C btw

It'll probably be best to resit

I got a C btw

There can be surprisingly little leniency over English Language (and Maths) requirements at GCSE. Good unis often use it as the first criterion by which to weed out applicants.
Reply 3
Original post by trabajadora
It'll probably be best to resit

Original post by ageshallnot
There can be surprisingly little leniency over English Language (and Maths) requirements at GCSE. Good unis often use it as the first criterion by which to weed out applicants.

Thanks for the advice, do you know if I'd be able to sit the exam in November, or would I have to wait till June since I'm in year 13?
Thanks for the advice, do you know if I'd be able to sit the exam in November, or would I have to wait till June since I'm in year 13?

You need to speak to your college/sixth form about this (and if they can't offer a November sitting see if any other local colleges will - getting results in August a week after A level results day could seriously impact on your application (if you need clearing or are applying somewhere that allocates accommodation after results)).
Reply 5
Original post by PQ
You need to speak to your college/sixth form about this (and if they can't offer a November sitting see if any other local colleges will - getting results in August a week after A level results day could seriously impact on your application (if you need clearing or are applying somewhere that allocates accommodation after results)).
Yeah that's what I'm thinking, if I'm not able to resit in November I think I'll just apply to unis that require a C and skip the resit.

I've just emailed my tutor so hopefully she'll let me know soon

Quick Reply

Latest