The Student Room Group

I got AAAB in Maths, Chemistry, DT and physics respectively at AS Level...

I want to study physics at university, with these AS grades which unis should I aim for? Also will the B in physics effect my application?
Original post by Lexidan
I want to study physics at university, with these AS grades which unis should I aim for? Also will the B in physics effect my application?

The obvious answer will be that it's dependent on the university - top ones require at least an A, where most actually want a B.

The A in maths will definitely help.

I just want to congratulate you for your A in DT - Not an easy subject and requires BARE material knowledge.

You can send it for a remark if you wish. Does this grade count towards you final grade?
If not then be sure to know your stuff. Aim high
(edited 7 years ago)
Original post by Lexidan

I think that you should be able to be competitive for most universities as you have three As at AS level. However, it may seem weird to unis that you're applying to study your worst subject in AS and this could concern them. Was the physics results lower than expected? If not, I would perhaps consider applying for another type of degree. Maths degree??
Reply 3
Original post by Maths is Life
The obvious answer will be that it's dependent on the university - top ones require at least an A, where most actually want a B.

The A in maths will definitely help.

I just want to congratulate you for your A in DT - Not an easy subject and requires BARE material knowledge.

You can send it for a remark if you wish. Does this grade count towards you final grade?
If not then be sure to know your stuff. Aim high

I'm looking at universities like Leeds and Sheffield which is AAB at A2 level. No the physics grade doesn't count, and my predict grade is an A for next year.

Thanks for replying
Reply 4
Original post by DavMax15
I think that you should be able to be competitive for most universities as you have three As at AS level. However, it may seem weird to unis that you're applying to study your worst subject in AS and this could concern them. Was the physics results lower than expected? If not, I would perhaps consider applying for another type of degree. Maths degree??

Yes, I didn't expect to get a B in physics, predicted higher, so yes lower than expected, I'll do better next year, aha!
Original post by Lexidan
Yes, I didn't expect to get a B in physics, predicted higher, so yes lower than expected, I'll do better next year, aha!

Yeah you should do fine, physics is reformed (isn't it??) so the marks won't go towards your final grade anyway. Good luck.
Reply 6
Original post by DavMax15
Yeah you should do fine, physics is reformed (isn't it??) so the marks won't go towards your final grade anyway. Good luck.

Yes it is, new syllabus, so it won't count. Thank you!

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending