The Student Room Group

UOB Full Time Masters and Part Time Job

So I start my course at UOB this September and I just wanted a bit of stress alleviating. My job requires me to work certain days, these are set in concrete and unavoidable. They are only Sunday and Monday, with the rest of the week to myself but I am worried that some of my lectures might occur on a Monday.
Does anyone have a precedent for this ? I did phone and ask and send an email to the university but have received no response, understandable due to the time of year.
Cannot really quit my job as it keeps me in a home with food haha.
Does anyone know if Saturday lectures or online / long distance ones can be substituted if you cannot do certain days?
Reply 1
Original post by rekbaklaw

Does anyone know if Saturday lectures or online / long distance ones can be substituted if you cannot do certain days?

There will be no weekend lectures. Unless sessions are already put online, you won't get any special facilities just for you. There will not be anything scheduled for those unable to get to lectures during the week. You are signing up to a full-time course and you are expected to make a commitment to full-time study.

At Masters level, missing contact hours can be pretty difficult, but it very much depends on how the teaching is delivered. On mine, a number of the modules worked as seminars. We did reading in advance, then the timetabled session was where the group got together and undertook a discussion guided by the lecturer. They were pretty intense but incredibly informative. Missing a lecture on a Masters course isn't necessarily going to be something you can just catch up with in your spare time.

If you miss all of the teaching for an entire module, then there's a risk that the uni will withdraw you. You might get lucky and find you have nothing timetabled for a Monday, but if your core modules are on a Monday then you're potentially going to have trouble completing the course. Had you considered part-time study? Although even with that, you won't know your timetable in advance and may still have the same issue.
(edited 7 years ago)
Reply 2
Original post by rekbaklaw
So I start my course at UOB this September and I just wanted a bit of stress alleviating. My job requires me to work certain days, these are set in concrete and unavoidable. They are only Sunday and Monday, with the rest of the week to myself but I am worried that some of my lectures might occur on a Monday.
Does anyone have a precedent for this ? I did phone and ask and send an email to the university but have received no response, understandable due to the time of year.
Cannot really quit my job as it keeps me in a home with food haha.

Really want to do your masters? Then I strongly suggest you start to look for a new job that youc an just do on the weekends so that the two won't clash.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending