The Student Room Group

Going Into Second Year - AMA Freshers!

Just finished first year, if you have any questions AMA :smile: !
Reply 1
Would it be stupid of me to wait until after freshers week to get a job or should I apply day one?

Thanks for doing this by the way, what uni are you at?
What degree did you do and was it harder than your A levels?
Will you adjust the way you revise next year? If so, what will you change?
Original post by Alexoso
Would it be stupid of me to wait until after freshers week to get a job or should I apply day one?

Thanks for doing this by the way, what uni are you at?

At Uni of Nottingham :smile: ! I would apply during freshers week so you can be ahead of everyone else. Although personally I never actually had a job at uni so I wouldnt base your decision on me!
Original post by TercioOfParma
What degree did you do and was it harder than your A levels?

I do Computer Science at Uni of Nottingham. As hard as that may sound I found it easier than A Levels. I had loads of free time and it just required to complete the coursework in time for deadlines, my first semester exams were a lot easier than A2s however second semester was a lot hard than A2s.

Depending on your course, the difficulty can vary, but for the most part (in my opinion) First Year will be easier than A-Levels.
Original post by Exceptional
Will you adjust the way you revise next year? If so, what will you change?

Definitely! I didnt revise a lot in first year, only a month before exams. This year I actually need to do well (not just 40%) so I will be concentrating a lot more on revising and planning rather than partying towards the exam period!
Original post by ScruffyQuaver
I do Computer Science at Uni of Nottingham. As hard as that may sound I found it easier than A Levels. I had loads of free time and it just required to complete the coursework in time for deadlines, my first semester exams were a lot easier than A2s however second semester was a lot hard than A2s.

Depending on your course, the difficulty can vary, but for the most part (in my opinion) First Year will be easier than A-Levels.

Thanks, I'm doing that course at uni next year at another uni.
Reply 8
Was it easy to settle in and make friends? :smile:
Were you friends with anybody or did you know anybody that didn't drink? If so, were they ostracised from a lot of social activities because of that?
Did you stay close with you people you met during freshers or make other friends elsewhere?

What exams did you actually do? Maybe if you had studied the hardest subjects like Phsyics, Maths, F Maths etc. then first year may have been a step down? Does second year feel more difficult?

What exams did you actually do? Maybe if you had studied the hardest subjects like Phsyics, Maths, F Maths etc. then first year may have been a step down? Does second year feel more difficult?
Original post by ed98
Was it easy to settle in and make friends? :smile:

I found it very easy, on day one I found some people on a facebook chat who wanted to explore uni campus. So I went off with them and we all became great mates. I knocked on all the doors in my block and said hi.

Everyone else is trying to make friends, same as you so don't worry about it 😊
Original post by TheTakers
Were you friends with anybody or did you know anybody that didn't drink? If so, were they ostracised from a lot of social activities because of that?

Great question to ask because one of my best friends wont drink a single drop of alcohol. He will happily go to predrinks (and chat with people) and loves clubbing and has a tonne of fun with us even though he doesnt drink! I envy him because of how much money he saves.
Original post by Des_Lumières
Did you stay close with you people you met during freshers or make other friends elsewhere?

Made a lot of friends during freshers who went on to become my main circle of mates, they were in and around my block of flats. However I did of course make friends with people on my course, but the people I met at freshers are still my best friends!

Original post by TrojanH

Exams at A level or uni? At A level you are correct, I did not study the typical hard exams, I did Sociology, Computing and IT. However my friends have mainly done Maths and Sciences and they also say the Uni first year is a lot more chill.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending