The Student Room Group

How do prescriptions work?

There's a treatment that isn't on the NHS but requires a doctor to prescribe it. I get free prescriptions, but it would seem to conflict with it not being on the NHS.

Anyone help me figure this out?
You'd need to pay to see a private doctor and get a private prescriprion. You'd then pay for the real cost of the item (not the £8.20 or so the nhs would charge - which you may want to check to make sure it's something you're willing to pay).
Reply 2
Original post by dcthorpe
There's a treatment that isn't on the NHS but requires a doctor to prescribe it. I get free prescriptions, but it would seem to conflict with it not being on the NHS.

Free prescriptions only apply to NHS prescriptions. It is possible in some rare cases I think that it is something not on the NHS but that is prescribed by the NHS and exceptions will be made, but on the most part you can expect to pay for anything outside of the NHS.
Original post by dcthorpe

Move to Scotland where the prescriptions are free and you won't be ripped off like people are in Tory England who plan to privatise the NHS.
Reply 4
Original post by Ambitious1999
Move to Scotland where the prescriptions are free and you won't be ripped off like people are in Tory England who plan to privatise the NHS.

They still wouldn't be able to get a drug which is not routinely available on the NHS though.
Original post by Ambitious1999

In Scotland where the English taxpayer pays for your prescriptions you mean ?

You really have been mis led by the rhetoric of the blasted St Nicola and her acolytes
Original post by Helenia
They still wouldn't be able to get a drug which is not routinely available on the NHS though.

PRSOM

also i do wonderwhat the effacicy of the 'other' treatment is if it;s not routinely prescribed in the NHS.
Reply 7
Your NHS doctor will prescribe it if appropriate however you'll have to pay for it when you collect it. Simple as that!

Quick Reply

Latest