The Student Room Group

Help an American choose Oxford/LSE Course (PLEASE HELP!!!)

Scroll to see replies

Reply 20
Original post by Cat and Goldfish
Actually history joint school applicants also get considered for straight history in Oxford. i.e. if you apply for H&P, you can be offered a place for history if they think you are strong enough for history but not as so for politics. It explains partly why acceptance rates for joint honours are lower (as those accepted for history aren't included)

I asked that question to Oxford if I apply to H&P and could get an offer for straight History and they said absolutely not... :frown:
Reply 21
(edited 7 years ago)
Original post by jneill

You shouldn't focus on "prestige" for prestige sake... focus on finding the right course that will engage you for 3 years.

But I do get his/her point. Whilst prestige shouldn't be a driving factor, it is undeniable the university you attend can have an impact on your future. Great unis offer great uni life and a better chance of securing a good job afterwards.
Reply 23
Original post by The Clockwork Apple
But I do get his/her point. Whilst prestige shouldn't be a driving factor, it is undeniable the university you attend can have an impact on your future. Great unis offer great uni life and a better chance of securing a good job afterwards.

I did suggest the new Cambridge HisPol course :wink:
Original post by jneill
I did suggest the new Cambridge HisPol course :wink:

True haha!
Original post by jneill
X

Hi, could you have a look at my PM? Thanks :smile:
Original post by joebobby
History and Politics has a far lower acceptance rate, that is my only apprehension of choosing that course. History has an acceptance rate of 23%, history and politics is 13%.

The UK system is very different. By acceptance rate, Oxford Brookes is more difficult to get into than getting into Oxford.
Oh that's pretty unexpected 😨 Cuz I just applied last year to History & Economics and the tutors asked in interview whether I'd be happy to also be considered for straight history, and then I got an offer for history. Maybe they've changed that..? But I think it's quite unusual maybe ask one more college or the history faculty to confirm
Hello Everyone,

I am an American applicant who is trying to decide on which course to apply for at LSE. I am very interested in Investment banking, however, all of my AP scores are Government/History related. Which is why I am applying for History at Oxford.

With that info, Is it possible to also apply to Government at LSE and History at Oxford. Couldn't I focus my personal statement on governments over the last 50 years like the Asian tigers (Singapore / Taiwan)?

My reasoning for not applying to LSE History is that the course has a far lower acceptance rate compared to Government (20% to 11%). In addition, LSE Government allows students to take more outside options, which means I can take basic econ/accounting courses for IBanking.

Thank you for your time!

Another thread? :colonhash: You've already got your answer, see here: http://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/showthread.php?t=4256252
Reply 29
Original post by Cat and Goldfish
Oh that's pretty unexpected 😨 Cuz I just applied last year to History & Economics and the tutors asked in interview whether I'd be happy to also be considered for straight history, and then I got an offer for history. Maybe they've changed that..? But I think it's quite unusual maybe ask one more college or the history faculty to confirm

That is really good to here. I emailed the main Oxford admissions team and they said absolutely not. But I will call my top three colleges! Thanks for your help.
Reply 30
Original post by Snufkin
Another thread? :colonhash: You've already got your answer, see here: http://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/showthread.php?t=4256252

Oops my bad, I had two drafts of the question and accidentally posted the second one today. Sorry about that, I will try and delete it. :colondollar:
(edited 7 years ago)
I am applying for History at Oxford and Government at LSE. I am considering applying for history at LSE as well but it seems considerably harder in terms of quality of applicants and acceptance rate like Oxford H&P.

Is there a reasonable chance of creating a good PS about these two subjects?

My father said I could write about my interests with governments in the past like the Asian Tigers (Singapore / Taiwan). But he studied in India and B-School and Canada, so he doesn't know too much about UK schools! :smile:

I think it would be pretty easy to make a PS tailored to both History and Government. As you've said, you can just talk about government/politics in an historical context.

Make sure that you focus more on LSE than Oxford when it comes to the PS, though. Oxford has interviews + admissions tests where they can assess you further, LSE has neither.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending