The Student Room Group

What to write about for Higher English Reflective Essay?

I honestly have no idea what to write about for my Higher English reflective essay, it was the folio which caused me to get a B at National 5, and I'm certain it was the reflective essay that was the problem not the persuasive essay... So yeah I know you're meant to write about an experience that's happened to you, but the only things that I can write lots about aren't the happiest of things e.g. family problems... So can people give me some ideas about what they wrote about and I'll try and just imagine that these things actually happened to me? Would be really grateful! We haven't been given a date for our first draft yet but the final draft is to be handed in for the middle of October.
(edited 7 years ago)
Original post by ___Sophie___
I honestly have no idea what to write about for my Higher English reflective essay, it was the folio which caused me to get a B at National 5, and I'm certain it was the reflective essay that was the problem not the persuasive essay... So yeah I know you're meant to write about an experience that's happened to you, but the only things that I can write lots about aren't the happiest of things e.g. family problems... So can people give me some ideas about what they wrote about and I'll try and just imagine that these things actually happened to me? Would be really grateful! We haven't been given a date for our first draft yet but the final draft is to be handed in for the middle of October.
Remember it can be reflective or creative. You could do a monologue?
Original post by Labrador99
Remember it can be reflective or creative. You could do a monologue?

Unfortunately our teacher is making us do reflective, otherwise I probably would have done creative
Unfortunately our teacher is making us do reflective, otherwise I probably would have done creative
You could perhaps do the reflective to satisfy your teacher (I have never done a reflective piece before as I did creative for both N5 and Higher, so I have no ideas for you-sorry!) and then do a creative at the same time or at a later date if you are not happy with the way the reflective one turns out? Remember also that although many (possibly most) reflective essays are about negative experiences, many are also about positive experiences. You could write about when you achieved/won something, went on a trip, or you could even reflect on the experience doing exams for the first time and the anticipation of results/how you felt on results day? If you really can't think of anything or don't know what to write, speak to your teacher- they might be more helpful/accommodating than you'd think! Hopefully this is helpful :smile:
(edited 7 years ago)
Original post by Labrador99
You could perhaps do the reflective to satisfy your teacher (I have never done a reflective piece before as I did creative for both N5 and Higher, so I have no ideas for you-sorry!) and then do a creative at the same time or at a later date if you are not happy with the way the reflective one turns out? Remember also that although many (possibly most) reflective essays are about negative experiences, many are also about positive experiences. You could write about when you achieved/won something, went on a trip, or you could even reflect on the experience doing exams for the first time and the anticipation of results/how you felt on results day? If you really can't think of anything or don't know what to write, speak to your teacher- they might be more helpful/accommodating than you'd think! Hopefully this is helpful :smile:

Yeah maybe.. I quite like the idea of reflecting on the experience of doing my exams for the first time, never thought of that. I'll see what I can do, thanks! :smile:
Yeah maybe.. I quite like the idea of reflecting on the experience of doing my exams for the first time, never thought of that. I'll see what I can do, thanks! :smile:
No problem. Happy to help :smile:
Reply 6
Our teacher for Higher mentioned one time to us we could write about something we enjoy - a hobby for example - so I wrote mine on my love for books, what different books meant to me etc etc (got 28/30 for my folio so must have been good lol)
For AH I wrote a reflective about a meeting I had with an ex after we had broken up - (26/30 for my folio that year, and my poetry submission was... Questionable. So that must have done pretty well too - I think mainly because of the acerbic tone and literary allusions)

It's not really the topic that the marker will judge you on tbh, it's how well it is written and how effectively you are personally reflecting. Write about something that is about you as a person and let your personality shine through in your writing.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending