The Student Room Group
Carr Saunders Halls, LSE
London School of Economics
London

Do I have a chance at LSE

GCSE: 2 A* (Maths + Business studies) 4 A's and 3 B's
AS: Maths (A) Further Maths (B) Economics (B) Physics (C)

I want to do a Maths and Economics Degree

Scroll to see replies

What are your predictions, and are they realistic? Are the B's close to an A?

Their offer is A*AA so you'll have to convince them that you can get that, and they state they want Further Maths to be an A. They also look at GCSE performance, but probably compare it to your school average if possible. Given how competitive it is, it seems unlikely unless you write a killer personal statement I'm afraid.
(edited 7 years ago)
Carr Saunders Halls, LSE
London School of Economics
London
Original post by JRKinder

Their offer is A*AA so you'll have to convince them that you can get that, and they state they want Further Maths to be an A. They also look at GCSE performance, but probably compare it to your school average if possible. Given how competitive it is, it seems unlikely unless you write a killer personal statement I'm afraid.

My prediction is going to most likely be A*A*A. I am 1 mark off an A. I just had 2 bad exams which i will be retaking. I came top 16 for my school gcse. Does this help?
Original post by Nuggetsarelife
My prediction is going to most likely be A*A*A. I am 1 mark off an A. I just had 2 bad exams which i will be retaking. I came top 16 for my school gcse. Does this help?
Well those predictions exceed the standard offer so you'll be fine on that front, but be sure to ask your school to mention how close you were to an A in your academic reference. Did you have any extenuating circumstances, because this might help your case? To be perfectly honest, they get so many people applying with amazing grades that they place more emphasis on the personal statement than your grades, although they are still extremely important. If you work hard at A2 then A*A*A is very achievable still. You make sure your personal statement is spot-on.

Oh and your GCSE performance is fine, if that's the case. I was only wondering because at some private or grammar schools those GCSE's may be considered below average, but if you were in the top 16 then you should be fine. As the other poster stated, if you don't get the offer this time you could always take a gap year and reapply in the next cycle.
Well those predictions exceed the standard offer so you'll be fine on that front, but be sure to ask your school to mention how close you were to an A in your academic reference. Did you have any extenuating circumstances, because this might help your case? To be perfectly honest, they get so many people applying with amazing grades that they place more emphasis on the personal statement than your grades, although they are still extremely important. If you work hard at A2 then A*A*A is very achievable still. You make sure your personal statement is spot-on.

Oh and your GCSE performance is fine, if that's the case. I was only wondering because at some private or grammar schools those GCSE's may be considered below average, but if you were in the top 16 then you should be fine. As the other poster stated, if you don't get the offer this time you could always take a gap year and reapply in the next cycle.

Ok thank you and No i didnt have any extenuating circumstances its just that this year they had very hard papers. Do you think it will look more impressive if my grade was a B but my teacher targeted me an A* showing im very capable? And also thanks for the gcse info that was the main concern
Original post by gymrat
In all honesty, you're better off applying after you get your a levels (A*AA +) and hope for an unconditional offer

Whys this?
Ok thank you and No i didnt have any extenuating circumstances its just that this year they had very hard papers. Do you think it will look more impressive if my grade was a B but my teacher targeted me an A* showing im very capable? And also thanks for the gcse info that was the main concern
For Maths/FM was your exam board AQA by any chance? I did A2's this year and the exams were utter sh*t, so much more difficult than in past years. And in regards to your question it depends, it could show that you're capable in maths but they may also question whether or not you really are capable of getting that since you were a little way from 90 UMS this year. That's why it's so important to mention that you were only 1 UMS off an A, although I have heard of instances where LSE send you a separate form asking for your UMS across each unit so they may do that anyway. It's a tough one honestly, my advice is to go for it if you genuinely believe you can meet the offer and can make a good PS, but don't be surprised if you get rejected since the competition is crazy. Even if you had a flawless application then I'm sure they could find a reason to reject you lol, equally they may love what you write and want to offer you a place!
For Maths/FM was your exam board AQA by any chance? I did A2's this year and the exams were utter sh*t, so much more difficult than in past years. And in regards to your question it depends, it could show that you're capable in maths but they may also question whether or not you really are capable of getting that since you were a little way from 90 UMS this year. That's why it's so important to mention that you were only 1 UMS off an A, although I have heard of instances where LSE send you a separate form asking for your UMS across each unit so they may do that anyway. It's a tough one honestly, my advice is to go for it if you genuinely believe you can meet the offer and can make a good PS, but don't be surprised if you get rejected since the competition is crazy. Even if you had a flawless application then I'm sure they could find a reason to reject you lol, equally they may love what you write and want to offer you a place!

Nope lol Edexcel for me, FP1 was too hard this year and d2 has heavy mark questions. I haven't really made attention to other unis, just LSE lol, so if i get rejected RIP to me

Sorry But i have more question. Ive been looking at oxbridge and other good uni economics interviews and they bring up a lot of unknown topics and theories which i have no clue about. Do we learn all of this in year 13. If so hows that even possible to do before january?
Nope lol Edexcel for me, FP1 was too hard this year and d2 has heavy mark questions. I haven't really made attention to other unis, just LSE lol, so if i get rejected RIP to me
Ah right, yeah in Core 3 this year it was just 53/75 raw marks for an A* compared with around 65/75 in past years! Luckily the grade boundaries saved me and I managed to get an A* :biggrin:

Well I think it's time to give some attention to other unis then! Warwick and UCL are other good alternatives to LSE with the same grade requirement, but you will probably want to put one or two safer options just to make sure. Bear in mind though, for Warwick you will be required to do STEP for Maths+Econ, but not for straight Economics (not sure about UCL, you may want to check).
Ah right, yeah in Core 3 this year it was just 53/75 raw marks for an A* compared with around 65/75 in past years! Luckily the grade boundaries saved me and I managed to get an A* :biggrin:

Well I think it's time to give some attention to other unis then! Warwick and UCL are other good alternatives to LSE with the same grade requirement, but you will probably want to put one or two safer options just to make sure. Bear in mind though, for Warwick you will be required to do STEP for Maths+Econ, but not for straight Economics (not sure about UCL, you may want to check).

Can you answer my other question aswell please its up there ^. And nice one getting that A*. and im looking to stay close for unis preferably within london so UCL sounds great
Sorry But i have more question. Ive been looking at oxbridge and other good uni economics interviews and they bring up a lot of unknown topics and theories which i have no clue about. Do we learn all of this in year 13. If so hows that even possible to do before january?
As far as I'm aware, except in particular cases Oxbridge are the only universities that invite you to an interview. I think UCL sometimes invite people to an open day where they have an informal interview, but from what I've heard if you receive that invite you've basically got an offer. I can't really say about A level economics since my school didn't offer it, but when I did my interview at Oxford last December for PPE the professors just talked to me about general world issues. The politics people focussed on the Greek elections and the rise of ISIS, the economics people got me to do a maths problem and interpret a graph, and the philosophy guy asked me to differentiate between the words 'knowledge', 'wisdom' and 'intelligence'. Since not all schools offer A level economics they'll never ask about course content. Wider reading will definitely help you though.
Reply 12

Hi, Im currently studying a diploma in Finance and Investment in a local college u in Malaysia (second year now)and hope to do a finance degree in Lse.

My cgpa are around 3.7, but I got B in Introduction in Accounting and and B+ in Fundamental in Accounting, i dont knw if thats important. I got A and A- for other finance and math subject. Im not good in accounting.

Do you think i stood a chance?
Original post by Mcr342
Hi, Im currently studying a diploma in Finance and Investment in a local college u in Malaysia (second year now)and hope to do a finance degree in Lse.

My cgpa are around 3.7, but I got B in Introduction in Accounting and and B+ in Fundamental in Accounting, i dont knw if thats important. I got A and A- for other finance and math subject. Im not good in accounting.

Do you think i stood a chance?
Hi there, I'm very sorry but I'm not familiar with Malaysia's examination system so I can't really comment on the grades, but you can check LSE's website and they'll tell you what the standard offer is which is what you'll need to aim for. I can say, however, that regardless of whether you have the grades or not then you really need to focus on writing your personal statement. They get so many applications with identical grades that the PS is needed to differentiate applicants, so you'll need to really stand out on that front. If you are currently below the required grades then you have an uphill battle, but I've heard of cases where people get offers with low grades so it's always worth applying and seeing what happens. Good luck!
I will be brutally honest since I know that's what I would want.

Your application will not be very competitive.

Maths and Economics degrees are the most competitive at LSE. Your AS grades may make LSE surprised at why you have such high A2 predictions. It's especially alarming that you only got a B in the Economics, one of the honours you want to study.

LSE are especially picky about GCSEs, and 2 A*s is quite low for them.

You could make it your 'risky' choice, but there's risky and then there's, er, risky.
Original post by Abstract_Prism
I will be brutally honest since I know that's what I would want.

Your application will not be very competitive.

Maths and Economics degrees are the most competitive at LSE. Your AS grades may make LSE surprised at why you have such high A2 predictions. It's especially alarming that you only got a B in the Economics, one of the honours you want to study.

LSE are especially picky about GCSEs, and 2 A*s is quite low for them.

You could make it your 'risky' choice, but there's risky and then there's, er, risky.

Ok thank you. But will the fact that the Grade B was the highest in my school for economics this year as majority got D/E, help me. Due to the low quality of teaching. And also i know my gcse arent high enough and that what annoys me. I started paying attention to gsce in year 11 whereas i did all the coursework in year 9 in which i didnt put a lot of effort in
(edited 7 years ago)
Ok thank you. But will the fact that the Grade B was the highest in my school for economics this year as majority got D/E, help me. Due to the low quality of teaching. And also i know my gcse arent high enough and that what annoys me. I started paying attention to gsce in year 11 whereas i did all the coursework in year 9 in which i didnt put a lot of effort in

LSE, and all the universities you apply to, will have access to contextual data. They'll know in general if your sixth form/secondary school was below average. But if you want them to know you were the best, you should ask your referee to mention it in your reference. They might pay attention to it. Might not though. I wouldn't think it would change things too much.

I feel your pain for GCSEs because I also didn't put effort it. There's nothing we can do about it now though. We just have to adjust accordingly. That's why I'm specifically avoiding LSE, because they are so picky about GCSEs. Have you considered UCL instead?
Original post by Abstract_Prism
LSE, and all the universities you apply to, will have access to contextual data. They'll know in general if your sixth form/secondary school was below average. But if you want them to know you were the best, you should ask your referee to mention it in your reference. They might pay attention to it. Might not though. I wouldn't think it would change things too much.

I feel your pain for GCSEs because I also didn't put effort it. There's nothing we can do about it now though. We just have to adjust accordingly. That's why I'm specifically avoiding LSE, because they are so picky about GCSEs. Have you considered UCL instead?

Yes but they require A*A*A or A*AA + step which is very difficult i must say
Yes but they require A*A*A or A*AA + step which is very difficult i must say

Yes, it is.

But if you feel you can't make the offer anyway, is it really worth applying?
I got higher AS and I'm getting lower predictions than you wtf

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending