The Student Room Group

Robot wars is BACK!

Scroll to see replies

Episode 5 predictions. :waffo:

Apollo - New to the heavyweight division, though the team did enter earlier series with featherweight and antweight robots. Looks like a very good flipper (they claim they can throw a 100kg robot 6 feet into the air), seems well armoured, could be a real threat.

Eruption - Despite Apollo's promise, I'm putting my faith in Eruption's tried and tested flipper, which boasts a superior 10 feet flipping power. Twice UK champion at Fighting Robotics Association events. I'm liking the new gripping claw and paint job, as despite the fact Eruption was always fun to watch, it was also quite boring to look at!

Kan-Opener - Claims to have the strongest crushing weapon in this series. A rebuild of the robot that, despite winning two Annihilator specials in Extreme 2 and Series 7, failed to get past round 1 of a main series in any of its three attempts.

PP3D - Built and captained by Gary Cairns, from the same team that previously entered with controversial Series 7 winners Typhoon 2 - so this is the closest thing we have to a Robot Wars reigning champion if you discount the live show awards. The weapon looks great, but the wheels look vulnerable...

Sabretooth - The team's previous two TV appearances didn't end well, but I have to say their new machine looks gorgeous. :coma: Probably the nicest looking robot this series, and featuring some great weapons. Plastic armour though...

Storm 2 - And here's the robot that controversially lost to Typhoon 2 in Series 7. I hope they and PP3D survive their melees so we get to see a grudge match, though whether or not they'll reference stuff from the original run on TV is another thing. In addition to their battering ram speed and power, and the lifter they had in S7, they now have an interchangeable vertical flywheel.

Sweeney Todd - I though this looked quite impressive for an all-new machine from a team completely new to the sport... then I saw the weight. 45kg. Under S7 rules, this would be a middleweight. I wonder how high Apollo will be able to flip what is effectively half a robot?

Terror Turtle - :rofl: Usually found topping lists such as 'least effective S7 robot', with 0 wins and 4 losses to its name. The main robot looks unchanged, still sporting part-wood, part-fibreglass, part-aluminium, all fragile armour. They used the extra weight allowance on a weaponless minibot. Cannon fodder.

My prediction to win the heat: Eruption.
(edited 7 years ago)
Original post by AngryJellyfish

Apollo - New to the heavyweight division, though the team did enter earlier series with featherweight and antweight robots. Looks like a very good flipper (they claim they can throw a 100kg robot 6 feet into the air), seems well armoured, could be a real threat.

Eruption - Despite Apollo's promise, I'm putting my faith in Eruption's tried and tested flipper, which boasts a superior 10 feet flipping power. Twice UK champion at Fighting Robotics Association events. I'm liking the new gripping claw and paint job, as despite the fact Eruption was always fun to watch, it was also quite boring to look at!

Kan-Opener - Claims to have the strongest crushing weapon in this series. A rebuild of the robot that, despite winning two Annihilator specials in Extreme 2 and Series 7, failed to get past round 1 of a main series in any of its three attempts.

PP3D - Built and captained by Gary Cairns, from the same team that previously entered with controversial Series 7 winners Typhoon 2 - so this is the closest thing we have to a Robot Wars reigning champion if you discount the live show awards. The weapon looks great, but the wheels look vulnerable...

Sabretooth - The team's previous two TV appearances didn't end well, but I have to say their new machine looks gorgeous. :coma: Probably the nicest looking robot this series, and featuring some great weapons. Plastic armour though...

Storm 2 - And here's the robot that controversially lost to Typhoon 2 in Series 7. I hope they and PP3D survive their melees so we get to see a grudge match, though whether or not they'll reference stuff from the original run on TV is another thing. In addition to their battering ram speed and power, and the lifter they had in S7, they now have an interchangeable vertical flywheel.

Sweeney Todd - I though this looked quite impressive for an all-new machine from a team completely new to the sport... then I saw the weight. 45kg. Under S7 rules, this would be a middleweight. I wonder how high Apollo will be able to flip what is effectively half a robot?

Terror Turtle - :rofl: Usually found topping lists such as 'least effective S7 robot', with 0 wins and 4 losses to its name. The main robot looks unchanged, still sporting part-wood, part-fibreglass, part-aluminium, all fragile armour. They used the extra weight allowance on a weaponless minibot. Cannon fodder.

I wonder if your predictions will be more accurate this week? :angel: :tongue:
omg i always forget this is on and then get excited when i see this thread :excited:
Original post by Deyesy
I wonder if your predictions will be more accurate this week? :angel: :tongue:

It would make a nice change. :moon: Though if Eruption did go out, I'd be just as happy to see Storm 2 or Sabretooth advance. Wrong for a 4th time, but still happy. :p:
I thought the last episode was great. It's always entertaining to see the House Robots get beaten at their own game.

Results spoiler

Spoiler

(edited 7 years ago)
Original post by Deyesy
Results spoiler

Spoiler

I'm always close. :moon: Or Te never happened. :nah:

Terror Turtle hold onto their 'never beyond round 1' title from the original shows, along with Sabertooth and unfortunately Kan Opener. The latter two looked greatly improved, but both had problems. I really hope we'll be seeing them again.

I'm a huge supporter of Storm 2/ram bots in general. The show has given the team a hard enough time in the past as it is! Their battle against Steel Avenger for example was anything but boring.

[video="youtube;vhFX01xgNyE"]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vhFX01xgNyE[/video]

Admittedly though, I preferred their faster S7 speeds. And it's a huge shame we didn't get to see their flywheel, though I did like their flipper and how quickly it allowed them to self-right.

Overall, this was my favourite episode, as any of the four that escaped the first round melees could have won it TBH, so none of the fights were predictable. There weren't any robots like Foxic or King B Remix that just happened to survive. I actually thought Apollo were the least likely of the four to come out on top, due to their wheel/drive issues, but their weapon certainly made up for it. :coma:
(edited 7 years ago)
Robot wars is kind of a joke after watching Battlebots. It's lovely and quaint and all that, a wooden robot, a softly spoken, sardonic Irishman, a little hole in the floor that robots fall down... Seriously though. I want fire. Robots getting thrown 10 feet in the air, enthusiastic hosts, a show format that's not completely and utterly crap. Basically I want it to be American, because it's ROBOTS and WAR and because they absolutely love it, and do it properly *https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=e8i25GtQJpg *
[video="youtube;Qq7ZFB2VFWY"]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Qq7ZFB2VFWY[/video]
Reply 169
Anyone else think the house robots have been a bit naff this series? Never really involved, not doing much/any damage and almost an after thought?
My final chance to pick a heat winner. :moon:

Beast - A very good flipper in the live shows... but the live shows didn't have spinners, and I think their lack of armour will pose a bit of a problem here! Should escape the first melee, at least.

Chompalot - Looks largely unchanged from Series 6 / Extreme 2. Not a terrible robot, but outdated, and looks the weakest in its opening melee.

Crazy Coupe 88 - It may have weapons on the front and the back, but those wheels look like an inviting target... thin armour as well. Doesn't look like the most dangerous spinner in the heat.

Gabriel - Gabriel's wheels are the main course. :yes: I love what I've seen of them in live show recordings, but I'll be amazed if they leave in one piece. :giggle:

Infernal Contraption - Went out in the first rounds of Series 6 and 7, and didn't fare much better in side events. Another one with nice, exposed wheels. :biggrin:

Ironside 3 - Possibly the most dangerous looking horizontal spinner in the whole series. But I'm not going to fall for such an obvious trap and tip them to win. :noway: I predict they'll end up damaging themselves or something.

Pulsar - We've not really seen any amazing vertical spinners yet, so I'm hoping Pulsar won't disappoint. They state their weak point is their wheels and the armour protecting them, but looking at the other robots in this episode, they shouldn't worry about that. :p:

Thermidor 2 - Great to see them back, but I feel the design is a bit dated compared with flippers like Apollo and TR2. Thin armour, exposed wheels (seems to be this week's theme), and I doubt the now-active claws will manage to do much.

My prediction to win the heat - Pulsar. :puppyeyes:
Wow, Great episode. Weird bending of the rules. House Robots seem to only interfere when they can put the robot back into the competition.

The finale next week will be great.

5 Episode spoilers

(edited 7 years ago)
Reply 173
It's going to be a spinner that wins I think. Crushers just can't get through armour anymore. Amazed that Gabriel didn't get ripped apart tbh!

All the robots from the older series clearly need to up their robots, they're just not built to take the abuse anymore.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by dhr90
It's going to be a spinner that wins I think. Crushers just can't get through armour anymore. Amazed that Gabriel didn't get ripped apart tbh!

All the robots from the older series clearly need to up their robots, they're just not built to take the abuse anymore.

Gabriel's certainly tougher than I gave it credit for - it always did well in the live shows, but as I said before, the live shows didn't have spinners. :giggle:

I wouldn't count out the flippers, as spinners don't react well to landing on their weapons. The spinners are also likely to be targets in the opening melees, if they don't manage to take out one of the others first.

I agree on your last point, hopefully the veterans will come back with updated versions of their old robots, or even entirely new ones where the designs are clearly too outdated to stand a chance. Tornado and Hypnodisc are examples of teams that sat this series out because they knew they wouldn't hold up anymore, and didn't have enough time to start from scratch.
(edited 7 years ago)
Gabriel's certainly tougher than I gave it credit for - it always did well in the live shows, but as I said before, the live shows didn't have spinners. :giggle:

I wouldn't count out the flippers, as spinners don't react well to landing on their weapons. The spinners are also likely to be targets in the opening melees, if they don't manage to take out one of the others first.

I agree on your last point, hopefully the veterans will come back with updated versions of their old robots, or even entirely new ones where the designs are clearly too outdated to stand a chance. Tornado and Hypnodisc are examples of teams that sat this series out because they knew they wouldn't hold up anymore, and didn't have enough time to start from scratch.

What about Typhoon 2? Would he hold up?
Original post by HelpusPleasus
What about Typhoon 2? Would he hold up?

Of all the spinners from the first run, they'd probably have the best chance. :dontknow: Though their lack of self-righting mechanism would have been an issue, these days most flippers have tougher armour and can take a few hits. I think that Typhoon team captain Gary Cairns made the right choice when he made his new robot PP3D invertible. :yes:
(edited 7 years ago)
Original post by dhr90

Posted from TSR Mobile

I disagree, Hypno-disk is not in the show, same for Chaos 2 and Mortis, I think that they would have done well, and Razor got done over by the pit.
Original post by The_Opinion
I disagree, Hypno-disk is not in the show, same for Chaos 2 and Mortis, I think that they would have done well, and Razor got done over by the pit.

:lolwut:

Hypno-disc would have been ripped apart, in all likelihood, their armour was very weak by today's standards, and the disc less powerful and slower to spin up than this series' Carbide. The team chose not to enter this year because their old robot wasn't up to it, and they didn't have time to upgrade it.

Chaos 2 would have been even more obsolete. They're from Series 3, back in 1999, and did well back then because they were the first flipper of their kind. Every successful flipper since has built upon and improved upon that early design. Chaos 2 couldn't flip as highly as Apollo, Eruption, or many flippers from Series 5-6 like Dantomkia, Gravity and Bigger Brother. Very weak armour as well. I'd love for the team to return, but again I'm sure they know they'd need something new.

Mortis' axe would pale in comparison to that of Thor or Terrorhurtz, it wasn't even powerful enough to help them flip over again. They always had problems with their axe or tracks jamming as well. Didn't escape the heats after Series 3 (again, that's 16+ years ago), so I can't see why they'd do any better here.

While it was a shame to see Razer go out the way they did, I still believe they wouldn't have gone much further even if there was no pit. Crushers just aren't the scary weapons that they used to be.
:lolwut:Hypno-disc would have been ripped apart, in all likelihood, their armour was very weak by today's standards, and the disc less powerful and slower to spin up than this series' Carbide. The team chose not to enter this year because their old robot wasn't up to it, and they didn't have time to upgrade it.Chaos 2 would have been even more obsolete. They're from Series 3, back in 1999, and did well back then because they were the first flipper of their kind. Every successful flipper since has built upon and improved upon that early design. Chaos 2 couldn't flip as highly as Apollo, Eruption, or many flippers from Series 5-6 like Dantomkia, Gravity and Bigger Brother. Very weak armour as well. I'd love for the team to return, but again I'm sure they know they'd need something new.Mortis' axe would pale in comparison to that of Thor or Terrorhurtz, it wasn't even powerful enough to help them flip over again. They always had problems with their axe or tracks jamming as well. Didn't escape the heats after Series 3 (again, that's 16+ years ago), so I can't see why they'd do any better here.While it was a shame to see Razer go out the way they did, I still believe they wouldn't have gone much further even if there was no pit. Crushers just aren't the scary weapons that they used to be.
Razer was unique out of the crushers, the crushers usually suck, Razer was the exception, I'm sure that it crusher would have one the job in this series.

Regarding Hypno-disk, armour was never the strong suit of that robot, it was all about the attack, and I still think that it would have pummelled lots of robots in this series, I would love to see it vs that really strange robot with the giant sword and huge wobbly wheels from the last episode, (I have forgotten the name of it).

Quick Reply

Latest