The Student Room Group

can i join with this

I'm currently debating joining the RMP after my public services course. I am 16 and i think i am diagnosed with asthma. when i say that i think this is because i have not needed to use my inhaler from around a year and a bit and even though i have an inhaler at home and have it as a prescription i don't use it. the last time i went to the doctors for asthma was about a year and a half ago and they said it was just because i had bit of a cold for some reason and the doctors have always told me its 'mild' asthma which i understand as i hardly ever get it. i want to join when in 18 but will i be able to and if i was to get a doctors note now saying i don't have it anymore will i be able to join when I'm 18. if not is there any other way to make sure i can get in the rmp when I'm 18 or is there not? the asthma does not affect my fitness or health in anyway now and i exercise daily without any problems and always have.

second part to the question, i have hypothyroidism which basically means i have an under active thyroid. i have this for life and can not be cured properly apart from taking 2 tablets every morning prevents it happening and stops me having an under active thyroid. i don't see anyway that this would affect my health or fitness as long as i take the tablets but I'm just wondering if this would hinder my application in any way?

also would the asthma affect my asthma even if its just past asthma. many thanks, ben.
Original post by BH1234
I'm currently debating joining the RMP after my public services course. I am 16 and i think i am diagnosed with asthma. when i say that i think this is because i have not needed to use my inhaler from around a year and a bit and even though i have an inhaler at home and have it as a prescription i don't use it. the last time i went to the doctors for asthma was about a year and a half ago and they said it was just because i had bit of a cold for some reason and the doctors have always told me its 'mild' asthma which i understand as i hardly ever get it. i want to join when in 18 but will i be able to and if i was to get a doctors note now saying i don't have it anymore will i be able to join when I'm 18. if not is there any other way to make sure i can get in the rmp when I'm 18 or is there not? the asthma does not affect my fitness or health in anyway now and i exercise daily without any problems and always have.

second part to the question, i have hypothyroidism which basically means i have an under active thyroid. i have this for life and can not be cured properly apart from taking 2 tablets every morning prevents it happening and stops me having an under active thyroid. i don't see anyway that this would affect my health or fitness as long as i take the tablets but I'm just wondering if this would hinder my application in any way?

also would the asthma affect my asthma even if its just past asthma. many thanks, ben.

Hi,

Thank you for getting in touch. You would need to be at least 3 years clear from asthma without the need for any medication during this time, before you can apply to join the British Army. Unfortunately I am not medically trained, however an under active thyroid could stop you from joining the British Army.

I would have a chat with our Medical Admin Team by calling 0345 6008080 and they will be happy to advise you further.

Regards
ArmyJobs
Reply 2
Original post by ArmyJobs
Hi,

Thank you for getting in touch. You would need to be at least 3 years clear from asthma without the need for any medication during this time, before you can apply to join the British Army. Unfortunately I am not medically trained, however an under active thyroid could stop you from joining the British Army.

I would have a chat with our Medical Admin Team by calling 0345 6008080 and they will be happy to advise you further.

Regards
ArmyJobs

i have spoken to them and they said that as long as i get clear for asthma for 3 years and have my hypothyroidism under control (which i already do) then I'm fine! thanks!
my friend just got in with current asthma and inhaler so id say your asthma wouldnt be an issue because she has more than 1 disqualifying symptom
Reply 4
Original post by LandoCruz
my friend just got in with current asthma and inhaler so id say your asthma wouldnt be an issue because she has more than 1 disqualifying symptom

Stop spamming old threads with dodgy info.

Latest