The Student Room Group

should i go to a (kinda) friend's wedding?

OK, a guy I know is getting married in the near future and weve known each other for 18-20 years due to parents being family friends (asian connection). thing is though, we were sorta friends and we keep on good terms with each other (that and I used to mentor him when I was in high school / sixth form).

thing is however is that there are a few roblems:
1) we havent really been in much contact since 2013 (he moved elsewere and working fulltime whereas I am working odd hour shifts :|)
2) the invite wasnt so much for myself but for either of my parent's (neither of whom want to attend due to personal reasons)
3) I hate weddings (i get bored so easily and always do something clumsy, stupid or both)

4) I used to be best friends with his fav cousin about ~8 years ago...and im kinda terrified of speaking to her / going anywhere near her.

Spoiler

apologies for the long-winded 4th point but should I avoid my (sorta) friend's wedding or not? cheers guys

Scroll to see replies

Original post by Anonymous
OK, a guy I know is getting married in the near future and weve known each other for 18-20 years due to parents being family friends (asian connection). thing is though, we were sorta friends and we keep on good terms with each other (that and I used to mentor him when I was in high school / sixth form).

thing is however is that there are a few roblems:
1) we havent really been in much contact since 2013 (he moved elsewere and working fulltime whereas I am working odd hour shifts :|)
2) the invite wasnt so much for myself but for either of my parent's (neither of whom want to attend due to personal reasons)
3) I hate weddings (i get bored so easily and always do something clumsy, stupid or both)

4) I used to be best friends with his fav cousin about ~8 years ago...and im kinda terrified of speaking to her / going anywhere near her.

Spoiler

apologies for the long-winded 4th point but should I avoid my (sorta) friend's wedding or not? cheers guys

Seems like it would be quite an entertaining scenario, given the circumstances, haha. Were the letters specifically addressed to your parents?
For all the reasons you gave, there is no need to go .So don't go because it seems like you are not ready to face neither your friend nor his cousin.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Lol, in your situation, I wouldn't go. Up to you though...
I think if you can (can being it doesn't pose too many practical problems and there will be enough potential for you to enjoy the event) then go! Weddings can be an opportunity for people to reconnect (the aren't always but it sound like this old friends is having such a wedding) and doing so can be really rewarding. The fact that you received an invite means they're very open to that! Is there anyone else you'll know there?
I think if you can (can being it doesn't pose too many practical problems and there will be enough potential for you to enjoy the event) then go! Weddings can be an opportunity for people to reconnect (the aren't always but it sound like this old friends is having such a wedding) and doing so can be really rewarding. The fact that you received an invite means they're very open to that! Is there anyone else you'll know there? At the end of the day though it comes down to whether you have any interest in being friends.

The girl sounds like she can act of a bit iffy... perhaps limit the time you spend socializing with her at the wedding. You're not obliged to be her friends and it sound slike you have plenty of reason not to want to be. Enjoy !
(edited 7 years ago)
Original post by GradeA*UnderA
Seems like it would be quite an entertaining scenario, given the circumstances, haha. Were the letters specifically addressed to your parents?

actually, to all the guys in our semi-social group, it was only the parents who were invited (that even 1 parent not both) so a lot of us are peeved. its more worrying for those who are multiple children per household :|

in fairness, asian weddings usually have guest lists dictated by parents, so it can be expected the parents would be chosen in preference to us lot
actually, to all the guys in our semi-social group, it was only the parents who were invited (that even 1 parent not both) so a lot of us are peeved. its more worrying for those who are multiple children per household :|

in fairness, asian weddings usually have guest lists dictated by parents, so it can be expected the parents would be chosen in preference to us lot

I see. Well, I wouldn't recommend going then.
Original post by goodstudent1
For all the reasons you gave, there is no need to go .So don't go because it seems like you are not ready to face neither your friend nor his cousin.

Posted from TSR Mobile

actually facing my friend isnt a problem (last hung out in july when he was down here and went on a restaurant run). his cousin is a different matter completely as I want to avoid her at all costs (and she is the only person to make me speechless / super flustered). ill think about going or not and let you guys know in the coming week
If you don't wanna go then don't go. If you guys are solid you don't need to be there.
I see. Well, I wouldn't recommend going then.

thing is however, a lot of weddings where its the parents invited, the kids go instead. tradition is that as long as someone from your household goes usually. annoying thing is that other members of my family are going (and as anyone from asian / Mediterranean / middle eastern extended families will tell you, aunts / uncles are crapheads)
Original post by yungaheartz
If you don't wanna go then don't go. If you guys are solid you don't need to be there.

thign is though, we're not supertight (friends, not best friends). I mean, we dont tell each others secrets and have memorable experiences but we have shared experiences growing up, used to play 5 aside with each other and some other stuff.
thing is however, a lot of weddings where its the parents invited, the kids go instead. tradition is that as long as someone from your household goes usually. annoying thing is that other members of my family are going (and as anyone from asian / Mediterranean / middle eastern extended families will tell you, aunts / uncles are crapheads)

Hmm, the fact that you've given me reasons on why you could go, kinda implies you want to go. Plus, you haven't let go of this girl either; she's evidentially still on your mind. Is there a possibility you want to go this wedding because of her?
Original post by Chief Wiggum
Lol, in your situation, I wouldn't go. Up to you though...

the problem with the

Spoiler

is that 1 parent is disabled and the other cant drive. considering the wedding is far away (think 50 miles~), that can be an issue if something happens and especially as my aunts / uncles are attending are absolute t***s
I would only go if there was free alcohol
thign is though, we're not supertight (friends, not best friends). I mean, we dont tell each others secrets and have memorable experiences but we have shared experiences growing up, used to play 5 aside with each other and some other stuff.

yeah but as you said you USED TO. I used to be friends with a lot of people too but am not anymore. i mean if i saw them in the streets of course i'd still be friendly with them but if they were to ever invite me to a wedding i wouldn't go if i was no longer close with them.

only go to weddings you NEED to go to. as in you won't be forgiven if you don't go. so close friends and family members. i never go to random peoples weddings or old acquaintances weddings. only went to a strangers wedding once as someones date
Hmm, the fact that you've given me reasons on why you could go, kinda implies you want to go. Plus, you haven't let go of this girl either; she's evidentially still on your mind. Is there a possibility you want to go this wedding because of her?

tbh, id rather confront her in a private setting, I wouldnt really want to go to a public event with her attending. Ill admit she is on my mind to a degree but im at the stage where id like to know what she thinks of me honestly and irregardless of like or dislike, i be happy with it.

I do want to go for the friend though, but i kinda dont want to be embarrassing on the day / do something embarrassing.

it also doenst help 1 have a 12 hour shift the following day 8-8
I would only go if there was free alcohol

its as dry as your humour attempts to be :wink:
Original post by yungaheartz
yeah but as you said you USED TO. I used to be friends with a lot of people too but am not anymore. i mean if i saw them in the streets of course i'd still be friendly with them but if they were to ever invite me to a wedding i wouldn't go if i was no longer close with them.

only go to weddings you NEED to go to. as in you won't be forgiven if you don't go. so close friends and family members. i never go to random peoples weddings or old acquaintances weddings. only went to a strangers wedding once as someones date

its kinda the situation where someone from the house needs to go. as Ive said previously, we still hang out on occasion, but just not supertight.

but agreed, im kinda in the dont go camp atm but family friend obligations / saying congrats to the dude is making me want to go :|
tbh, id rather confront her in a private setting, I wouldnt really want to go to a public event with her attending. Ill admit she is on my mind to a degree but im at the stage where id like to know what she thinks of me honestly and irregardless of like or dislike, i be happy with it.

I do want to go for the friend though, but i kinda dont want to be embarrassing on the day / do something embarrassing.

it also doenst help 1 have a 12 hour shift the following day 8-8

I think you know the answer to your question.
I'm pretty sure there are plenty of private settings in a wedding.
( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°)

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending