Hehe I'm older than you
Respect your elders remember

Lolol, only 3 days babe, only 3 days

Posted from TSR Mobile
Same as mine :wink:

Original post by Serine Soul
XXIII?
Original post by camaieu
Hi! Re: tech things. For MML, I used a Windows laptop in 1st and 2nd year, and then I bought a Mac and used it during my 4th year. I certainly didn't encounter any issues with owning a Windows laptop, even if most people, including supervisors, used Macs. Lots of my mates had Windows computers as well - don't panic!

Re: specs. For MML, you're just going to be writing essays, and maybe taking notes during lectures (although pen and paper always served me well!). So nothing too fancy. Just make sure you've got a word processor and, as far as your academic needs are concerned, you're sorted! Anything else is personal preference and a bonus :smile:*

Thanks a lot for the detailed reply!

Now an off topic question: what languages did you do while studying MML and what are you currently doing (or what are your future perspectives). I'm asking because what people usually tell me when I say I chose to study languages is that I'm going to be poor and without a bright future whatsoever. (But I let them talk, never ever believed them actually). What do you think? :smile:
Original post by Zacken
Does anybody know how accomodation a King's work? They said that they have a 35 week lease (instead of the 29 week) (quote) "35 week lease (running from October to June minus 2-3 weeks over Christmas)." - does that mean I'll be booted out over Christmas??? Do internationals get special priority for getting these 35 week leases in all three years?

I think most people don't stay during christmas but I'm pretty sure they rent out accommodation over every holiday. whether you'd then need to rent from the college independently from the term time stuff idk.
Original post by fodw
Supervisors should be able to provide compatible files if you ask them. There is no reason they should expect students to have macs.

Most importantly, most documents are compatible between different computers, in particular pdf. If in doubt, ask for a pdf file.

Thanks for your quick reply :smile:
XXIII?

Original post by EricPiphany
Same as mine

You're a day younger than me............and a few years.
(edited 7 years ago)
Original post by Zacken
Does anybody know how accomodation a King's work? They said that they have a 35 week lease (instead of the 29 week) (quote) "35 week lease (running from October to June minus 2-3 weeks over Christmas)." - does that mean I'll be booted out over Christmas??? Do internationals get special priority for getting these 35 week leases in all three years?

If you need to stay over Christmas, many colleges do allow you to with pre-arrangement. In some cases you may have to move to another room during a holiday stay and go,back to your own room before a term starts, but it shouldn't be too much problem
In some rare cases, you may even have to go and stay in another college just over Christmas period or go to another college for meals (not many students stay over Christmas, so some colleges co-work to save manpower/cost) .

How each college deal the things over Christmas changes every year as the situation they have varies each year, so you need to speak to the college when you died what you want to do for Christmas.
(edited 7 years ago)
Original post by EnglishMuon
I think most people don't stay during christmas but I'm pretty sure they rent out accommodation over every holiday. whether you'd then need to rent from the college independently from the term time stuff idk.

Original post by vincrows
If you need to stay over Christmas, many colleges do allow you to with pre-arrangement. In some cases you may have to move to another room during a holiday stay and go,back to your own room before a term starts, but it shouldn't be too much problem
In some rare cases, you may even have to go and stay in another college just over Christmas period or go to another college for meals (not many students stay over Christmas, so some colleges co-work to save manpower/cost) .

Ah, thank you very much. I presume this is the sort of stuff I can email them about in a months time? :smile:
Original post by Zacken
Ah, thank you very much. I presume this is the sort of stuff I can email them about in a months time? :smile:

Seen my edit?

They may not know how exactly they might do for this year's Christmas yet, so you may only get 'general' info at this stage.
But there're always some international students who want to stay in Cambridge over Christmas, so it's never impossible.
Seen my edit?

They may not know how exactly they might do for this year's Christmas yet, so you may only get 'general' info at this stage.
But there're always some international students who want to stay in Cambridge over Christmas, so it's never impossible.

Ah, just saw it. That's a big reassurance. Amusing typo btw. :tongue:

so you need to speak to the college when you died what you want to do for Christmas.

thanks again. :smile:
You're a day younger than me............and a few years.

There's a few years between me and serine too...
Original post by Gingerlamps1335
I can't believe I got in!! Is anyone else going to St catharines or doing Law??

Woo! First Catz fresher!

(Catz second-year here.)
Original post by Zacken
Ah, just saw it. That's a big reassurance. Amusing typo btw. :tongue:

thanks again. :smile:

What if it's not a typo? :wink:

:tongue:
Original post by EricPiphany
Same as mine :wink:

Autumn equinox babes
Cambridge in Christmas :daydreaming:
Cambridge in Christmas :daydreaming:

I know right?! I've never seen snow before in my life, ecstatic that the first time I do will be at dreamy Cambridge.
Original post by Zacken
I know right?! I've never seen snow before in my life, ecstatic that the first time I do will be at dreamy Cambridge.

I can't remember the last time it snowed on Christmas here ngl but there should be some in Jan/Feb!

Ah, going out on cold, foggy mornings, walking past the river to lectures...

Current students do you always stay in awe or does it just become normal after a while?
I can't remember the last time it snowed on Christmas here ngl but there should be some in Jan/Feb!

Current students do you always stay in awe or does it just become normal after a while?

It becomes normal after a while (until you go and visit another college or something then the camera comes out). What it has done though is make me appreciate the Welsh hills more when I go back home.

I guess you kind of see both home and Cambridge as a tourist sometimes when you've been away for a while.

2004 = The last White Christmas in UK

http://www.metoffice.gov.uk/learning/snow/snow-at-christmas

Quick Reply

Latest