The Student Room Group

Why would you wanna be a midwife?

Why would you want to be a midwife? What makes you want to become a midwife? How is it rewarding? Why in general?
Original post by Kalikuku
Why would you wanna be a midwife?

Witnessing first-hand and helping in executing the greatest miracle does not sound like reason enough?
Reply 2
Original post by Kendrik Lamar
Witnessing first-hand and helping in executing the greatest miracle does not sound like reason enough?

Unfortunately if you told universities that, it won't be enough.
Some ideas for you:
- Service to the community
- Service to society
- Character building (growing everyday in your job, facing new challenges, seeing make slices of life, diversity of patients)
- Responsible (enjoy responsibility)
- Demanding/ challenge (thinking on feet, reacting quickly, staying cool, performing procedures, could give examples of how you've shown these qualities in the past)
- Real world purpose (rather than office or desk job, need to feel connected with work)
- Interested in life/ biology (could talk about how this sparked your interest in being a midwife, have you known any babies you in your family/friends circle recently?)
- A personal reason (do you know anyone that had a difficult labour? Don't make it all about this though, have to have other reasons too)
- Working hard (heads up, the shifts are long, so you could say that you enjoy working to the best of your ability and putting the hours in for a worthy goal, maybe gives example of this)
- Committed to medicine (you could talk more broadly about your believe in medicine and the importance of hospitals and medical services in modern societies, why you believe they are a cornerstone of society if you think that)
:smile:
(edited 7 years ago)
Reply 4
Original post by Des_Lumières
Some ideas for you:
- Service to society
- Character building (growing everyday in your job, facing new challenges, seeing make slices of life, diversity of patients)
- Demanding/ challenge (thinking on feet, reacting quickly, staying cool, performing procedures, could give examples of how you've shown these qualities in the past)
- Real world purpose (rather than office or desk job, need to feel connected with work)
- Interested in life/ biology (could talk about how this sparked your interest in being a midwife, have you known any babies you in your family/friends circle recently?)
- A personal reason (do you know anyone that had a difficult labour? Don't make it all about this though, have to have other reasons too)
- Working hard (heads up, the shifts are long, so you could say that you enjoy working to the best of your ability and putting the hours in for a worthy goal, maybe gives example of this)
- Committed to medicine (you could talk more broadly about your believe in medicine and the importance of hospitals and medical services in modern societies, why you believe they are a cornerstone of society if you think that)

Thank you!
Reply 5
Original post by Des_Lumières
Some ideas for you:
- Service to society

Does every little thing such as putting in hours for a worthy goal have to relate back to healthcare? Or can i say something like putting work into driving or something will help me get that goal of being able to drive in the end?
Original post by Kalikuku
Does every little thing such as putting in hours for a worthy goal have to relate back to healthcare? Or can i say something like putting work into driving or something will help me get that goal of being able to drive in the end?

Yes, I think you can. If you can use something like driving as a evidence to a broader point then that's really good - that's how you write a very good personal statement, by making strong points and backing them up with real evidence.
Reply 7
I considered midwifery at one point after I had my first child. As a clinical role, it stood out to me as one where your physical presence is really the most important thing, where you have an ability to make a difference merely by being in the room when a person is at her most vulnerable and most in need of support. The rewards are the greatest, but the stakes are also the highest. Possibly the trade off I got with SLT with the lower was the lesser importance of your physical presence for a successful outcome.*

I think things like this are what attract people to midwifery, the idea of working one to one with the body's natural processes. There isn't that distance that you get with many elements of medicine and the rewards are more tangible than some other areas of nursing. But you have to be aware that the stakes are high.

Have a think about that for your personal statement. Might help.*
Reply 8
Original post by giella
I considered midwifery at one point after I had my first child. As a clinical role, it stood out to me as one where your physical presence is really the most important thing, where you have an ability to make a difference merely by being in the room when a person is at her most vulnerable and most in need of support. The rewards are the greatest, but the stakes are also the highest. Possibly the trade off I got with SLT with the lower was the lesser importance of your physical presence for a successful outcome.*

I think things like this are what attract people to midwifery, the idea of working one to one with the body's natural processes. There isn't that distance that you get with many elements of medicine and the rewards are more tangible than some other areas of nursing. But you have to be aware that the stakes are high.

Have a think about that for your personal statement. Might help.*

Oooo thank you! It was really inspring to read aha. I will incorporate some of that (not the part about having a child aha)

Quick Reply

Latest