The Student Room Group

[Past Year 11's] Did you do worst or better than you expected in your GCSEs?

The exam stress is getting to me and I'm beginning to doubt myself as are many people on TSR, I'd just like to know how you felt about the outcome of your results.

Honesty is key as I don't want people getting my hopes up then have it all come crashing down haha.

Thanks guys :smile:

Scroll to see replies

Better, but not good as I didn't really care.
Reply 2
Before my GCSEs, I spoke to a person who is two years above me who said that students tend to reflect too much over their mistakes and generally underestimate their performance. I was also worried from about a week before the results day and had a habit of guessing where I lost marks. It turned out that I did in fact underestimate my GCSE performance by five A*s.

I didn't really care about AS Level results until about a week before the day as the Olympics were there to distract me. Though I did panic on the day as I overslept which left me getting up at 9:40 am. Turned out I actually did fine that time too.
Was such a shock I did WAAAAY better than hoped! I aimed for AAAAABBBBB but got A*A*A*A*AAABBB. AS is another story ugh...
Original post by ImagineCats
Was such a shock I did WAAAAY better than hoped! I aimed for AAAAABBBBB but got A*A*A*A*AAABBB. AS is another story ugh...

My cousin who's the year above was in the same boat as you, good luck with your A levels bud (:

Original post by Palette
Before my GCSEs, I spoke to a person who is two years above me who said that students tend to reflect too much over their mistakes and generally underestimate their performance. I was also worried from about a week before the results day and had a habit of guessing where I lost marks. It turned out that I did in fact underestimate my GCSE performance by five A*s.

I didn't really care about AS Level results until about a week before the day as the Olympics were there to distract me. Though I did panic on the day as I overslept which left me getting up at 9:40 am. Turned out I actually did fine that time too.

Thanks for the story as it's given me some confidence in myself :redface: good luck with your A levels pal (:
Reply 5
Original post by JamDonuts4Life
My cousin who's the year above was in the same boat as you, good luck with your A levels bud (:

Thanks for the story as it's given me some confidence in myself :redface: good luck with your A levels pal (:

Thanks!
Out of curiosity, which GCSEs are you taking and which subjects are you most confident about?
Original post by Palette
Thanks!
Out of curiosity, which GCSEs are you taking and which subjects are you most confident about?

Late reply but I'm taking these GCSEs and I'll put them order of most confidence to least:

Need a B to study chosen subjects at A Level (*)
Physics OCR (*)
History OCR (*)
Maths CIE (*)
Chemistry OCR (* or biology)
English Literature AQA (*)
Religious Studies OCR
Biology CIE (* or chemistry)
Drama AQA
English Language AQA - Exam was horrible (*)
Reply 7
Pretty much what I expected tbh
Reply 8
I did way better than expected. 1 night of revision was the best thing about GCSEs.
Reply 9
The exam stress is getting to me and I'm beginning to doubt myself as are many people on TSR, I'd just like to know how you felt about the outcome of your results.

Honesty is key as I don't want people getting my hopes up then have it all come crashing down haha.

Well, I had varying emotions. Sometimes I felt I'd done well, sometimes I felt I'd done bad. I'd go over answers and potential marks in my head all the time. But I distinctly remember, though it was three years ago now, lying in bed the night before feeling somewhat confident and excited thinking "I've got 7 A*s and 3As" (actually my predicted grades, but also backed up by how my exams had went). I went into school next day, the examination officer/my history teacher gives me my results; it's 7A*s and 3As, with the As in the subjects I had assumed they'd be in lel.

(well, strictly speaking one of the "As" was an equivalent; Merit in some stupid I.T. qualification, but I was thinking of it as an A at that point)

I would've thought asking people how they did (on TSR) would worsen things.

I got 9A* 2A, happy for a few days, moved on with my life. I'm being quite honest when I say GCSEs don't really matter, so long as you're not chasing medicine or some Oxford courses.

Look on the bright side. You're worrying about your results and you've an account on TSR, that usually bodes to at least 6A* on results day.
Original post by GradeA*UnderA
I would've thought asking people how they did (on TSR) would worsen things.

I got 9A* 2A, happy for a few days, moved on with my life. I'm being quite honest when I say GCSEs don't really matter, so long as you're not chasing medicine or some Oxford courses.

Look on the bright side. You're worrying about your results and you've an account on TSR, that usually bodes to at least 6A* on results day.

'how ya doin' maate' :biggrin:

But cheers dude and the reason they matter to me is cause I'm currently at a piss poor school and the only chance I have of getting out is to get into the grammar school and secure a future for my A Levels.

Sidenote: I may have an account on TSR but I'm not the smartest chip on the block aha
'how ya doin' maate' :biggrin:

But cheers dude and the reason they matter to me is cause I'm currently at a piss poor school and the only chance I have of getting out is to get into the grammar school and secure a future for my A Levels.

Sidenote: I may have an account on TSR but I'm not the smartest chip on the block aha

Surely the GCSE requirements can't be that steep? Usually around multiple B grades including English and Maths, right?
Unless it's super selective, then there's a different story.
Surely the GCSE requirements can't be that steep? Usually around multiple B grades including English and Maths, right?
Unless it's super selective, then there's a different story.

It is 7 B grades, but I'm just terrified I ****ed up on English Lang and only got a C, hopefully my coursework will help me out :redface:
It is 7 B grades, but I'm just terrified I ****ed up on English Lang and only got a C, hopefully my coursework will help me out :redface:

I'd bet a fiver you've got a least a B. You actually use commas in your sentences, a lot of people don't :/.
Worse than expected, was expecting like A*'s got B's.
I'd bet a fiver you've got a least a B. You actually use commas in your sentences, a lot of people don't :/.

If you're in year eleven and you've not come to grips with simple grammar I don't think you've got the chances of anything above a U though to be fair lol :ahee:
Original post by Abstract_Prism
Worse than expected, was expecting like A*'s got B's.

ah. great.

B's are fine, but I'm expect A's/B's so = C's/D's :afraid:
Reply 18
If you're in year eleven and you've not come to grips with simple grammar I don't think you've got the chances of anything above a U though to be fair lol :ahee:

You should see the writing of some of my classmates who got Cs and Ds. It's so poorly written that it is difficult to comprehend; the grammar, and sometimes even the spelling, is all over the place.
Original post by 1 8 13 20 42
You should see the writing of some of my classmates who got Cs and Ds. It's so poorly written that it is difficult to comprehend; the grammar, and sometimes even the spelling, is all over the place.

If I got 3 mid-high B's in my coursework what do you think I'd need in the final exam to secure a B?

Quick Reply

Latest